Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Lewin did post a response in the thread after a load of people weighed in following my original comments. To their credit they pointed out that they'd listened to previous criticism (also me among others) about forcing people on to their Australian site and had allowed people back on the UK site. So their rationale was that you had the choice to pay their inflated Myer and Oz website prices and get supposed benefits in 'special deals for the Australian market' or continue to shop on the UK site. I gave them credit in a response for indeed listening previously and said being able to buy from the UK site was all that I really cared about, and their 'local' pricing simply made those avenues irrelevant to me.

So overall I think they handled the criticism much better than JCrew have so far. They certainly never deleted my comments and they did explicitly respond to the criticism on the thread and attempt a justification. And as I say it now appears that some things at least are as cheap as or cheaper than the UK from their Oz site.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

2. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

It's exactly what happened with Asos when they opened their australian storefront, so I think it's safe to say it's something that companies are going to attempt.

3. lennier

lennier Senior member

Did ASOS do that initially too? I've only ever been on their Oz site relatively recently and the prices appear to be direct currency rate conversions within a percent or so, and thus very good since they will charge in Oz dollars and you can thus avoid conversion charges.

4. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Went with a pair of dark Indigo, organic-denim Nudies in the end.

Interestingly, quite a high rise though the legs are quite tapered. Could not resist the sublime colour...

5. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Hmmm either my memory is foggy or they've brought things in line, interesting either way!

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

You've just answered your own question. Why bother paying over $200 for a pair a 'fashion' jeans that are thrown together by cheap labour in Bangladesh that have no tailoring whatsoever?

I'll save my money for clothes that are well constructed and tailored. Jeans for me are just things to throw on when I'm going to play in the park with the kids. I'm if 'dressing up' I'll wear a casual suit.

However, I do agree that your jeans should still have some aspect of style and flair to them. I walked into G-star the other day with a mate... and he was horrified at all the fuss about denim as he buys his jeans from Rodd & Gunn. I told him if he ever buys jeans from there again I'll kill him.

7. maplefuturist

maplefuturist Senior member

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

I have been visiting ASOS every now and then for the last couple of years now without really buying anything, but for as long as I can remember it's always been a direct conversion.

With regards to why some of us (me) would pay more for suits etc and not denim and casuals, there are two reason for me: occasion and construction.

Construction:
    We all know construction of a decent sports or suit jacket can be a labour intensive task that require more precision to get right. With such items, the fit and silhouette has to be right and really easy to get wrong and balance can be thrown right off. With most casual clothing the construction are a lot simpler and have more margin for error because of the way we wear them. They can be worn in a more relaxed way, let some stacking here or there, and stretch a bit here or there etc. Regardless of price most of the items in the same category are largely constructed the same simple way.

Occasion:
    I wear suits for work or more formal occasion where professionalism or being meticulous is required - where clothes need to be pressed and the most laborous task probably involves going across the room to fetch another glass of wine. Those occasions are a stark contrast to occasions when I wear casual clothes.

Occasions when I am in casual generally involves me being more active and the clothes taking much rougher treatments. Say going picnicking and playing some cricket there, kick a footy around, getting smoked by bbq, or sometimes go ice skating for fun. At night I might go clubbing and risk getting drinks spilt on. After all that I throw those dirty clothes in the washing machine. I will not spend hundreds on clothes that can easily be ruined by any of those listed activities. With casual clothes, as long as they fit well, last long enough and can take washings without going out of shape, they are fine. Perhaps when I get older and become less active that I will consider paying for more luxurious casuals.

PS. I'm with the SW&D guys on one point though, pressed denim is all sorts of wrong. A little bit of stacking is good.

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Nick's tunes and arrangements are pretty spartan, precise and clear so it was fine where I was sitting (in the floor section) for most of the night. However, when they occasionally let rip (e.g. I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll) it was an awful mess, so you are spot on in that regard.

Oddly enough Nick said he was pleasantly surprised to be playing in such a nice room. 'I thought we were headed for a sticky floored dive in St Kilda.'

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I don't think the shop lady even realised what she was saying. When I lived in Singapore, someone I know worked with a Danish company. The ladies there (who'd accompanied their husbands to Singapore) all complained that the clothes were always too small.

11. Gerry Nelson

Which model is this? Anyone here tried 3sixteen jeans?

12. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

Sometimes, always, never.

So much never in Sydney.

13. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

14. Gerry Nelson

15. oldscotch

oldscotch Member

Shocking those J.Crew prices. I got the chromexcel 405 Indy shipped for US$450.00 and these jokers want to charge AU$662.42.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.