Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

love those damn shoes!
    will need to try out cottonworks. Do they do custom measurments for arms? Not just length but size at your bicep and size at your wrist etc?

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey, every Aus member who hasn't uploaded a custom 'Avatar' picture: wanna do it? It takes two minutes and I'm sick of seeing the same pictures of shoes or whatever.

3. sochumpy

woh sorry bro [​IMG]

make me one mate and ill do it right now. I want a koala in shades drinking a beer while riding a kangaroo who is jumping over the opera house with an aussie flag superimposed in the background.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Today's outfit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Details:

Suit: MCM Studio
    Shirt: Lorenzini
    Tie: Isaia 7 fold
    Shoes: Crockett and Jones Weymouth
    PS: Kent Wang

Would this shirt be considered royal blue?

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

6. sochumpy

it will have to do for now

7. Gerry Nelson

This is very true! I soak them in a bucket of concentrated Napisan and that gets all my collar/cuff stains out as well. I couldn't believe it the first time I did it.This has also worked well for a cream wool/cotton sweater that had a couple of light sauce stains - all gone!

fxh, do you find that dry cleaning has an impact on the life of the shirt one way or another?

Good advice about the dryer, by the way - I can't remember the last time any of my things went in there.

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Looks good :)

9. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

From the picture... not royal blue; still within the realm of sky-blue.

Some suggestions:

1) Three solids (shirt, tie and suit) can be a little dull. Try to break the monotony with one or two distinct patterns (e.g. shirt = patterned, tie and suit and PS = solid; or shirt = patterned, PS = patterned, suit and tie = solid); three patterns or more can be tricky. I understand that the tie has a faint paisley pattern but imo, it's not distinct enough to break the solid sea.

2) PS correlates very strongly with the tie; this can create a visual imbalance, where the eye is drawn to the upper left (your left) quadrant of your body, when it should be drawn to your face. Again, break it up, maybe a PS with elements of blue or green in it? Or if you have a patterned shirt, just go with a white linen square.

My opinion FWIW.

Not a bad combination of colours overall though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

hmm im not sure its been so long since I've done my measurements. I did mine based on a good fitting shirt initially and have then tweaked a bit here and there, I think one of the shirt measurements to input may be the width of the sleeves though off memory. Check out the website anyway and see how you go.

11. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, CEP! I survived my first WYWRN post critique and now I need a coffee!

All very good points and I'll incorporate them going forward. You're right about the PS and tie coordinating very strongly - I've flipped it around so it looks like a white PS now :) I'll go for complementary rather than matching next time. It seems as though the pattern on the tie might be too subtle.

Btw, I just did a google search for royal blue (which I should have done in the first place!) and understand what you mean:

[​IMG]

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

Napisan is not just for white shirts. I throw all shirts Ina bucket full every now and then. Doesn't do any harm at all to colours. You can also get a napisan spray from memory I think to spray on collars prior to wash. The other useful thing for all cotton is a roll on type of soap stick by SARD. To get difficult stains out make a thick paste of soap or SARD and wet stain and rub the material together on itself with the paste. Then rinse. You can also do a spot stain on wool if you are careful and know what you are doing.

13. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Am a big fan of the SARD stick.

A combo of vinegar and bicarb is my favourite.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Never had a shirt dry cleaned. I think some dry cleaners wash or launder some shirts. Others here might have more experience or money. One of my brother in laws used to send all his shirts to the laundry /dry cleaners but at $3 a pop last I heard a few years ago it seemed a waste of money to me and very inconvienient. And he never even wore suits, just basic shirts many casual. You have to take shirts to cleaner once a week and pick up others. It means you can't wash and dry a shirt over night if you want. And I like to have them air on the line. Still I'm not In a 10th floor apartment in Docklands. edit.. I do know lots of mates who have had shirts dry cleaned while traveling in hotels etc and there's always a problem with broken buttons, odd ironed in creases etc, wrinkles on collar and you are stuck with it. I've never let anyone else iron my shirts. And I rarely wear a non-iron except for a few accidental purchases.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Run for the Kids results are out. 00:29:20. I'm pissed. Hoping to go under 28 min. Aiming for under 25minutes next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.