Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Cheers. It's pretty straightforward, sleeves are about 2 cms too long and it's annoying the frick out of me!

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Took a bunch off stuff to them once to try them out. Handed over my things and when the girl behind the counter hurled my suit into a bag and then dumped the bag on the floor, I decided then and there I wouldn't be going back.

3. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Has anyone inquired at Henry Bucks about their cleaning service? I've always just assumed it was prohibitively expensive.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Just pulled the trigger on a Benjamin Sartorial mid-grey suit. I'm hoping it's as good as people say it is. Let's see what happens in a couple of weeks time. At some point in the future I'm going to replace my MCM Studio navy SB suit but for now, I think I'm covered.

5. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Was funny to read this comment, I too had the same experience. My suits are all on quality hangers, in dust covers, blah blah, when I took a couple of them to the local Dry Cleaner here in Brisbane, Kaths on Kingsford Smith Drive I witnessed the same before my very eyes, was horrified. Neve went back. Have used eLaundry at Clayfield since, they are excellent. They actually listen to how I want my jackets done and follow through. I ask them to retain the suit hangers and they come back on same hangers. All good.

6. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good casual coat for under $300? Shopping in the sydney CBD on Thursday (PAY DAY FINALLY) and want to pick something up. I'm going to be dead broke for a while and would like to have something on the cheaper side to get me through until I can get something good made.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Do you mean a sports coat/blazer - ie not an overcoat? If that's what you are looking for you could try the Herringbone clearance shop which is just on the edge of the CBD. It's a bit hit and miss but that kind of budget should be okay. You could always give them a call and see what they have in the shop in your size and style.

8. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Very interested to see your thoughts as I've been eyeing the 38L for a while now.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

If you're in Melbourne, I'm happy to meet up after it arrives and you can see it up close for yourself.

10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Re : Dry cleaning. I'm pretty sure Henry Bucks sent it to Bancrofts. I asked Sebastian at American Tailors once. He recommended Bancrofts, as well as a place in Richmond on Bridge Rd. I'm not sure that place exists anymore (or maybe it moved), I might ask him again.

I've sent my best suits to Bancrofts and IMO they do a good job. The lapels always come back with a nice roll, and the suit always feels very light...not heavy and stiff like my local dry cleaners.

11. sochumpy

sportscoat and i will give it a shot. thank you

12. sochumpy

http://www.lbbyj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=427
    linked on the very same tumblr you linked pink socks modernartillery.
    Im considering buying one.

13. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

If my Loake shoe sizing is 7 with Wide (G) fit shoes, what would I have to do when it comes to the Narrow width? Would I size down or up?

I sent an email to Herringshoes but they were useless.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Its not clear what you are asking. It might not have been clear to Herring either.

If 7UK G in a Loake is really your size then thats your size.

Do you have a pair in Loake UK 7G? Do they fit well, not so well, a bit tight, short or a bit wide?

It will vary a bit between lasts - even within the one brand like Loake - the 024 last fits slightly different to the 026 last

When you say Narrow width - do you mean a Loake narrow = E or a Medium/Normal = F?

UK sizes like F are wider than equivalent USA sizes.

Wide fitting is really a bit more than just wider. Its sort of like a circumference of a squashed balloon - flat on the sole side. There is a bit more room to fill all round.

If you go up half a size then a F might fit but also be too long.

What exactly is it you are trying to do?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  15. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Sorry,

The medium/normal F width. I'm after a pair of Aldwychs. I already own a pair of Loake Tweed, which are a 7G fitting, and fit quite well.

The reply told me that I could size up to a 7.5 but then it could slip off at the back when I walk. So in that case, should I be sizing down if there's an overall increase in the circumference of the shoe?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.