• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennier

Reaction score

Maybe try the Hackett concession inside David Jones. I thought they had a tweed collection, so they might carry something like that.

Thanks Selvaggio, I'll check them out but judging by the Hackett prices in the UK from their website I suspect DJ would have them in PJohnson territory!
I've discovered the J Crew Ludlow cut jackets since my original post, which appear to be decently slim cut with soft shoulders without being too fashion tragic (slightly short, but possibly not fatally so). Anyone have experience with the quality of J Crew stuff? Seems like as usual they're overpriced at full retail but on discount aren't too bad? Of course getting one to Australia cost effectively might be a challenge since they don't yet have us on their list of international shipping destinations..

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a mid grey flannel myself and this would be perfect if not for the slanted pockets on the jacket, seems to be an english thing. I've had a few MTM suits with those pockets over the years and I end up hating them after a few months. Could wear the trousers seperate easy not sure about the jacket though. There are some nice fabrics in there though for fairly cheap.

Hey Jason, there's always this: http://www.adult-size-school-unifor...itional_100__Wool_Flannel__Boys___Girls_.html
smile.gif

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, I was at Voi Pop up store on Pitt st yesterday. They have few leather jackets with huge mark downs. The brands they have are unknown(to me). They claims to be 2k RRP and marked down to $300-$500. They are all made in Italy. I am no leather expert but it feels the quality is not that good. Have any of you visited this store ? And any thoughts on leather quality from not well known Italian brands ?
Thanks, and have a great weekend !

Last edited:

sochumpy

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on jackets/sports coats by mj bale? Anyone know their construction quality?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning Australian SFers.

As mentioned a little previously I am thinking about a suede boot for winter and am tossing up between the three C&J's below. All quite similar in design and price so not sure which is best. Mostly need for casual weekend type stuff. Know the Loake Pimilco and the Alfred Sargent Havant are other options but think I like the C&J's a little more. Also open to other ideas.

I think Dark Brown suede is more versatile than Snuff but am happy to hear other opinions of this too.

Chiltern - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Chiltern-Darkbrown

Tetbury - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Tetbury-Darkbrown-Suede

or Chukka - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Chukka-Darkbrown-D?

Differences (as I see them)
Chiltern - More rounded toe, Dainite soul, lined.
Tetbury - More elegant toe, Danitie soul, lined.
Chukka - Somewhere between elegant and rounded shape, leather soul, unlined

Pros, cons, expert opinions/advice?

Appreciate any feedback...

Last edited:

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just ran into PG at our local coffee shoppe where we exchanged a bit of banter and I showed him a funny advertisement in GQ that mentioned Beau Brummell (more on the ad and why it was funny later). He asked, 'Who is this Beau Brummell chap?' ... when I looked at him in astonishment he remarked 'I wager good sir that most of the gents in the Australian Brethren thread won't know who he is'.

So do you know who Beau was? No lying now because remember, Santa knows if you've been good or bad.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Selvaggio, I'll check them out but judging by the Hackett prices in the UK from their website I suspect DJ would have them in PJohnson territory!
I've discovered the J Crew Ludlow cut jackets since my original post, which appear to be decently slim cut with soft shoulders without being too fashion tragic (slightly short, but possibly not fatally so). Anyone have experience with the quality of J Crew stuff? Seems like as usual they're overpriced at full retail but on discount aren't too bad? Of course getting one to Australia cost effectively might be a challenge since they don't yet have us on their list of international shipping destinations..

There was something in the paper today to the effect that J Crew is one of the international retail chains that is thinking about setting up shop in Australia (another is Banana Republic).

That would be pretty awesome. We have the higher end accounted for ok (Herringbone et al), but a menswear chain with quality basics at reasonable prices would be great.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ran into PG at our local coffee shoppe where we exchanged a bit of banter and I showed him a funny advertisement in GQ that mentioned Beau Brummell (more on the ad and why it was funny later). He asked, 'Who is this Beau Brummell chap?' ... when I looked at him in astonishment he remarked 'I wager good sir that most of the gents in the Australian Brethren thread won't know who he is'.

So do you know who Beau was? No lying now because remember, Santa knows if you've been good or bad.

Know of Beau and have read a fair bit on him. He is mentioned in most sartorial books. Could be that I am British though. No crime in not knowing.

I think is famous quote "If John Bull turns around to look at you, you are not well dressed; but either too stiff, too tight, or too fashionable." does not quite apply here, my head turns when I see (rare, unfortunately) good quality suit/shoe/pocket square.

Mirador

Reaction score
The expression "he's a real Beau Brummell" has been around for years hasn't it, I remember this from when I was a kid

Quote:
I was able to score a pair of black EG captoes for about $AUS650 shipped to my house...
Have been stalking a pair of Edward Green's stocked by Henry Bucks. They were around $2,000 in the store, then got reduced to $995 during the Sale - made the trip to HB's factory where they now reside, and gues what, still $995 !! about the same as what you can readily get off the internet and the exact shoe you want !!

I give up . . . . . . . . ..

fox81

Reaction score

Have been stalking a pair of Edward Green's stocked by Henry Bucks.  They were around $2,000 in the store, then got reduced to $995 during the Sale - made the trip to HB's factory where they now reside, and gues what, still $995 !! about the same as what you can readily get off the internet and the exact shoe you want !! 

where is this HB factory?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Beau is some toff whose statue is on Jermyn Street.
More pressing question is: Who is James Boag? Is he a friend or a foe?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lennier

Reaction score

There was something in the paper today to the effect that J Crew is one of the international retail chains that is thinking about setting up shop in Australia (another is Banana Republic).
That would be pretty awesome. We have the higher end accounted for ok (Herringbone et al), but a menswear chain with quality basics at reasonable prices would be great.

Yeah when you hit the J Crew site it looks like they sign you up for emails about upcoming international delivery locations, so they clearly are looking further afield both online and with stores. Perhaps something will happen soon enough for them to be a more practical option. In the meantime I'm thinking of giving my cheapo Indian MTM mob another go and let them loose on a tweed jacket. For about $100 or so not a huge risk!

Last edited:

lennier

Reaction score

details? ;)

Studio Suits. Wasn't hugely impressed with the linen jacket I got from them, but that was completely unstructured at my request (and possibly not normally so) and so probably not a good example. They seem to get a decent wrap from people on places like AAAC so figured they' might be worth another go. I also now have good fitting jackets to use as a basis for the measurements, which I didn't have back when I did the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads