Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Back to drY cleaning - what are the opinions of getting an entire suit cleaned v just the jacket? I know that dry cleaners would say do it all together (for colours etc), but is it really necessary? I mean in the end if all you want is a spot removed, why get and entire suit cleaned?

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

its fine. if you want you can ask them to spot treat stains and not press

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

checky, the idea is you get your suit cleaned once a year before storing it away for winter, in the case of summer clothes, or storing away in summer for winter tweeds.

The theory is that moffs only feed on organic food stuffs that sneak into the cloth they don't feed on the wool itself. Get rid of food and no moffs.

The idea to clean top and bottom together is so that any changes in colour are uniform.

You can get just the top done . Or you can even get just the spot done.

If you know its only a spot you can buy spot remover yourself.

Often just gently picking away at it with a brush or toothpick can get rid of stain. or rubbing with a clean damp rag. Or you can buy spot fluid.

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

So as I understand it. You have a pair of Tweed at 7G fitting. They are on the 026 last - a nice last for me. How do they fit - is there much movement forward back? does it feel tight or loose on sides? any heel slippage inside on your heel? Is it a bit short for your tootsies? or too long? How well does it grip your heel?

All this helps to decide if going up half a size and narrower half a size will work.

By going up you'll get perhaps the same volume on a sole nearly as wide as your 7 and with a bit more length.

Depending on the brand a half size might be 1/6 of an inch. That is a 7G could be 1/6" wider than an F or conversely an F 1/6 smaller than a G.

However a 7.5 F could be, if they are following convention, 1/6 bigger in width and length than a 7F and maybe a 7.5F could be a 1/6th of an inch longer than a 7G but about the same width as a 7G.

I'm guessing that going from 7G up to 7.5F would give you a slightly bigger shoe all round, longer wider and bigger toe box etc but about the same width as your 7G.

But maybe not.

In addition each last has slightly different size / shape around vamp, sole, toebox, height etc etc. which can make it wider or narrower or longer in parts than another shoe/last.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

1/2 size is about 1/6'th of an inch. Should have no problem. And again if you are 7 G then a 7 F would only be a bit tight for first 8-10 wears (depending on how you wear them). I am a us 8 EEE. Some of my shoes are 8 E and they were really uncomfortable for first 10-20 wears. Now if 8EEE not available I go 1/2 size up. Recently I had to choose between 8 D or 9 D. I picked 9D and not much difference and was happy .

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Facing the same dilemma with C&J boots. The Chukka, which is the model I like the most, is on a unknown, to me at least, last (200) and is a D width. In my other C&J's I have a 9.5 UK in a E width. But these are a loafers and a different last, they fit well but a loafer needs to be tightish in length as it has no laces etc to hold it.

I have a size 10 UK in some other shoes but my concern is that if I go up a size it might just be too long and still not wide enough. Have emailed a few places and the response seems to be to size up but noone seems too sure or to have the 10 in stock. Think I might email some SFers who have mentioned they have/had (based on a Google search) the Chukka and see if the information or comparsion notes.

Have contacted C&J directly and ordering with them may be an option as other places seem to have ridiculous waiting times. C&J may do too. Anyone ordered with them? Also any experience of different C&J lasts always appreciated.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

As far as shoe sizing and buying online goes, my opinion is -- shoe sizing being something of a dark art -- that you make an educated guess and you push the button. If you get it wrong first time you'll have to eat shipping costs to return them, but at least you should be able to nail your size in that last second time around.

8. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Correct.

They fit very well, no movement whatsoever, the feel is neither tight nor loose on the sides and no slippage on the inside of my heel. The length and width are right from what I feel when wearing them and the grip is sufficient.

If it is the case where the F width results in an overall reduction of space around the shoe, then I would have to compensate for it by sizing up half a size, i.e. 7.5F.

Logic would say that if I were to order the same size in a smaller width then it would fit way too tight.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

Yes basically. But remember that a 7.5F is going to be longer as well as wider than a 7F.

It might work out - it might not. it partly depends on if you think that a shoe a bit longer will be acceptable. You could also wear thicker or thinner socks - can make a surprising difference.

Also you can stretch shoes in width around ball of foot but you can't stretch length. Or width of heel to any great extent.

The most sensible thing to do is to find a shoe similar, perhaps not exactly the same, to what your little heart desires, in the right size on the 026 last which is a 7G.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm assuming you are after a Black Calf closed laced plain toecap??

The Herring Knightsbridge is a black toe cap closed laced made by Loake on the 026 last and in a G fitting too. Possibly the exact same shoe on a slightly different last to your Aldwych, but luckily on the exact same last and size and width that fits you perfectly. Even better than your first choice as you know it will fit the same as your Tweed.

How about that - its a funny old world isn't it when you look around.

Just send the fee to my paypal account. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents, a quick question. I just dropped off my Shell cordovan pairs to Coombs shoe repair at Strands to get half topy. Sydney SF members will know how experienced these guys are. Had a chance to chat with the owner. I was asking him about wax polish. He asked me not to use any wax or polish rather just use conditioner ! Also he was not trying to sell me his conditioner. Where as everyone recommends against conditioner on cordovans. Any thoughts ?

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I find using a good conditioner just by itself is fine as cordovan is naturally pretty glossy.

I got some of the fancy saphir stuff and (I almost can't believe I am admitting to this) a deer bone for polishing out scuffs. But you know what? The bone actually works and the saphir polish is so much better than the other conditioners I have used (something to do with mink oil).

I would only use a wax over the top if i was going for a spit polish effect - which I do sometimes on my black cordovans. As to whether wax or polish is actually undesirable for cordovan i don't know.

So, in other words, I am using weasel fat and deer bones to maintain my shoes made out of a horse's bum. Not recommended for vegans!

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

This is sound advice. Theoretically, wax is not desirable for shell cordovan because the non-porous nature of shell leads to a build up of excess wax polish on the surface, that can dry out and cause cracking of the leather.

The Saphir Renovateur and deer bone combination is a great way to look after shell cordovan, IMHO.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Where do you get deer bone in Melbourne for maintaining shell?

15. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Deer Park?

Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.