Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quar

quar Senior member

EDIT

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. quar

quar Senior member

Bespoke Church's? You mean from the Custom Range?

I'd steer clear of Church shoes. Over-priced, and interlaced with corrected-grain uppers.

I guess there is some irony in your post, in that you choose to buy shoes from one of the Northampton makers who offer the least value for money.

3. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

thank you for this epic post - I finally saw the light this year (after I bought a pair of Lloyd's - what a waste of money ) and bought myself some Herring Knightbridge Shoes (loakes 1880). Very happy with these and wont be going back to any rubber soled shoes any time soon.

4. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

I think it depends what Church's you buy. I have a few pairs of Church's that I have bought over the years. They are calf leather and the quality is at least on par with my Crockett and Jones shoes. Church's seem to have got a bad name recently, probably due to some of the "bookbinder" leather they offer in some shoes, but their calf leather shoes, which are available at Herring Shoes, are a great buy (esp. at Herring Shoes price).

And vintage Church's are a great buy (esp. at this price). [Shameless, Pink Socks, shameless].

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Churchs-...-Made-Leather-Upper-Sole-Size-9-/251006697470

[Please do not let my shameless vested interest detract from my message, I am very pleased with the Church's I own.]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You obviously put a lot of thought and time in to this post so I won't get in to it too much, generally well put but honestly nothing we here don't already know. Your preaching to the converted here friend.

I would like clarification on your "Bespoke" Churches though. By the sounds of the above they were ordered over the internet from Adrian (very helpful I agree), perhaps ordered in a different colour or last to what is normally available? Anyway that doesn't matter but in that case this is not bespoke but MTO (made to order). If you travelled to England for multiple fittings on your own pre made last and chose every single detail from the shade of calf to the heel height, then that is Bespoke. I'm currently unaware Churches have a bespoke program at present and if they did they would be upwards of around 2000 quid a pair i'd imagine. Just thought I'd clarify that not piling on or anything.

6. Windowpane1967

Windowpane1967 Senior member

Agree with all the subsequent posts here since my tiresome tirade last evening. Apologies to those whom I have inadvertently preached to the converted. I underestimated momentarily the depth of knowledge here. I will know better next time not to read and rite (write) so quickly and without consideration to the audience here. Many of your comments have been thoughtful and considered, thanks. Next time I promise to limit my commentary to four lines and not write after long days in the trenches.

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

How much would a pair of those set you back? $250 ish?

Call me cheapskate but drivers, to me, are in the category of shoes that I wouldn't pay much more than $100 for. Sort of in the disposable beater casuals category...

8. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Care to share some of those "off the beaten track" locations Blahman?!?

I currently upgrading the wardrobe and shoes are next on my hit-list. Ive tried a few C&J's on at Herringbone but was looking very alternatives as well. My ultimate goal would be a pair of Gaziano and Girlings but unfortunately they are a bit out of my price range for the moment!

Im in Sydney- Anyone know where i can look for C&J quality shoes other than herringbone?

9. sochumpy

sochumpy Well-Known Member

you can find loakes at david jones and josphs shoes stocks some good brands http://www.josephshoes.com.au/
    all upmarked by 100-200 dollars. I buy from http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/

10. lennier

lennier Senior member

Sure it's not just a checklist, but I'm not seeing the shortfalls in execution that you apparently are, other than the aforementioned trouser length which I'd not seen at the time of the original posting. I'd be interested to know what you think they are.

11. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Quick question, does anyone know who PJohnson uses in Richmond for alterations?

12. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

Elite Clothing Alterations at 264 Church Street, Richmond - 9429 3724

13. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

ditto. I'm on the lookout for either a blue suede, or tan leather pair, but I specifically want them to have the 'sole' (for what it's worth) continuing up the back of the heel. Tod's make some nice ones, but the price is a bit eye watering for glorified Volleys :) :)

Also bought the R&B navy PoW suit at lunchtime - finally bit the bullet and paid full price since it doesn't look like getting discounted any time soon, and stock of my size seems to be getting very low. Did get the 'free' shirt though which softens the blow slightly.

14. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Thank you!

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

DJ's put the Tods on sale every now and then, I got my Tan leather drivers at 50% off a few years back down to $225. Great shoes but no way I would pay $450 for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.