Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

I heard you ran the short run with grannies, mums with prams and little kids. And they all beat you.

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

For the last year or so, I've been getting my work shirts dry cleaned down at the newsagent near the corner of Collins and Spencer Sts. I'm moving back towards washing them at home for the reasons you mention about. I air dry my clothes inside the house on the second floor - the rising heat seems to help and they're dry after a day.

I'm finding ironing clothes and polishing shoes to be quite theraputic these days - must be my inner valet ...

3. elvish

elvish Senior member

Staying at the Westin because of the gf and wanting a relaxing holiday... probably not likely now.

group of us have organised a boat to take us to Wilkes and Cloudbreak :)

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Wet shirts also help cooling your place down in summer. Save on laundry, save on electricity bill, save the environment from nasty chemicals and greenhouse gasses!

And seeing the people on the 14K run I wouldn't be surprised that there were heaps of grannies, kids and pram pushers who kicked my arse on 5K run. :eek:

5. elvish

elvish Senior member

dble post

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Putting my runners hat on for a sec, you probably need to do more speed work Blahman. Intervals etc and one longer slow run of about 8-10km per week.

I'm starting from scratch after having 3 weeks off due to tonsillitis, building up a good base again, first run last night and it hurt even taking it easy. Back in the day when I was a serious triathlete (and 8kg lighter) I could manage am 18 min 5km off the bike in sprint races, those were the days! My last 5km race was mothers day classic last year and I clocked 22.15 hoping to go closer to 20. The thing with running and my favourite saying is it never gets easier, you just get faster.....

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

And following on from blahman, shirts should be damp when ironed. They don't need to be bone dry.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

He wasn't wearing socks. Major impediment.

9. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

No, this is not royal blue. Its more like this one (without the ugly stripes), however stil not quite what I was thinking. As soon as I received my Eton one I will post you a pick. Has the tie arrived yet?

[​IMG]

10. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Have as of late last year stopped all dry cleaning (pressing) of shirts. Despite the $3.00 minimal costs, I am not convinced that what they are doing is good for the shirts. I think they bugger them completely. My Dinner Shirts I do send to elaundry because I like the starching process, think it adds real value to the way Dinner Shirts look with all those pleats or the Marcella front. Now, I wash late on a Sunday, hang out to dry and then iron that night, almost semi damp. I find that this way the white shirts, with their difficult bastard italian cotton irons much better and looks soo much better than trying to iron dry with a little spray...just doesn't cut the mustard. Im just not in anyway convinced that the cotton in our top end shirts cope at all with the harsh Australian washing/dry cleaning standards. Perhaps for a Ganton or something like that with polyester in it maybe.

11. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

Lets hear them. Say I had up to $250 to spend on a black, versatile dress shoe. I think I’m a true 42 or 42.5 but it varies depending on brand so I’d rather not buy online. We have Gingers in Perth but I rarely see anything under $300. I usually wear streetwear but I’ll need something for interviews, weddings, funerals, etc. eventually.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

12. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

[​IMG]

13. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

It sounds like you might have to wait for sales to buy discounted Loake 1880s from DJs if you're not planning to buy online. Waiting to see what everyone else suggests.

14. jobro

jobro Senior member

They don't stock the 1880 line in Perth at the moment.

15. lychee

lychee Well-Known Member

I'm in Perth as well, going on an adventure today to see what DJ's and De Burgh's has from Loakes. Hopefully I can get some sizing done.

Will report back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.