Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

For those interested, J Crew now ships to Australia.

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Ok, a mate of mine of getting married. He lives in Sydney and is considering made-to-measure (bespoke is beyond his price range).

Any suggestions?

He's coming down to Melbourne in a few weeks so I'll take him to Patrick Johnson and Azzaro to see if there is something off the rack that takes his interest.

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

My last pair of jeans were from Saba, on sale for $90. They are great but they may be a bit low-rise for you. Straight (not skinny) leg, with a small lycra mix for a bit of stretch.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

I rarely wear jeans now partly as an aesthetic statement and partly as a reaction against every one from grandads to hipsters to betweenagers wearing them EVERYWHERE.

I wear chinos and desert boots, suede boots and chukkas with Oxford striped must iron button downs in various colours, mainly blue variations with stripes, although some white and others yellow and today arrived a flat full Coloured lilac one. Chinos everything from standard khaki and beige to several pairs of pink faded reds plus a near lemon and two pair of white white jeans.

If I do wear jeans every blue moon I avoid the business shirt, shoes andblue blazer look. If I wear jeans it's with a brown moleskin jacket, or a brown cord jacket, or a loose cotton blouson jacket or my red wind jacket or a blue single breasted pea coat. With suede DBs of different colours, sued boots in snuff, and old chukkas in red maroon and also a black pair. Rarely shoes, sometimes my gunboat light brown full brogue thick soled Goodyear stitched gunboats.

Shirts are usually thick ocbd with stripes must iron but usually not ironed on weekends. Sometimes a casual tie with chinos. Never never a tie with jeans.

I was eyeing off the APCs as I'd heard they do medium raise. But they are in hipster shops and expensive. I'm looking at Wranglers skinny from Sheplers, they are about 30-% of the price here and come in white jeans too. A pair of white 5 pocket jeans are a joy. Nice high pockets and minimal decoration.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  5. fxh

fxh Senior member

The book is a bigger project I'm working on.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I've got two nice pair I got from Gazman. Just about right. Cheap ish at $90 ? Originally nice colour. Slim without being skinny. A bit of stretch which I don't like as it makes for baggy bits.

They suit me in shape. Around 10inches at knee a bit belwo 9 inches at cuff. Slim hip and thigh.

But they have become a bit blah in colour. I like to wash denim at least each week. For me the attraction of denim is that clean look that comes after washing. I don't like the unwashed greasy sweaty look.

7. jobro

jobro Senior member

+1

I haven't come across a brand that has a better fit on me than Edwin Jeans. I dropped what I thought was a large amount on my first pair then I realized that my last pair of jeans lasted me 4 years.

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Back when I was at uni - which was not actually all that long ago - I remember that Edwin was pretty uncool, so it's interesting to see that it's better appreciated now.

Another brand that was very uncool was French Connection, which was stocked in the "middle aged men" section of Myer. Actually, I wish that it had stayed that way, as I hate all those "FCUK" t-shirts with a passion.

Anyway, with regard to jeans, this advice might not be applicable to all that many people here but if you happen to travel to Singapore, HK, Taiwan or Japan, do yourself a favour and visit one of the ubiquitous Uniqlo stores
    Their jeans cost about $30 or $40. They also usually have a higher-end, made-in-Japan, selvedge denim line that will set you back the princely sum of $70 or $80 and they are a fantastic bargain.

Both the lower- and higher-end lines come in a variety of washes and fits, they look great, and they are durable. I've been wearing one pair for six years now and they're still going strong, but I picked up an extra pair when I was back in Japan in December to put away in the wardrobe for when my current pair wear out.

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

For those who might be interested J Crew now ship worldwide. Free until 30th April I think. Anyone any experience with them. Thinking maybe khakis...

Also, just out of curiosity how much for Edwin jeans in DJs. Dakota 501 on Chapel Street Melbourne seems quite good. Got a nice pair of Natural Selection selvedge jeans there.

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

That article is rather useless considering the 'cheap' jeans listed (Nautica $50) are likely better quality than any pair of jeans from jeans west for $100. Nautica jeans sell here for $150-250.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

I might check out when I'm next in Taiwan - but my experience is that anything over 32 waist is in the fat old mens section - if anywhere at all.

Ms fxh had to buy a cheap rain jacket last trip - couldn't get one to fit - shes around 5'9" not fat at all - then shop lady comes running in - "yes we have big size out back for very fat lady" - she could only just squeeze into it.

12. jimmyshoe

jimmyshoe Active Member

What is weird about the leather breathing argument?

13. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Try on the Naked Famous denim at Harrolds. I got my last pair there for under $100 and they're great.

14. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Pink Socks - Edwins from DJs over the Christmas break, on sale were $125, down from $200 from memory. Best jeans I own, fourth pair of Edwins I have. Others were bought in Japan at an outlet type shop up in the mountains, $20 each and they are fantastic jeans from their vintage range, which doesn't mean much just that they looser fit and frayed ends.

15. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Brownman - this might be of interest to you - http://www.ehow.com/video_4959573_marking-euro-hem.html

A euro hem is a convenient way to shorten jeans that are too long, since it uses the original hem of the jeans. This technique works best for jeans that have fairly straight leg openings, rather than flared jeans. You can hand-sew the euro hem or use a sewing machine. Many sewing machines have a toolbox on the front that you can remove so that the you can slip the leg of the jeans over the arm of the machine. This helps prevent you from accidentally sewing the leg of the jeans shut while sewing the hem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.