Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Personally I think it is, yes, but then I'm a fan of coats and prefer to layer up to keep warm in winter rather than worrying about the suit being much warmer. If you prefer not to wear heavy coats or your legs tend to get cold then flannel may well be a good option for you.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

I wore my tweed today because it felt so cool this morning. Felt quite the idiot come mid afternoon.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Active Member

Not that I can answer for the original poster, but I met GY too and spotted their lesser 2 piece quoted for just less than US 2k. It was from there 12/13oz book. I saw A great blue pow fabric and was very close to moving on it.

After the meeting I then did the maths, if I go via the cmt route it would save me a few hundred bucks...I think. Even went as far as got a quote for independent cloth purchase and cmt quote from GY.

However, like the original poster I will be going with PJ later this week. Nothing wrong with GY and he was a knowledgeable guy...just feels to me that PJ MIT be better suited for me.

4. scar3face

scar3face Well-Known Member

Rocket barbers are probably your best option. I know lots of the guys from the NAB go there as it's close and 'no frills'.

I believe it is located in the Macpherson Arcade (underneath the gym, near the food court)

5. "6"

"6" Senior member

This largely depends on your own preferences. For example if you are the kind of guy who power dresses, I would go with a navy chalk stripe with peak lapels, maybe in a double breasted configuration. If you want a workaday, no-nonsense type of suit - a mid grey with black horn buttons. If you want to channel the Italian guys, go for something in a lighter blue with brown horn buttons.

That being said, I love a more subdued windowpane suit - something like navy with a dark brown/dark green windowpane pattern. I like to stand out from the crowd, but do not like announcing it to everyone in the room (i.e. loud contrasting coloured buttonholes, gaudy coloured lining, etc.). That's just my preference, and I merely suggest it as an option to consider.

Have fun with the whole process of getting a suit (not hot pink linen fun), take your time and look through the fabrics. Keep in mind that you want a staple, but at the end of the day make sure its something you WANT to get, not merely something you 'should' get.

6. Simon at Elite

Simon at Elite Affiliate Vendor

I believe Institchu have their suits made in a suit factory on Qingdao China. They make a reasonably good suit I am led to believe the fabric is of a Japanese origin and while there are a few polyblends the vast majority are 100% wool. They are a fused canvas and if you can pick one up for $299 I'd say it would be a good suit for the money.

However, I don't think I'd pay much more than $299 for a fused canvas suit when there are so many other online alternatives. The suit insurance is something I would avoid. You still have to pay for the alterations yourself after which they give you a store credit. So, to get any benefit at all you need to then buy another suit

7. fox81

fox81 Senior member

no its not. flannel is fine for anything under 25 degrees i reckon

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Shit shop assistants say: "That would even look great with just a t-shirt and jeans." Why is this always assumed to be a huge selling point?

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I suspect it's because it's the uniform for a lot of males in Australia.

10. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

That'd be it.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Guys, you're way off base. It's definitely some sort of sinister conspiracy.

12. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

T-shirt and jeans manufacturers have to make a living too.

13. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

IMO no. When its 12 degrees with a howling south westerly, flannel suits are the bomb.

14. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

That's Docklands weather your describing there.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks guys! I already have a pair of flannel trousers but want to get a grey flannel suit that I can use as separates if necessary. That way, I get a flannel jacket as well as a second pair of flannel trousers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.