Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

If it rocks your world, do it!

What are nice clothes if not to be enjoyed? :slayer:

2. Illume

Illume Member

Hey mate, can i ask where you get your Tetburys from?

I've used both pediwear and herring for Loakes before but i've been eyeing off those Tets for a long while.

Also the 348 last looks sleek and possibly similar to the mayfair last of my loake dorchesters which if true would be great as i have narrow feet anyway and prefer the look of the sleeker looking work shoes.

Cheers

3. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Received my EP Super 120 Navy Pants the other day, bloody awesome trousers.

super happy with these, good fit too.

4. Dress 2 Impress

Dress 2 Impress New Member

My suit was a half canvas suit and not fused (trust me, i know my suits) ... it's by far my best suit and I have paid >$2000 for suits before. when I emailed them they said their fabrics are sourced from all of the world with most of them being made form Australian marino wool.

5. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

First pair I picked up in London in 08 or 09. Second pair I sniped off ebay Aus for about AUD$140

'Inside every true bespoke/tailored suit jacket, between the exterior cloth and the lining, lies the secret of its shape: a layer of cloth called the canvas. A hand-sewn canvas is standard in all of InStitchu’s suit jackets. It is this feature of InStitchu’s suits that echoes the curves of the chest, gives its lapels its roll and essentially determines the very integrity of the jacket.'

- https://www.institchu.com/style-guide/post/the-canvassed-suit/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Survey - from a mob called Deal Jungle .com? - like Catch of the Day. Then a few "dial a comments" from female image consultants.

I wouldn't worry - ties are a niche market and your ties are a niche market within a niche market.

I wouldn't let a non article on that website influence me in anything.

Although Ondinas stuff looks ok - and shes in Canberra.

http://ondinacommunications.com.au/about/

My free guerrilla marketing advice = have a cup of coffee with her and give her a free tie or two.

8. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

The exact opposite is happening. Ties got dropped quick smart in the mid 1990's when the tech bubble was expanding and the IT guys started getting equity in companies; casual Friday ensued as it was the guys sans tie that were making all the money. The tech-wreck quickly sobered everyone and ties have been progressively re-asserting themselves as important in he workplace, it says "I am client facing !" i.e. I work in a revenue-centre, not a cost-centre

The emergence of the pocket-square speaks volumes about the longevity of the tie, it has pushed dandification past the tie, leaving neck-wear as a conservative (safe) option for corporates.

9. saywhat

saywhat Member

How much was the tie and where'd you get it? Looks great.

10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

So if you bought a 2nd-hand Canali suit off eBay..which turned out to be a 52 jacket (separate) and a 50 trouser (separate) let out at the waist..would you give negative feedback?

The suit fits well, although the trousers are a bit snug. I know they are separates because the last two digits in the jacket model number are 00. Likewise the model number in the trouser is 0000/XX.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Oh don't worry it was tongue in cheek, I'm not worrying about the article at all. Yeah Ondina has been around for a long time and is very respected in Canberra for style advice, more for the ladies but even still.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Thanks. Tie is a Drakes shantung silk model - wine with ecru spots. Not sure there's any left; maybe check with Mark and the guys at The Armoury.

13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Fresh from the post office, some ties and a pocket square from Gerald and Diana at Vanda in Singapore (apologies for the poor quality of the phone photo):

[​IMG]

This is my third delivery from gshen/Vanda and I'm very impressed by their ties and by their service.

I should have some photos of some recent acquisitions from Deer Style in Brisbane to post soon, too, as soon as I get around to transferring them from my camera to my computer.

14. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Journeyman - thanks for sharing. Sent email to Vanda, the Glenplaid and the Overcheck very nice. Will also check out Deer Style tomorrow if I have time. Will look out for your follow up post.

15. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I reckon that falls in benefit of the doubt territory - but probably worth pointing out to the seller in a private message.

Were the dimensions accurately described? Knowing what you know now, would you still buy it at the same price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.