Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Didn't realise how much blue I was wearing until I sat down at work. Was this a little overboard?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes well aware that my shoes need a polish.

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No I don't think so, the brown shoes break it up nicely I think. They are great btw, whos the maker?

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I love Icebreaker. Do they have anything you could wear to work though?

4. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Thanks. They are Milana for David Jones. Think they were 2010 stock and thus heavily reduced. Plus 20% staff discount and they were about $80. By far the most comfortable shoe I own.

5. themaninasuit

themaninasuit Member

Try Calibre, they always have some good knits, nice and fine, so good for layering and under suits

6. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I don't rate Calibre - overpriced and poorly made. And too much black. :)

7. themaninasuit

themaninasuit Member

I have had some great ones that have lasted for years. Also got some great bargains from witchery man last year only about 70 bucks each from memory, I did get them on sale. They did pill a little bit . For some better quality Jac and Jack have beautiful wool and cashmere options too but a bit higher on the price scale

8. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Yes I think so. I have three jumpers that come to mind immediately. All with half zips, in Indigo, Navy and Black. Interestingly, when I looked at their web site this evening, there is nothing like what I have. None of these jumpers are the tight fitting styles they running with now. All are a more casual fitting style. But, all beautifully made and given they have been washed on the woollens cycle with denim jeans and never woollen fabric softner, they look better and better every year. Maybe look out for them in the Op shops perhaps. Paddy Pallin usually carry the more conservative (ie less slim fit) styles. From memory theres an Icebreaker seconds store in Chapel Street.

9. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Calibre staffs are rubbish. Don't know what they try to be. Way too fashion forward to a point you could only wear some of them for one season. Like on January they had some shirts and trousers with tree colour tabs.Also they charge a high premium for made in China goods. Never purchased from them.
    Just buy some RL knits. I have at least 8/9 RL knits. From cashmere to merino wool to lambswool to prima cotton and everything in between. They are good quality . And good value during sale($130-$250).

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Picking up my P Johnson casual suit in navy Dugdale Bros Worsted tomorrow!!!

And sometime today this should be arriving; a little something from Cappelli's e-store:

[​IMG]

Will be sure to post pics. :D

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Well that IS weird

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

They look pretty good, mate!

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Picked up a shirt I had made for my wedding at P Johnson Tailors yesterday. It is awesome, the fabric, which is a very fine knitted white, is amazing and it is definitely the best shirt I own. Now, only 3 months until I can wear it...

Also picked up some Bresciani socks - one burgundy and one grey (never thought I would buy grey socks but they look great esp. with the tan derby I have on today). (Yes socks fxh!).

Great to catch up with Tom and Jen (and Frank the ever growing dog - http://linenforsummertweedforwinter.../tamsinjohnson-p-johnson-showroom-south#notes) and see some of the things they are getting made up. Too much temptation and new ideas. A grey suit is next, but need to wait a while there.

With those purchases, some Drakes ties CEP has put in the post for me, a trial wedding bowtie (fat butterfly model, black with tartan inlining and monogram inside) I have coming from Cordial Churchman, some new training gear and some C&J Chukka boots (finally found my size on new with box etc on Italian ebay) which are on their way, think I might need to join the no purchase club until I go to Scotland in July (keen to get a Barbour waxed International jacket there and maybe some other bargains).

In there spirit of Gerry Nelson (http://www.styleforum.net/t/88856/australian-members/10545#post_5248044) think I might (have to) be done with shoes for a while. I have -

• Black cap toe oxford
    • Dark brown wholecuts
    • Dark brown austerity brogues
    • Tan derby
    • Tan brogues
    • Tan chukka boot
    • Dark brown suede chukka boots (on the way)
    • Dark brown loafers
    • Light brown nubuck loafers
    • Black ghillie brogues (traditional shoes for kilt wear)
    • Brown boat shoes
    • Purple driving shoes
    • (plus some canvas navy Keds, Puma and (bright pink) Nike runners, some colourful Havianas flipflops, a pair of Asics training shoes and a pair of Vibram Fivefingers)

I know it is a short list (compared to some), but they are all good quality and cover me for a wide range of events and occasions. I know I want a pair of monks (double or cutaway single) at some point and probably a pair of dark brown suede loafers at some point, but I think these with have to wait.

But I have plenty of new stuff and exciting things arriving in the post soon to enjoy, so I am a (well dressed, hopefully) happy man.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

A very nice collection of shoes there and it looks like you've pretty much covered all bases.Dark brown suede loafers (strangely enough, I was also looking at a pair of these) would be a very nice addition at some point as well as a single cutaway or double monk. Based on what you have there, though, there's definitely no rush and I do like the sound of purple driving shoes!

How do the Bresciani socks feel compared to others you have?

Looks like the postman is going to be a very familiar sight for awhile :)

15. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

To be honest I am not happy with the quality on Kathy's knitwear I bought a 2ply Cashmere jumper two years ago and the elbows have just gone in them, not good enough to be honest and it was not like I was constantly propping my self up at the Wig & Pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.