Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

2. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

3. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Edwin Jeans are some of the better ones on offer if you reliant on local retailing. Last time I was in DJs in Melbourne they had a good selection. Simple, well made, classic and they have a point of difference in that the quality of the denim, the fit etc. Put simply, you'd go a long way to finding better. In Sydney, am sure DJs would have them there. Brisbane....not a hope. Brisbane DJs be lucky to stock King Gees!! I remember there was a place up there in Darlinghurst (Oxford Street) that used to stock a lot of Edwin, but, they were charging $400 a pair.

http://www.edwin-europe.com/mens_denim.php

The Edwin A1 and Edwin ED39 are good with navy blazer - they simple, well made, good quality denim and get better with age.

4. Windowpane1967

501s are ok, no point of difference thought. Very common and very hard to dress up with a blazer. Try and source a darker denim (Black to Blue, Indigo?? they call this darker denim a few different things). That way you can dress them down with simple white tshirt but also, get into higher end establishments with white shirt and blazer. Just dont think 501s, whilst they very popular, are much chop really, all respect to Charlies Wardrobe

5. Windowpane1967

Could not have said it better. You need only one pair of jeans, make them a good quality pair with minimal styling, ie no cats whiskers around the crutch, no flairs, no rips n tears, just keep them simple and classic - oh and if you have to take them up, make sure your tailor knows how to do a European Cuff for you, especially if you select a good quality pair. Nothing looks more rediculous than jeans hems that look like your mother took them up.

6. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Will definitely check out APC, Nudie and Edwin.

As a point of clarification,I'd wear these in the day with a white or patterned blue shirt and a navy odd jacket if it's cold. That's why the mid- blue. Unless very dark and textured, I don't think there's enough contrast with a navy jacket otherwise.

At night, I'd likely be wearing gray pants, not jeans.

The cleaner, simpler and better the cut, the better for me. I'm also looking to get a few pairs of pants in lighter shades of cotton made up; these will be my go-tos for casual wear.

7. Windowpane1967

CEP - you might enjoy this - http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/buy-mens-jeans

For what its worth and Im far from the elegant sartorial gurus here - white shirt only. A Brooks Brothers type shirt, simple elegant. Its all you need with jeans and navy jacket. Avoid getting too tricky. Dont worry about navy contrasts, ie jeans and jacket, the fabric differentials will give you all the contrast you need. Make sure you have good shoes!!! Oh and, a decent belt, hahaha.

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I wouldn't go near there. They never wash their jeans. Even I take my suits to get dry cleaned every now and then :laugh:

Ceppy asked for high waisted jeans. You have to be at least 60 to want high waisted jeans so I recommended accordingly. :laugh:
    Honestly, Jeans West, Just Jeans and Giordano are more than adequate in terms of style and quality. They offer all sorts of cuts from girlyman skinny for hipsters to wide boot dad jeans. I used to wear Giordano jeans to uni and I wore them hard like 3 times a week per pair, sit anywhere and kick a footy in them and they're still very much alive. I have a couple of pairs of slim stretch khakis for 25 bucks a pop from Giordano right now for casual and they aren't all that bad.

And Costco actually stocks Levi's for cheap.

Just different priorities bro. I like to hang around the sweet spot areas: you know clothing with decent enough quality and cheap. They have to fit well though. Plus I just bought a car. I would pay good money for really good food though.

And yes I proudly declare myself to be the biggest tightarse in all of SF. :slayer:

:nodding:

That I do :laugh:.

9. eightace

eightace Senior member

More bargains?

Anyone bought from Robinson's, particularly their own brand?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair, but would like to hear from anyone who has bought from them. So far, my communications with them have been splendid.

Other experiences?

Cheers,

Eightace

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

11. Windowpane1967

What model / brand are you keen on?

12. aKula

aKula Senior member

13. eightace

eightace Senior member

The James K. Polk in chestnut, or possibly walnut.

14. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Windowpane, what do you mean by a European cuff in relation to hemming jeans?

Anyway, when hemming jeans the majority of places won't know what they're doing, but your level of satisfaction with the result is largely dependent on how much emphasis you place on little details. For brevity's sake, I'll restrict this to the brands you're considering purchasing. CEP, If you're buying Edwin or Nudie, then they'll have chainstitched hems from the factory. In order to replicate this, you'll have to contact either Andy at Right Hand Distribution on Ebenezer Place in Adelaide, or a guy named Mikhail out of Sydney from his own line, Mikhail Zenon.

Nudie and Edwin both differ in the chainstitching on their jeans. The chainstitch machine that Edwin use seems to produce a major difference in the tension of the chain stitch which would have been caused by them modifying an actual machine to have this effect. It (the stitch) differs in appearance to other Japanese repro brands, and Nudie, who usually use a Union Special 43200G Bull Dog hemmer or a 56000 series flatbed. The 56000 machine is more commonly found. Their chain stitch appears wider and quite loose in appearance. Apart from the initial aesthetic difference when purchasing jeans, the result of differing tensions over time will mean that the rope fading at the hems will be more pronounced with wear and washing.

Oh, and if you buy APC, then getting those hemmed without sacrificing details is quite straightforward. They use a regulation lockstitch, although it's fractionally wider, 1cm or so, so just make a point of this at your usual alterations place.

Also, Mikhail does a better job of chainstitching than RhD, in my opinion. I have him alter all my jeans because he cares even more about denim and its details than I do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.