Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Looks like I'll be able to pop in for a quick drink tonight.

I'm not sure if I'll recognise anyone there so my plan is to find the group of men with the nicest shoes, will this work?

2. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

My proposed strategy too. :D

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I'm wearing a lapel flower, pocket square, double monks and a burgundy grenadine tie (closest I had to the 'official SF' tie [​IMG]) - if that's not a giveaway, I don't know what is ...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks Gerry. Socks feel very nice, quite soft. If you are going to wear socks they might as well be good quality and feel nice (but do we really need socks fxh). Found another good source for socks yesterday too - http://henrycarter.com.au/products-page/socks/ (shout out to Charlie's Wardrobe). will be using the Style Forum code SF10 for my next socks purchase there I would think.

PS Will PM/text you about a lunch shortly.

This should be the case. Or the burgundy knit tie (Australian Member Style Forum club tie).

Such a shame good quality shoes are so rare here (in Australia). In fact on the occasions I see them they often cause me to turn my head and give me a greater respect for the wearer (superficial - definitely, some of the finest people I know could care less about sartorial matters).

I work up in Melbourne's legal district and often you see people who have obviously put some thought and money into what they are wearing (not always too my taste or wisely spent money, but they clearly care about how they look) and then you look at the shoes....Dear, oh dear.

A good pair of shoes will rescue a bad outfit, where as a bad pair ruin an outfit and good shoes continue to look good with age and bad shoes will never look good. I know I am preaching to the choir here but cheap shoes are false economy. I wish these people thought about shoes first and built from there.

But of course there are far more important things in life....move on Pink Socks!

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey PS I'm a big fan of tan shoes -- what brand are your brogues and derbies?

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

It would be funny if there was a well dressed chap there who was not an SF member and people kept going up to him saying "Style Forum meetup?" or whatever...

7. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Derbies - Ralph Lauren

Brogues - Loakes 1880 (tend to be more weekend shoes)

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

My strategy would be to find a bunch of fops. That of just finding the only people at Jwow.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for some) I won't be able to make it tonight. Caught a bit of a cold and feeling quite crook. Have to try to recover by Sunday to do Run for the Kids, so I'll be heading straight home after work. Have fun fellas.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So I picked up a Rodd & Gunn cashmere blend jumper yesterday at Myer at 25% off. I probably got shafted even with the discount (it was $135) but I was seduced by the high armholes, great fit and soft, soft fabric. Actually it was mostly the armholes; has anyone else noticed how low/massive they are on most cheaper knitwear?

10. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Oh if you'll be there Pink Socks I think I'll recognise you from the herringbone evening, even though I was there briefly.

I'm also wearing double monks, aren't we original little butterflies.

11. scar3face

scar3face Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I find myself starting at the head and working my way down and 9/10 I'm disappointed that such a nice suit, or jacket and slacks is often ruined by some scuffed up, beaten shoes.

It's like buying an F1 racing car and then filling it with diesel and expecting to get performance.

12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Sorry, I am unable to make it. But like you say, doubt you will struggle to spot the SFers.

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Hi Guys - I'm sorry, I won't be able to come along tonight.

My sister leaves Melbourne early tomorrow morning, so, tonight we feast!

Hope you all have a lovely time!

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

'Look, as I said to the previous chap, and to the one before him, I'm waiting for a friend. A female friend. I'm flattered, of course, but please...'

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

"Oh, and by the way, where did you get those double monks?"...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.