• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm how should I approach this: a mate of mine on a passing comment how he wants to buy a pair of Windsor Smiths with pointy toes (and I assume it will also have thos awfully high shoe springs) for his wedding in a few months. I really want to steer him away from those monstrocities, but then again hey it's his wedding.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm how should I approach this: a mate of mine on a passing comment how he wants to buy a pair of Windsor Smiths with pointy toes (and I assume it will also have thos awfully high shoe springs) for his wedding in a few months. I really want to steer him away from those monstrocities, but then again hey it's his wedding.

Friends don't let friends buy Windsor Smiths. Still, it's difficult to advise people on shoes when really the best option is to buy online...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The question is, is he buying because that's actually his taste or because he just doesn't know any better? If it's the former, then leave it. Otherwise point him to Herring and Pediwear and show him what else is out there. He's got to make the choice though, you can only do so much.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, he just doesn't know any better or even cares and goes about his days in jeans and funny video game tshirts. And I really honestly don't think he would shell more than $100 on a pair of shoes (and you guys think I'm cheap!), plus it is rare for him to be required to wear a suit.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not cheap - some people like Rolex, some people like Timex but in this case, it sounds like you have an uphill battle before you and I doubt he'l be full convinced.

Question is, would you be able to get decent shoes for sub-$100? Maybe if you go to Vic Market or something.

What about these or these?

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-post from conservative business dress WAYWRN:

Monday in Sydney again, Shantung silk tie and Simonnot-Godard cotton hank on a sunny day.

Shirt sleeves will be shortened tomorrow; the fabric, a Sic Tess 120 Royal Oxford, is a little lighter and softer than Charles Nakhle and I thought it'd be. A little more tie space on this commission though, which is the way I like it...

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Chiltern and Tetbury. I wear the $^&^ out of my tetburys and am about to get a 3rd pair
Im a UK9.5

So is the Tetbury far more useful than the Chiltern and if so why?

Are you usually a UK 9.5 in C&Js and if so is that what you take in the lasts for these? Do you notice much difference between lasts?

Thanks for your advice.

scar3face

Reaction score
Well, I've decided to take the plunge and jump into the P Johnson made to measure ocean.

I've always had a hard time finding a suit that doesn't require many alterations and given I wear a suit 5 days a week, I don't see any other options.

Plus, I just want to look good.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So is the Tetbury far more useful than the Chiltern and if so why?
Are you usually a UK 9.5 in C&Js and if so is that what you take in the lasts for these? Do you notice much difference between lasts?
Thanks for your advice.

I just find the tetbury more comfortable and durable that the Chiltern, the 348 last and rubber soles are perfect but not overly different
I always seem to be a 9.5 in CJs

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just find the tetbury more comfortable and durable that the Chiltern, the 348 last and rubber soles are perfect but not overly different
I always seem to be a 9.5 in CJs

Thank you, that is all very useful. Think I like the Chiltern because it looks a little less chiselled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads