• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarfer

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a wedding coming up in July and then another in October, so I need a buy a suit for <$700.

What places would you guys recommend in Sydney?

Thanks

Calibre would probably be best value for money...

lennier

Reaction score

I agree. Some of the 'advice' I've had at that store beggars belief.

I think this is almost de rigeur for assistants in men's clothing stores (with apologies to those here that have done such work and would clearly have been the exceptions to the rule). I think every single OTR jacket I've ever tried on has met with 'that fits you really well' from the SA, despite the fact that - without exception - every single one did not.

Last edited:

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I have a wedding coming up in July and then another in October, so I need a buy a suit for <$700.

What places would you guys recommend in Sydney?

Thanks

TM Lewin at Myer
Herringbone
MJ Bale
Rhodes & Beckett

I wouldn't suggest Target, nor would I take advice from someone called scar3face

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another day, another cross post for FXH

Grey, blue & brown

Details

Coat: Herringbone Sydney Grey Herringbone
Shirt: Cottonwork light blue
Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear unlined 7 fold brown floral
Trousers: Benjamin sartorial charcoal
Shoes: Loake 1880 Blackfriars brown double monks

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM Lewin at Myer
Herringbone
MJ Bale
Rhodes & Beckett
I wouldn't suggest Target, nor would I take advice from someone called scar3face

Does anyone know if the opening sale on TM Lewin is still going? A friend needs a wedding suit...

tone76

Reaction score

I think this is almost de rigeur for assistants in men's clothing stores (with apologies to those here that have done such work and would clearly have been the exceptions to the rule). I think every single OTR jacket I've ever tried on has met with 'that fits you really well' from the SA, despite the fact that - without exception - every single one did not.

The two times I've bought a suit from a menswear store, I've ended up with a suit that fits OK ... apart from the jacket sleeves being too long and the SA not bothering to suggest shortening the sleeves. It was the same SA both times. I was young and didn't know any better...

lennier

Reaction score

TM Lewin at Myer
Herringbone
MJ Bale
Rhodes & Beckett

That's a good list for the sub $700 range. And I think scar3face must have mistaken this thread for some other part of the snark-ridden SF.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TM Lewin at Myer
Herringbone
MJ Bale
Rhodes & Beckett

Herringbone or MJ Bale on sale are particularly worthwhile.

Specifically:

1) Try the Herringbone warehouse in Surry Hills, and

2) ALL SYDNEYSIDERS! Just got an alert from Bale about their new laneway sale in my e-mail! Goto this link (http://www.mjbale.com/) and wait for the flash-player to display sale details. Starts this Thurs and ends Sun apparently. Suits go from $350.

lennier

Reaction score

Another day, another cross post for FXH
Grey, blue & brown

Details
Coat: Herringbone Sydney Grey Herringbone
Shirt: Cottonwork light blue
Tie: Henry Carter Neckwear unlined 7 fold brown floral
Trousers: Benjamin sartorial charcoal
Shoes: Loake 1880 Blackfriars brown double monks

I'm sure others of us appreciate it too. I've not bothered with the waywrn threads for ages now, but it's nice to see locally relevant examples of what people are wearing.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Ssshhhhh Cold eye.

I was trying to get to the MJ Bale Laneway sale before anyone got the suits in my size. Unfortunately as i am a 38 most of the sale stuff goes pretty quickly. Thanks for passing on the tips though.

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MJ Bale really need to offer some sales in Melbourne. We keep missing out down here..

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went to the Harrolds sale.

To me, it was pretty meh.

Only worthwhile items to kop: A nice, quite classic selection of Valentino, Zileri etc ties at 50% off, which brings the normally exhorbitant prices down to just below $100. Some nice Zileri PSs as well down from about $100 to $50.

Popped into Boss too, given all the recent threaks on SF. Can confirm that Selection suits (at least the ones I inspected) are half- and not full-canvassed.

Overall, still unimpressed with the sad state of Oz/Sydney retail...

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any of you guys want a new 42R Durban dark gray conservative pinstripe perfect for the office suit? They go for like AUD1K+ plus but I will take reasonable offers if any one is interested. PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads