Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Jobro - posted for the benefit of the context, not necessarily the purchasing recommendations. Am familiar with the limitations and pricing differentials associated with clothing here and abroad

2. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

FYI they increased their prices by 50% for the Australian storefront. Anyone keen to pay $700 for a pair of Alden bluchers?

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Nick Lowe at the Forum last night. What a classy dude.

I wore Calvin Klein jeans.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Member sighting at 9.10am on Collins St this morning? Corduroy, suede chukkas, interesting sportcoat...

5. lennier

lennier Senior member

That sucks. I accidentally started a bit of a s^&tstorm on the Lewin facebook page by pointing out that same behaviour when they launched at Myer, Oz website prices almost doubled overnight.

Will be interesting to see if things at J.Crew stay that way, as I purchased a Merino v neck off the Oz Lewin site yesterday for less than I could get it on the UK site, as prices of at least some things seem to be back at parity with the UK site and the free shipping then wins out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. Jimbosaurus

That would be me. I'm not sure on the sportscoat, what did you think of it other than 'interesting'?

7. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Windowpane, thanks for the link. The Euro Hem is only relevant when buying pre-distressed denim, which, most denim nerds would argue heavily against. Otherwise, replicating a stitch as closely as possible to the original is the better course of action on unwashed/raw/dry denim.

As an aside, I must admit that I find the attitude towards denim and casual dress particularly surprising. Many here are content to happily pay large sums for their business attire, citing such reasons as fit, quality of construction, the calibre of raw materials used and the craftsmanship inherent in those garments. Yet, on the question of denim, they baulk at paying more than $100. To an extent, I understand this mentality because historically denim was a uniform for workers and was designed to be a cheap garment that could withstand the perils of labour-intensive work. I agree that jeans should not cost what they do but options such as Giordano and Cotton On seem out of place in an environment where members fret over such peculiarities as barchetta pockets and functional cuffs.

Why would one care about details from Monday to Friday for their suits and dress shoes, but remain reluctant to spend money on casual wear, particularly jeans? Does paying for quality only matter for certain clothing? In part, the denim industry is to blame by inflating prices on what is utter garbage. Brands such as True Religion, Calvin Klein and Dolce & Gabbana charge ludicrous sums for what are average-made jeans using average-quality denim, and I can understand that this makes the quality-conscious consumer feel jaded. It is no different to brands such as Hugo Boss, who sell fully fused suits with low armholes and heavily padded shoulders that feel rigid and lifeless for $1195. In today's market there is a ton of genuinely shit denim available, and at grossly inflated prices, but spending a sum on quality denim seems perfectly reasonable in my mind, especially when justifying expenses on other things comes so naturally.

8. Jimbosaurus

I think even with the price hike J.Crew isn't a terrible option due to the state of the retail market in Australia . It pretty much puts them in line with Country Road for prices but the styles and quality are a touch better.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Ha! That's the first thing I went to look at. Those aren't shell cordovan and they cost more that Carminas or C&J handgrades - hmmmmm ...

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Yep, pretty crazy. The value proposition is unfortunately not very good. I for one won't be purchasing from J Crew unless and until their prices are more in line with their in store USA offerings. A pity.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

How was the sound? I've been put off as the last few things I saw at Forum the sound was unacceptably muddy.

12. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Agree with your sentiments but there are always Calvin Klein jeans on sale. Last pair I picked up was $125. I have a two-jean policy, Calvins or the like for knocking around and then something a step up for stepping out.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Didn't really get a good look -- I find that when identifying SF members it's best to focus on the shoes, so I was looking at them (Loake Kempton?) :)

Care to post a pic of the ensemble?

14. Jimbosaurus

Spot on with the shoes, this is the best I can do at the office :
    [​IMG]

15. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Thats what im trying to do with Jcrew

'I really appreciate you guys shipping to Aus, but 'Enjoy free shipping' is a bit of a farce.
    Take for example the ALDEN FOR J.CREW PLAIN-TOE BOOTS which are US$505 (which is about AUD$480)
    So, we change the currency from US to AUD and what do we pay? $AUD696.93
    Could you let us know the reasoning behind the inflated pricing?
    I dont mind paying $30 for shipping, but how has the $315 difference been justified?'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.