Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

Do they come witha deer bone for polishing?

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Wot j man said. In general they don't work out all that cheap if you use the better materials and the end results I've seen vary from just ok, a bit better than rtw/OTR and very bad like a 24 hour suit from Nathan Road.

I have heard you do better if you had been in HK used a firm whilemyou lived there then ordered off them on their trips over here on there subsequent trips.

At the cheaper end of the market I think Pernac is still around and can do a reasonable MTM, with measurements in melb, sewing os, the alterations back here. They used to do a basic for around $5 or6 hundred. But there's also other options atbthatnprice point.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

When we did fxhs and Shooeys Big Melb Shoe Adventure we tramped all over looking at shoes and one we certainly did was Muirs. They have some nice stuff there and they are friendly. We did McClouds, AmericanTailiors, and to prove we weren't just tyre kickers shooey went back the next day and bout two pairs of G&G , just like that. We also checked out DJs, and Henrry Bucks and also Herringbone and also LOiusas, and others.

4. lennier

lennier Senior member

My problems with Pernac were two-fold: firstly any alteration to the house style is a hit or miss affair as the proprietor - while a nice guy who tries hard - has little or no tailoring training, and their house style is nothing to write home about; secondly their quoted manufacturing tolerance was plus or minus 1cm so a possible variation of up to 2cm between one suit and the next for critical dimensions, which to my mind defeated the purpose of MTM almost entirely.

5. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

I have a dead animal in my BYard, I think it's a possum but same thing right?

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Fkin lol :)

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

No news yet on if cordovan shoes and polishing equipment has been discovered.

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Grasshopper

Chinese Daoism is a cosmologically holistic system wherein everything is integrated in the cosmic dance. Tai Chi is part and parcel of holistic approach to life, so is one overall element in what to us gweilo is an alt medicine approach. And didn't our current Westernised medical approach have its origins in folk medicines?

Me I will use herbal and other alt approaches, I found that acupuncture is good for my hay fever and has over the years fixed other minor aliments, however I am not adverse to the use of penicillin and other western antibiotics if need but. However exercise a healthy diet and good pinot noir does go a long way to ensuring balance.

Overall I adopt the "Mens sana in corpore sano" approach and ensure that I have a wardrobe to match. And speaking of which can someone recommend a brand of cotton wool wash and wear casual trousers.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Sadly you will just have to eat it. Consider it part of new Paleo diet that appears to be all the rage but if it is Paleo diet what is chicken doing in it?

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Interesting...

What style / system, mate?

11. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

:D

I know kid leather is used for gloves, but is deer leather used for shoes at all?

12. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Russian Reindeer Calf?

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Can we hear more about this BMSA? I hope he didin't beat some poor unsuspecting JOKER or SNIVELLING GIRLY MAN to a pulp who suggesting he might like a nice pair of dove grey, bicycle toed, grosbies.

14. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

SURGEONS CUFFS

Anyone familiar in either Brisbane or Melbourne with alterations shop who may have a button hole machine. Have jacket that is currently tailored without button hole in a surgeons cut. Ie no holes and no buttons!!

15. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Are you missing the buttons? I think some of the better RTW makers do this to make it easier to adjust the sleeve length - normally the buttons are provided separately so It might be worth checking the internal pockets (apologies if you already know this).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.