Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You spoke too soon! I just got the lawn mowed before it pissed down.

2. Philip

Philip Senior member

I've never really understood the preference for a low button stance, it makes me feel like my upper body is too long and disproportionate to my legs.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Button stance is just a stylistic preference, what's important is where the actual waist of the jacket is.

4. Inc Interest

Inc Interest Member

Does anyone from Adelaide have any recommendations for suit alterations?

5. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I haven't seen the Carminas, but I have a pair of the Aldens (straight tips, not perforated, in cigar shell) and I have been pretty happy with the quality.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me..._ald_m_cap_toe_bal_oxford_shell_cordovan.html

The Hampton is a very classic rounded last - which I like. The only thing with shell is, while it will slightly adjust its shape over time, it doesn't seem to actually stretch much - so you would need to be confident of your fit especially on the forefoot width.

6. tone76

tone76 Senior member

J. Izzo, Hindley St. He handles my alterations for me. Not the quickest, but he takes care and charges a very reasonable price.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

7. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

I know it's been done to death, but the information is scattered all over the thread (and forum).

Where do you guys buy your shirts & trousers? I'm in Canberra, and trips to Sydney & Melbourne that allow for some free time are few and very far between, so online is a good option AFAIC.

Rob

8. Henry Carter

Welcome to another Canberra member! As someone who has lived here almost all my life bar 5 years in sydney I can tell you the shopping here is rather dire (as you have already figured out). There are some well established independent stores here such as John Hanna, Blades, Ken Cook etc but as a general rule the service is usually pretty bad (blades especially) and the prices high. We has Herringbone for a while (which I worked at on the weekends) but it closed down before the Van Laack takeover.

Anyway, I don't really buy any tailored clothes locally anymore except for the odd MJ Bale shirt from DJ's when on sale. Some pointers for shirts -

1 - www.cottonwork.com - I get 95% of my shirts from here now and they are great with my ridiculous requests such as different collar interlining etc.
    2 - Benjamin shirts - http://www.ehaberdasher.com/servlet/the-ALL/keyword/1202/start/1/Categories - I've just ordered 2 of these to see what they are like, the collars and fabrics look great from a glance though.

For odd trousers I'm not much help as I get them from a tailor from Hong Kong, but there are plenty of options out there like the Howard Yount ones etc.

And if you need any ties look me up or my FS threads (website coming April). I can come and see you at work/home etc rather than just online sales if youre in Canberra.

Cheers
    Jason

9. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

That or the Couturist on Gilbert street. Ask for Justin.

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

What do you end up paying for these, shipped?

11. Henry Carter

They do free shipping on all orders and the prices vary from the cheapies at $40 each (which I have 2 of and they are not too bad but cotton blend) right up to Thomas Mason at $150+. Most of mine are from the $70-$80 ranges though (Executive and luxury). Lots of fabrics to choose from either way. Their standard interlining is stiff as cardboard but they will change it to a softer one if you email them. I also get the higher collar which has 2 button closure standard, but again they will change it to 1 button for me no probs with an email after ordering. Best thing I have found is they always take responsibility for mistakes and quality control issues and their customer service is great and on the top of that it's all in US dollars, which benefits us quite nicely at the moment.

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

13. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Bacon: more important than your girly-man clothes.

Comments:
    "
    And that dream didn't prick your conscience??? You didn't imagine what it would be like for an intelligent, sensitive, sentient being to be imprisoned, tortured, slaughtered and dismembered for the benefit of someone to pose gleefully and chillingly in a photo with your remains???

Commenter Meat is murder Location Melbourne Date and time February 20, 2012, 9:50AM
    "

Damn hippy.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

[​IMG]

Anyone want to give me a fit critique on this odd jacket? For me everything is good but the length, which I think is an inch or so too long for an odd jacket--it's more than half my height from foot to shoulder.

(Btw it's Herringbone Osaka cut 38R).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.