1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I can see where you are coming from. But I think FC's version of "city" is a bit outdated and comes more from a North Amercan perspective. Yes, it is historically the case that city = solid/stripe dark suit + solid light shirt. But I think the striped and checked shirts and bolder tie combinations that are part of the City of London look really now an acceptable version of "city" in my mind. I think we take our cues more from London and that whole look spread here from returning ex-pats (eg the founders of Herringbone). The Yanks are more conservative.

I don't see a lot of checked suits, but I concede they are not that rare either.

For higher order dressing, I thought the ideas in the thread were interesting and explained why certain combinations just don't work - especcially at the extremes -and others require caution. Maybe it is his concept of 'beginners' which bothers me. I think what he defines as beginners are really "intermediates", even "advanced intermediates".

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

As far as I know Allen Edmonds don't have an Australian prescence at all. Anyone else know something I don't?

3. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey y'all

Just got a pair of Allen Edmonds "Delray" (split-toe bluchers) that I bought on the 'bay, very lightly used for about $110 shipped. If anyone is looking for a more casual dress shoe I reckon these are a great option, they're a very good-looking shoe and can (obviously) be had, used, for cheap.

[​IMG]

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Interesting comment--I was back in Wagga (my home town) last Easter, and one night I went out happened to be after a local race day. The gear the male racegoers were wearing was a pleasant surprise along the lines you mention: well fitting moleskins, RMs, well-fitting well-made check shirts etc. All in all a fucking massive improvement on what gets worn to race days here in Melbourne, on average.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

yes - I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices it. Its a neat fresh look.

Small Dads Joke::

Where you from ?

Wagga Wagga.

OK OK, I heard you the first time.

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Good to see another riverina boy on here, I'm from Parkes too. I also spend a bit of time at Batlow on my cousins farm (purely for the trout fishing).

7. Inc Interest

Inc Interest Member

I went to a private school in Adelaide and I think it is fair to say that the uniform you described - R.M’s jeans/moleskines etc are a distinct uniform for the 18 year old male that came out of the school, borders especially. Even as casual wear - for going out drinking - RM’s and (sometimes) well fitting shirts make a distinct appearance. That sort of style gets completely butchered however when they are given a choice in suiting or anything closer to ‘city’ wear. It seems that as soon as the uniform is broken then any idea of fit/ proportion and colour goes out the window.

8. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

I believe that in the Aussie context:

1) Corbs' definition of a 'beginner' could be considered optimistic; your average Aussie tends to struggle with basics such as proportion, pattern-matching and the use of colour, let alone the rustification of anything;

2) The people most likely to commit any of these so-called sartorial mistakes would be... well... people who enjoy the art of dress, i.e. people like us; and

3) Even when such 'mistakes' are made, because your average Aussie struggles even with the basics, no one really cares; you will not be called to defend your decision to wear a wooly tie and colourful pocket square with you dark navy worsted. You may be asked - What's with the tie? Interview? - or told - Great tie, mate! - or even - hey, nice suit! - but I have yet to be confronted about any disjointedness in my dressing, contextually speaking, that is.

What was most useful for me was the idea of coherence as confined to purely physicalelements such as texture, pattern and colour, i.e. the idea that everything you wear should have a harmonious inter-relationship, satorial zen if you will. :)

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

Reasonable comment.

Re the coherence - yes and no. Sometimes its the contrast between material texture and or colours that makes an outfit work. Sometimes its complementarity and sometimes its matching (eg suit) or summery material / outfits vs wintery - eg Tweed jacket with linen pants and shoes with no socks might work for the odd hipster in Thornbury but usually it doesn't work.

I agree with point 3 - re "Great Tie" - when I get a comment like that I usually want to go back home and dial it all down a notch.

10. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

[ATTACHMENT=2179]20120224_124944.jpg (1,771k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    Just picking up my new shirt and tie, slight issue with 1 arm and shoulder.

11. ColdEyedPugilist

We're likely in agreement here.

By harmonious, I mean: the various elements of the ensemble (e.g. suit, square, shirt, tie, shoes) should work well together, whether through coherence or discordance.

For example, the rationale behind my outfit yesterday (posted here) was to subdue and balance out the vibrant blue of the navy sharkskin suit by pairing it with a duller midnight Challis Wool tie (Discordance). Today, OTOH, I'm wearing the wine red version of the same Challis tie with my duller gray PoW check suit, and to me, the effect is just as pleasing (Coherence).

12. ColdEyedPugilist

Best to give it one or two washes (check with Charles how many based on this fabric) to allow for shrinkage before doing anything more.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Major issue with that tie as well, to be honest. Also your knot is humungous, maybe try a four in hand?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  14. fxh

fxh Senior member

CEP - I wasn't really disagreeing with you - it came out a bit wrong.

Remember to that a large % of men are in fact colour blind -so its no surprise what you see around.

They cant even tell some primary colours apart well - so how are they going to get subtle tones?

Perhaps not a large %. But some anyway.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  15. ColdEyedPugilist

No prob, FXH.

And re - colour blindness... you would hope that some can draw upon that excuse for the train-wrecks they've put together. First World problems as they say. :tounge:

Incidentally, my father is colour-blind, and in a quite peculiar role-reversal, he's usually the one asking my opinion on colour combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.