Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Picked my shirt up today. Am extremely happy with it. Fabric is good (I chose the "Superior" which is just single ply 80-100 cotton). I chose Twill White and whilst it's a little opaque, you cannot see my skin. The only thing that is noticeable is the yolk seam. There is only 1 minor downside and that was due to my measurement error (shoulders and chest need to be 1cm bigger but I measured incorrectly). I hope it doesn't shrink much more in the first wash.

Ordered on 20/2 and it was sitting at the post office on 7/3. Didn't pay for shipping. All up it was $63AUD with a monogram.

Just placed an order for another 5 shirts.

FYI - I measured an existing shirt.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ah yes watch all the woo and scam masters come out now that the National Health and Medical Research Council might make a statement that homeopathy (and most so called "alt' medicine) is without scientific proof of even the most basic kind and does not have any prior plausibility.

All the radio shock jocks, abc and Faine included, will fall for the "balanced" approach whereby the most ludicrous arguments are given equal billing in the name of being fair.

If homeopathy was to be accepted it would mean overturning all the basic laws of physics, chemistry and science.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Homeopathy can be a scary thing - I know people who like to pick up the latest natural 'cure all' that they read about somewhere on the internet and preach it as gospel.

Call me a homeophobe.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd be willing to bet that an old broom handle dipped in lard (.."thumbnail dipped in tar"..) would do the same job. Only cheaper and without the iGentt mythology.

I'll bet thats what you tell all the girls.

5. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Sounds like the so called 'debate' about global warming.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The scary thing is that there are communities in Australia which have outbreaks of whooping cough and other preventable diseases because it only takes a few irresponsible parents to lose the herd immunity.

7. meister

meister Senior member

I don't think so fxh.

The other question is what you would do if you wore shell cordovan shoes at Channel 9. Would you do say as a conversation opener at the water cooler "Geez I just gave my shell cordovan Aldens a good boning"....?

A lot in that fxh. Especially when the Chinese herbal medicine experts sell you all these (expensive) tablets.

My German nieces were not immunised thanks to their mother and post 1989 when they all came over from the "Eastern Bloc" and the Soviet health care standards they both got whooping cough. My aunt who got it in the 1930s ended up with a heart murmur

Don't tell fxh....

8. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I do Kung Fu with a proper Chinese Master who emigrated from China about 15 years ago. He grew up in rural China, learned martial arts from the age of six and graduated from the Beijing Institute of Physical Education. He graduated a year ahead of Jet Li. He then went to instruct at the Shaolin Temple and later on was in charge of Physical Education and Fujian University.

In addition to Kung Fu, he also teaches Tai Chi and Chi Kung. So we do lots of meditation, we talk about chi, and energy blah blah and so on.

But he still gives his kids flu shots. He was mortified when his new partner refused to immunize his new son, because his sister died of meningitis when he was growing up in China.

My wife sees a Chinese Tai Chi practitioner often (as have I recently) and the ancient Chinese empirical art of Doaism provides some interesting insights into the mind/body vehicle that we call our bodies. But bugger me if we are going to reject three hundred years of Western scientific medical inquiry.

9. lennier

lennier Senior member

Great to see that rational critical thinking seems to go hand in hand with sartorial elegance, at least in this thread! Well beyond time that the scam 'alternative' medicine industry - particularly homeopathy - got the appropriate attention from health authorities.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ok meister. I propose a, limited but useful, experiment.

Pick a pair of your horses arse shoes that have creases and (mysterious) white powder. Photo them . Post shots here.
    Then send me one and salveggio one each.

I'll rub mine with a broomstick dipped in lard. He will bone his with the magic deer bone.

We will do before and after photos and see if there is any difference that is significant.

If I have the better shine then you will agree to boil both shoes up with a deer bone and eat them. Yum.

11. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

after reading your comment - i decided to order 1 plain blue oxford shirt.
    i measured my herringbone shirt so fingers crossed it is close to fit.

let you know how i go.

12. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Hey guys,

Sorry to break up the debate, im selling these LOAKE 1880 "FENCHURCH" LOAFERS they're Sz 9.5 UK

Looking just to get rid of them so 150 + Shipping ono worn maybe 5 times

Measurements taken from outer-sole: 11cmW, 30.8 cmL

They are in great shape with only minor wear with a few nicks and scratches but all in all they have been worn very little

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

Has anyone heard of MTM Kiton? Does anyone know if this exists? Im going to have a quick look online just thought i'd ask you knowledgable gentlemen :)

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

In general, I'd avoid them. Admittedly, there are a few reputable operations from HK that visit the US and (very occasionally) Australia such as WW Chan but the vast, vast majority of such travelling tailor operations are dodgy and their products are cheap and poorly made.

I have some friends who have ordered suits from such tailors, and the suits are very unimpressive. Whilst the trousers aren't too bad, the suit jackets are woeful - poorly-fitted, with overly-padded shoulders and very "flat" lapels. They really do look nasty and cheap.

So, whilst the above tailor might not be like that, I'd say that the odds are against it.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

I don't see any of these, Tai Chi or Kung Fu as "alt medicine". It's pretty straightforward gentle excercise in the case of Tai Chi and marial arts/excercise/discipline In Kung Fu.

I don't even mind theories about chi, energy blah blah as a way of understanding some things. But it enters the woo and nonsense when they then go on to claim cures for cancer, and various ailments.

Sensible excercise as in Tai Chi and Kung Fu isn't in the least bit alternative or non mainstream. It conforms well, as excercise, to modern knowledge. Hell they even run Tai Chi for Arthritis sufferers. Its good gentle excercise. I resent it when "alt" woo masters claim a good diet, sensible excercise and moderate habits as somehow non mainstream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.