• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, that is all very useful. Think I like the Chiltern because it looks a little less chiselled.

If its the look that bothers you, all good. But if its the physical feel of it, don't be discouraged. I'm normally a wide fit and the chiseled toe cant be noticed comfort wise.

Either way, they're both sexy

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just find the tetbury more comfortable and durable that the Chiltern, the 348 last and rubber soles are perfect but not overly different
I always seem to be a 9.5 in CJs

Comfortable...durable...kind of elven...

:tounge:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a conservative business dress barber (somewhere near 333 collins preferably) that can do a decent buzz cut/fade for somewhere under the $15 mark? I think paying anything over $20 for a clippers cut is ridiculous, but seems to be what most city places charge. My old Macedonian barber in the 'burbs used to charge me $12....

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Maybe you should try somewhere in Footscrazy instead, can get a cut for like $8

Plestor

Reaction score
Sorry for 
spam%5B1%5D.gif
 but I've got a classified ad of shoe trees and a pair of Loakes for anyone interested.

In a more threadworthy tone, what are peoples thoughts on danite soles vs a topy over a leather sole? I work in a school and it's hard to avoid walking in the wet on rainy days, so am thinking of picking up a pair or two to add to my rotation when needed. I'd love to hear others thoughts on the subject. 

I'd say stick with the dainite if you were purchasing a wet weather shoe. With all of the rain in Brisbane recently I have also decided to buy a dedicated wet weather shoe, and I've also entertained the idea of resoling my R.M.W's with the factory brass screwed rubber sole and reserve it for beater use, since that's generally how I treat them anyway.

You'd need like a whole rotation of them for the amount of rain we've been getting... Agreed on the danite tho.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
Had my induction for a big4 today. Never seen so many waist length jackets on men in my life.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.institchu.com/

Anyone tried these fellas?

$25 suit insurance makes me :laugh:. It's your fault the suit doesn't fit, not theirs.

Last edited:

CHECKstar

Reaction score

Gents - I'm after the opinion of those who have met me IRL. Wednesday I'm catching up with Tom and Jen to order my third suit from them. So far I have a a French navy and a mid grey (SB, 4 price suits). My objective, like many of you is to build a solid suiting foundation that will out live the trends and fads of today and tomorrow. I mentioned to Tom I am either looking at something in a charchoal or dark blue pin/rope stripe, he said given my colouring he suggested I steer clear of the charcoal. What are your thoughts, I always thought that a charcoal is a staple that everyone needs, but do agree that I have your typical Melbourne office bound tan.

Charcoal is not a great colour for lotsa folks with certain complexions checky. You know the summer /winter way they define skin colour amongst the experts. That might be good advice. Stick to blues.

everyone should have a charcoal suit as part of their staples. 1 charcoal, 1 navy. then whatever you like.

'Should' is a bit heavy a word to use, but it is safe to have. Like you 'should' own a pair of black cap oxfords, but I don't own a pair nor I see any reason as to why I should.

I haven't met you, and charcoal might or might not be a great colour for you, but TBH, I've never liked the colour as a suit personally as I feel it's quite boring.
My advice is to get it if you really like/want a charcoal suit. If not, I see no reason why a staple wardrobe can't be built out of the hundreds of variations of blues and greys. Personally, I'd get a blue any day over a charcoal. But at the end of the day, it's going to be you who shells out the dough - so get whatever you want.

Thanks for the thoughts. In the spirit of trying to build a wardrobe of staples, and if I was to steer clear of charcoal, should my addition be a navy pinstripe? Or should I move towards a a darker solid gray, or are there any other fabric/colour choices I should be considering?

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

$25 suit insurance makes me :laugh:. It's your fault the suit doesn't fit, not theirs.

According to an email I received when a friend liked them on FB their "Collection" suits are wool/poly blends. 100% wool "suits" start at $399 as you have to buy the jacket and pants separately. The "$25" insurance gives you credit up to $100 for alterations. However that is given in store credit, which puts me off even more than the usual online MTM nausea.

Last edited:

Dress 2 Impress

Reaction score
I've ordered institchu suits before and the $299 MTM suits are all 100% wool. I bought the suit insurance because I wasnt '100%' confident with my measurements.... surprise surprise, my suit and shirts were the perfect fit.... I've ordered MTM suits from 2 other sites and these are by FAR the best quality.

Dress 2 Impress

Reaction score
$25 suit insurance makes me
laugh.gif
. It's your fault the suit doesn't fit, not theirs.

Quote:
According to an email I received when a friend liked them on FB their "Collection" suits are wool/poly blends. 100% wool "suits" start at $399 as you have to buy the jacket and pants separately. The "$25" insurance gives you credit up to $100 for alterations. However that is given in store credit, which puts me off even more than the usual online MTM nausea.

I've ordered institchu suits before and the $299 MTM suits are all 100% wool. I bought the suit insurance because I wasnt '100%' confident with my measurements.... surprise surprise, my suit and shirts were the perfect fit.... I've ordered MTM suits from 2 other sites and these are by FAR the best quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads