Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Probably hard to believe but I finally got my first chance to check out Herringbone properly today, previously I'd only ever tried on a couple of jackets at their popup sales.
    As it turns out, their Osaka cut suits fit me by far the best of any OTR suit I've tried previously, not to the standard of my PJohnsons naturally but as close as I could reasonably expect given my fit issues. For some reason I was under the impression that the Osakas had been consigned to history which is one reason I'd not made much effort to get to Herringbone previously.
    So now that I possibly have a decent OTR option fit-wise, does anyone know if the construction is generally consistent, canvassed or otherwise? Could ring Christian and talk some more (and probably will) but also interested in people's opinions here on this. Especially as there's a suit in their ebay store that I'm rather tempted by...

2. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

^ Talk to Charlie's Wardrobe. Every suit he's worn in the WAYWRN thread has been from Herringbone (no stalker)

3. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

ROYAL BLUE BUSINESS SHIRTS

I wanted to ask my learned colleagues here if anyone knows where I can find good quality Royal Blue business shirts. Some of you may recall Henry Bucks used to call them Tester Blue from memory. I have sourced Charvet, they dont have any, Herringbone in Brisbane didnt know what I was talking about and Ralph Lauren only do a Royal Blue in their Purple Range which I understand we cannot get in Australia.

Also, what is the universal view on chinos / cotton trousers with or without cuffs?? All my suiting trousers have cuffs and have for as long as I have been wearing suit trousers. I have recently bought several Incotex trousers that are all unfinished and I need to take them into the tailor in the next few days. I saw the reference to a good recommenced tailor in Richmond, thankyou for that.

Any suggestions / comments would be welcomed.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

5. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

6. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Had a bit of a wtf moment yesterday. I went to an op shop yesterday (just to browse) and found a pair of trousers that were identical to another pair of trousers that I'd thrifted a few months back, right down to the size. Now, if if they were something like PRL 'Andrew' chinos (I have 4 pairs of those, all thrifted), it would be no big deal ... every op shop I go to has at least one pair of PRL chinos just sitting there. But these were Corneliani. I've only ever seen 3 pairs of Corneliani trousers in op shop land. The only thing is I feel ripped off now. This op shop was asking $5, whereas when I bought my Cornelianis, I was slugged a whopping $12. The only trouble is I didn't have $5 on me :brick: so I'm going to sneak back there today and hope they're still there at lunchtime today!

Speaking of rip offs, in another op-shop I spotted a lovely plaid green Brioni sportscoat ... for $50! Now THAT is extortionate! :sly: It's just as well it was 2 sizes too big, otherwise I would have bent over and taken it.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  7. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

hmm I've got a few pre and post Van Laack buy out and I actually used to work for Herringbone on the weekends back when there was a store in Canberra. As far as I'm aware, they were half canvassed before and are fused now, though the newer ones I still have just as good a lapel roll and the quality seems on par. The Osaka never fit me that well in the 38R but now I'm a 40R it's perfect. I think Thebrownman used to work there until recently so perhaps he can chime in also.

8. Philip

Philip Senior member

anyone know of the cheapest place to get woodlore shoe trees or any cedar shoe tree in general? Thanks

9. dingdongbell

dingdongbell Well-Known Member

anyone went to see Gordon Yao few weeks ago? any feedback?

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Endless.com

11. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Actually had one of the (very rare) Milano block suits in French Navy that was fully canvassed. It had more of a built-up shoulder than the Osaka but less structure than the New York. Everything else was quite similar to the Osaka (3-roll-2.5 button config, full chest, suppressed waist etc). This would be back in 2008 and just before the GFC hit.

The other Herringbone suits I had were all half canvassed (2008-2010).

Wasn't aware that they've gone the 'fused' construction route... Shame, really.

To Lennier: would advise verifying for yourself though.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. fox81

fox81 Senior member

i went with another user from here named "quar"

i ordered some shirts as he had an offer on thomas mason shirting. obviously i havent received them yet so i cant tell you much about the quality. id note that he only had 3 collar designs with him (although you can customise them) and only offers one type of button, which were a bit thinner than i prefer.

he had some examples of jackets there which looked very nice, although no better than chan. the prices were on par with what i hear chans prices have risen to. i was shocked to see a suit from any of the lessers books at over 2k usd.

13. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

When to see Gordon and his Eric in Sydney with forum member incontro. Gordon brought my suit for a first fitting as he already have my pattern from before. I was very please with the fit and just needed few little tweaks. My friend took a iphone photo not the best quality.

[​IMG]

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Any recommendations for a navy or dark brown wool shawl collared cardigan in Melbourne or should I be looking overseas instead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.