Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. budgiesmuggler

budgiesmuggler Well-Known Member

I was emailing with Gordon Yao but decided to go with p Johnson instead.

Prices were on par w p Johnson, but it's kind of the same given that Yao only does one fitting.

Not surprised with the 2k for lesser suit, the material is at least $200 per metre, and 4-5m is needed for a suit.

2. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

hey guys,

any1 know where to get some decent ties online that aren't $$$. not looking to spend $100 a tie to get it accidentally stained while eating lunch :(

are herringbone ties any good? currently 3 for $200.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Try this http://www.tiedeals.com/ shipping from US only $6 and a great selection

4. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

thetiebar.com is always an option. Just got 4 from there (2 silk, 1 silk knit and 1 wool). Their silk knit and wool ties are better than the pure silk. Also the colours look darker in the photos than in real life. I thought I purchased a bottle green tie that turn out to be baby vomit green.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

Is that anything like dark forest green?

You can wait for Herringbone or Rhodes & Beckett warehouse sales.
    Some Herringbones were low as $30 each and R&B had their ties 4 for $105 on their previous sales.

6. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

A mate of mine had a suit made with Sam Disano, he reckons it was a waste of money. I've seen the suit irl I don't think I would recommend him. You would be much better of going to PJohnson for the price point he is hard to beat.

7. "6"

"6" Senior member

Pretty sure unless you're over 6 feet, you really only need 3.5m of fabric for a standard 2 piece. Also, interested to know what material was it?

Worsted English wool from respectable mills normally runs around 45 pounds (e.g. Dugdale, Lesser) per metre.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

8. "6"

"6" Senior member

Mate have a great time in Malaysia.

P Lal is now in a very nice upmarket shop, much easier to find. All glass, 2 storeys. Sadly, they have stopped stocking any new C&Js, due to complaints from other suppliers at their prices. The owner was telling me they will be stocking some top-range Cheaneys in the future.

They do have some old C&J stock left, but was slim pickings in my size (8.5UK).

9. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Gents - I'm after the opinion of those who have met me IRL. Wednesday I'm catching up with Tom and Jen to order my third suit from them. So far I have a a French navy and a mid grey (SB, 4 price suits). My objective, like many of you is to build a solid suiting foundation that will out live the trends and fads of today and tomorrow. I mentioned to Tom I am either looking at something in a charchoal or dark blue pin/rope stripe, he said given my colouring he suggested I steer clear of the charcoal. What are your thoughts, I always thought that a charcoal is a staple that everyone needs, but do agree that I have your typical Melbourne office bound tan.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

I thought charcoal pretty much suits every one too. Well the best is to drop by Myer or something and slap on one of their charcoals just to see if colour works or not. Their reason for trying to dissuade you is probably because your skin and hair colour being on the lighter side is too much of a contrast against the suit?

11. meister

meister Senior member

Charcoal is not a great colour for lotsa folks with certain complexions checky. You know the summer /winter way they define skin colour amongst the experts. That might be good advice. Stick to blues.

12. Star

Star Senior member

Hi There

I have a full cotton burbbery trenchcoat arriving in the mail shortly that will need to have the sleeves to be shortened. Any recommendations of a good tailor in Sydney that can do trench coats? I know of a tailor on level 1 on King St in tbe CBD who does suites. Open suggestions and what i need to look out for. Thanks.

13. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up re Sam. I might go and see the lads at PJohnson, to answer your question budgiesmuggler yes I have been to Sams after going to see Charles Nakhle. Sam seemed helpful and the prices he quoted seemed pretty competitive for bespoke, $1800 for a 2 piece suit. 200 for an extra pair of trousers or full canvas. Ill be in Sydney on Monday so i might pop in to PJohnsons and go from there. Thanks for the heads up fellas.

14. fox81

fox81 Senior member

everyone should have a charcoal suit as part of their staples. 1 charcoal, 1 navy. then whatever you like.

15. meister

meister Senior member

Hayel Saad in Pitt St.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.