Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meister

meister Senior member

All sad. I scored/thrifted a mate who has done me a big favour and has size 15/EUR49 feet some free Italian mocs (3 pairs including a pair of Harris penny loafers :brick:) and now he wants to wear them with his suits :facepalm:.Yeah and tieless of course.... :fu:.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Looking to draw on the knowledge of more experienced people here. What I see is this:

The jacket looks like a suit jacket, there's a collar gap, sleeves don't look right, the jacket and the trousers look too short and there's too much showing of the pocket square.

Is there more or am I missing something here?

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

The patch pockets and what looks like a more woolen fabric makes it likely to be an odd jacket or can be used as such. The glaring problems are the gaping collar, shoulders and sleeves being too narrow.
    As for length, anything within 1" of the crotch is fine with me, especially when worn slim and casually.
    Quar probably hates the high button stance and the very tapered pants with all that wrinkling as well.

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Here is my 0.05 cents worth. Sorry about the spelling.
    [​IMG]

5. quar

quar Senior member

Chest is too tight. Lapels are bowing out. Collar doesn't fit his neck. Shoulders don't fit. Jacket is too short. Buttoning point too far above his natural waist. Nothing about that jacket is right.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I reckon you are all nitpicking. Yes the jacket may be a touch wide in the shoulders but that may be because he's bunched the sleeves up over the elbows.

I think he's rocking it. Yeah there is a bit of pull in the jacket, but the shoes, the pocket square and tie all do it for me.

7. jobro

jobro Senior member

I think if he were walking down the street, there would be no problems with his outfit, apart from perhaps only the length and slimness of his trousers, but that is subjective.

8. quar

quar Senior member

I didn't comment on the trousers because that is the least of his troubles, and trouser length and slimness are more varied according to preference.

It is not nit-picking. There are some glaring fit issues there. I feel like I'm the Foo of this thread here. If he wants to wear a short jacket, and look like a boy, then fine, that is a stylistic preference. But wearing a jacket that does not fit in the shoulders or chest is wrong anyway you look at it.

9. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

He'd still look better than 99% of the people you see any given weekday heading to/from work.

10. quar

quar Senior member

I guess it depends on whether or not you think it is best to wear clothes that are 1 size too small for you, rather than clothes that are 1 size too big for you.

I wear very slim clothing too. But I still think that things need to fit in critical areas like the chest and shoulders. If a jacket doesn't fit in the chest or shoulders, you never should have bought it. Alterations can't fix these areas.

This is a horrible photograph of a dinner jacket by P Johnson Tailors. It's very slim, but the chest fits well, and the lapels lay flat on the chest.

[​IMG]

11. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

Nice jacket. Your calves are the same size as your quads though. Time to squat!

12. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Had a $20 Sportscraft gift voucher sent to me and decided to use it today with in store discounts the polo came to $23.60 leaving me out of pocket $3.60.

13. Axel Ferguson

Axel Ferguson Senior member

I'm pretty sure polo shirts is all I will be wearing there for a while. It was 7 degrees here yesterday and it felt warm, anything over 15 will feel like summer. :p

14. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Actually in Canberra it has not rained today (as yet) and it was 26c makes a pleasant change (lamentations over the loss of summer) and I was able to sit in the sun and catch up with the papers this morning.

15. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yeah I don't think he is rocking anything honestly, stylistic preferences aside the fit is way off which I have told him in waywrn (along with about 20 others)and he has accepted that and said he is slowly going to a more slim but classic fit. Slim is slim but his fits are tight, and not flattering to him and would be awfully uncomfortable. I once remember my tailor slimmed a pair of herringbone suit trousers too much like the above and I wore them for a while like that, they were so uncomfortable I ended up just paying the 350 bucks for a new pair.

He does wear some nice shirts and ties though, but unfortunately they are rarely noticed due to all the other issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.