Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

In Australia, men looking to buy shoes at bricks and mortar retail shops typically progress through five stages: denial (there will definitely be something decent I can buy, those other guys are just too picky!); anger (why the f*ck are Loakes $400?); bargaining (what about Florsheim? They really aren't that bad); depression (retail in Australia makes me want to hurt myself), and finally, acceptance (aka 'Pediwear').

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

That was a bizarre read..thanks for the heads up there. Know what my life is missing now, - its that bath at mid day!!

Eton, yeah, they are on the upper end of shirts $$ wise. But, I have Etons that are 4 years old and can honestly say they look excellent still and I only get a year or just out of Lewin's. What you need to do is play dumb with the sales guys and let them tell you all the features, ie fused collars, stitching detail of the button holes, particularly in the white ones Josephs have, nice features, quality fabric, Swedish made...enough said. Its a bore to listen to but a good seller will enlighten you.

3. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

... or Tassels HK from which I just ordered a pair of navy suede Alden saddle shoes ...

4. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

lol. QFT.

There's a final two stages that involve 1) concealing purchases from significant others; and 2) a return to denial as in 'I don't have a shoe fetish!'.

5. Windowpane1967

This is not an area I know too much about. Have always gone by the premise that if I cant have what I want, ie the shoes I want, I never settle for anything less, just keep saving my coin until I do get the ones I want. Ie, saved up for 18 months for C&J Tetburys, rather than succumb to the usual crap suede boots on offer around the traps. However, in saying this I thought I should at least be constructive and give you my best guess for the coin your outlaying.

Here goes,

FLORSHEIM OUTLET - HARBOURTOWN
    SHOP A23 HARBOURTOWN PERTH
    840 WELLINGTON STREET
    PERTH, WA 6005
    08 9486 7403

FLORSHEIM - HAY STREET
    SHOP 6
    726 HAY STREET MALL
    PERTH, WA 6000
    08 9485 1229

And perhaps these styles to carry you from wedding to funeral....

http://www.florsheim.com.au/shop/mens.html

and you have been to De Burghs, what about Paul Carrol and Sons. They also have LLoyds which, whilst nothing like they used to be are an ok shoe in the coin range your thinking about, especially if you hold hold until the June sales.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. Windowpane1967

Its the pick of the bunch here....geesh Im going to have lift my game.

7. Windowpane1967

Succinct as usual !!

8. Windowpane1967

Anyone that can make Richo and Ling look good deserve all the accolades they receive. Darcy an easier task, he seems to be more of a a natural.

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

It's DJ's. You ask for size, they find the size for you, they walk off to lunch, you try on, you leave shoe on floor, you walk out.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

What are you talking about? Ling has always been a handsome ranga who looks good in everything!

11. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what happened a few hours ago. Stood there waiting for a shop assistant to pop her out out from the back area, asked her for a size, she brought them back then disappeared. No additional help. Just left them on the counter and walked off.

Tried on these from the Evolution range - http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2986.php

Pretty much the same size as the other dress shoe's I've gotten (41). Albeit a little snug, but once worn in they would be perfect.

Looking at these Churchills (http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=5486).

Does anything think these would differ in sizing? They look pretty similar.

12. Windowpane1967

ohh I think thats a stretch blahman....great footballer, solid captain, perhaps even a ladies man, but...head like a beaten favorite!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

A campaign launched by Nick Hacko, who some of you might have heard of. I have bought a number of watches of Nick over the last few years, and his passion to watch making/collecting/restoration is amazing.

Its a petition against the monopoly that major Swiss watch houses have on parts and services. This not only pisses me off in terms of markups (often more than 1000%) but also is a huge business blow to traditional watchmakers and repairers.

If you feel inclined, please support.

http://save-the-time.org/

14. Windowpane1967

These are a nice choice. Just give Adrian your size, ie the 41 and also give him your actual foot measurement in cm's from heal to toe and obviously width. He will tell you what you need and from experience, he is spot on usually. Worst case senario, blokes from work trace their foot and PDF/mail it over to him. Either way its worth every cent and a good investment. Tears is all that can come from crap shoes

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Interesting I would have thought that given the bad press about DJs in the last week or so there would have been instructions from the top for their staff to be on their best behavior and making more of an effort. Seems not though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.