Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Don't you guys find the toe on the suede Tetbury (very pointy, therefore very formal) to be at odds with the rest of the shoe (suede chukka, therefore informal)? ...Or perhaps you don't agree with the pointy = formal premise?

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'm in tyre kicking mode right now. 6 month shopping ban :laugh:. So far haven't bought anything. WIN!

5. lennier

lennier Senior member

Notice any tweed PG? Might have to pop down there..

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

A couple of light coloured Versace suits in 52. I thought you were a smaller size blahman (48?).

Luciano wasn't there today but I got to meet Nic(k) who is an old colleague of Luciano's and was very helpful getting my friend a good suit (who is about 5 8" with a 40 inch chest).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

blahsta - why don't you wander around the opshops?
    Cheap and you might score something.

No not dope or sex but clothes and shoes.

What sizes are you? I can keep a look out.

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

aah the sockless is the least worst bit of that - I suppose hes subverting the dominant paradigm or something and probably uses words like "cutting edge".

edit:: is that you or PG or blahman going up the steps behind him?

9. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Or do what I did and score of eBay. 2nd-hand suits don't count according to the missus :)

10. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

It's 'classic with a twist'

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

Funny you say that. I walk past that place quite often. :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of op shopping. I pop into op shops every now and then to see whether there are nice links or clips for sale, I'm not a big fan of second hand clothing.

12. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd call it a more sleeker look. In general sleeker looks more sophisticated and rounder a bit less so. But not always. I like a rounder toe these days but sometimes a round toe on certain models can look a bit blobby on top. A rounder toe needs to be, imnsho, a bit flatter over the top to avoid being too blobby vertically. Equally a chisel or point toe needs to be a bit higher vertically to avoid looking too flat and dangerous.

It seems to me that suede throws a different silhouette due to the way it reflects/capture the light as compared to, for example, a black leather captoe. This can make suede look a bit blobbier on the toe. The old school Clarkes DB solved this by making the front pretty bloody flat on the toe box.

A lot this is a bit academic when most of the shoes look ok and no one except me and you and a few other idiots on the web will notice.

otoh. It does depend a bit on your feet and width of normal cuffs you wear. If you have long ish feet for your body / legs then a sleeker shoe will make them look even longer and the toes may well end a fair way before the end of the shoe toe. So in effect you have a bit hanging over. At its worst - turned up pixie shoes.

Then just to make it difficult if you have small feet for your weight height and body type then a longer shoe might be desirable as a rounder toe will emphasise the small feet.

If you have a 6.5" cuff opening ( I just checked a "young persons" today ) plus a large foot and a sleek chisel shoe then it will look odd - to my eyes anyway.

If you have a 9" - 9.5" cuff then the shoe will look smaller and a roundish toe might almost disappear - again to my eye it doesn't give a good balance.

Then you might be like the twat in the tweet above and not give a flying f about balance, colour, fit and texture - you just want to be noticed.

Shoes have their own problems because mostly you see them looking down directly and this is a distortion - in addition no one else ever ever sees them from this straight down angle. Everyone else sees them from a metre away at least and from front side or back, and even if standing beside you still is looking at an angle.

All the above shoes look fine and it mainly matters how you'll feel in them, no one else will care.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

I just stick ghost money in the pockets.

A reasonable % of the stuff in opshops these days is new old stock.

14. RayRay

RayRay Well-Known Member

On sale for $995? LOL... You're right. You can easily get EG shipped to your door for that price

15. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Henry Bucks Factory / Outlet

32 Cromwell Street
    Collingwood VIC
    (03) 8330 1890

Check the hours though - from memory over Christmas they had some unusual opening hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.