Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

I have thought about checking the opshops. I recently tailored one of my original suits which no longer fit well and was extremely pleased with the results. Are there any opshops of choice in Sydney or is it luck of the draw?

I saw that dj's has 30% off sale if you buy two suits so I might check it out tomorrow. The only problem with finding sale stuff and outlet is that I'm a size 38 so generally there isn't much stock left! The other problem is that sf has me dreaming of the top end of the market as very one keeps posting great pics.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Can I thoroughly recommend the Bill Cunningham film.I went over to the last place ist on in Melb Como this arvo and saw it.

Anyone who is interested in clothes should see it.

Bill mainly photographs women but he has an unerring eye and a true independence - he makes the satorialist look like a amateur PR boy for fashion houses.

The real joy is of course Bill himself. None of the faux honesty and openness of the reality TV people but true depth.

And his clothes - almost the same out fit each day, but clean and neat, all shirts worn at collar and cuffs. A simple cheap $30 French garbos jacket - simplicity and he looks good. Hes 82.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

He only 29?!

This is why I stick to my nuthugger pants and untucked shirts on my days off. Truth is that I only ever go SF style when I go to work and I don't even do that every work day - checky and akula should know. I was just in my charcoal suit, white barrel cuff shirt and my usual brown cap oxfords. No waistcoat, no pocket square, no tie, no watch, not even a belt. Or was that just me being lazy...

Trying too hard foo style is just facepalm.

Speaking of the Sartorialist :laugh:

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

I don't know Sydney.

If you also look at the top end - bespoke costing $thousands - you see examples of where they would have been better off grabbing almost any opshop suit and whacking it on without alterations.

Whilst it is often true that quality costs it is demonstrably NOT true that money and price ensure quality.

Don't buy too many suits at once - it takes ages to know what suits you (note small suit word play?).

One at a time. In op shops (or anywhere) always factor in at least $100 for alterations.

Generally length, waist sleeves shortening etc and waist suppression.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I will make no comment on how tight your pant would need to be to be nut huggers. Just that mine are so huge I need MC Hammer type pants to accommodate.

My point is even broader - why not - if you are young and (generally) slim - take chances - get a suit that is well tailored but different - as I said cuffs on jacket sleeves - say a 3 piece - 4 buttons up - or belted at back, or something interesting yet classic - young people are boring these days - at least on the forums.

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

I think patterned shirt, jacket and accessories can work together. I believe the main thing is that each item has to be related with each other in some way. So you have contrasting patterns, you need harmony in another way.

Conservative dress is easier because they are mostly solids and very simple patterns, which in that way the pieces are in harmony with each other freeing the wearer to use contrasting colours and tones.

With busy mix of patterns, there is already enough contrast and jarring enough that it needs harmony in colour to tie them together. So where you see busy outfits that work you usually see that the colours of each item are either around the same tone or occupy similar parts of the colour spectrum.

What I seem to notice with SF members is that there is a preference for colour contrasting with everything and quick to call things too matchy-matchy.

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Easy for you to say. I'm still too afraid to step foot in Anton's at Melb Central.

Honestly, mid teens to early twenties is where you can get away with dressing in anything you like and no one will give a rats arse, besides the 'Bah kids these days' comments from fellas like fxh. When you start aging (mid 20s), that's when people start slapping you around to tell you to dress more like a grown up and the chance of dressing in crazy stuff and giving people like fxh the bird will be gone.

8. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I'm nearly 20 and SF WAYWRN dudes get butthurt sometimes when I dress my age.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I thought it was me giving blahman the flip finger. Gee it's confusing sometimes.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

Could I make a request.

Those who post pictures on other threads , street wear or what are you wearing etc, please post a link here, not a full pic, although I have no objections , but a link.

11. jobro

jobro Senior member

Anything can work well when the person wears the clothes instead of the clothes wearing (defining) the person. There are 20y.o out there who can wear "old mens clothes" and still look 100x better than their peers. Have you considered that maybe those cuban heels might be equivalent to today's pointy white shoes that are ever so despised of here?

I request that it be at least MC related. There are hundreds of people on here that post pictures of hair cuts, what they're eating and/or dior sneakers - all of which are not appropriate in a MC thread. What is the point of cross posting everything anyway, isn't that what the forum system is setup for, so that users can easily navigate content they are searching for/interested in. Why not just have one thread for the whole of styleforum?

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

+1
    Funny how young guys always does the opposite of what the older generation are doing. These days big bosses even on the high corporate world ditching the tie to look younger. Our big boss who is ceo for Australia & Asia Pacific never wears a tie. My job is very small position but the company I work for its the biggest international bank . I have seen him on the lift last Thursday his Suit jacket on his hand rough crew hair cut and shirt at the bottom un tucked at the back . Mind you this guy makes at least 7-10 mill a year . Also the suit that he had on was too flashy big chunky blue black and grey stripes !! He did looked like drug junkie !
    Anyway so the older folks are ditching the tie to look younger. And wearing slip on shoes ....
    And younger folks are doing the opposite 3 piece suits, tie and longings ...

13. quar

quar Senior member

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you right here.

14. Philip

Philip Senior member

I agree with you that in certain situations it will look costumey, but I also think the mere fact of my age provides me with a lot more flexibility like fxh stated.

Same reason why I guess I wear BBBF and Thom Browne (not the outrageous kind mind you) now, because I know in a decade or less it'll look silly.

15. quar

quar Senior member

My post above is fairly non-informative, but I just remember this photograph being posted in WAYWRN. For me, it's a train-wreck. This guy clearly is confident. But an infinite amount of swagger will never save this outfit.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.