• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd describe it as a fairly bland grey jacket with patch pockets that would be expensive as I suspect it's made by the forum godheads - Rubi cappuccino or something and would be the price of a new medium sized imported car in Australia.
Otoh it might be more interesting than it looks and have a nice tweedy nap to it.

Yes, those Rubi Cappucino jackets cost a bomb and so do ones Domenico Latte ...

I'm building a basic wardrobe and already have a navy blazer. What I'd like to get now is a plain grey jacket and a similar brown-ish one - bland or otherwise. I'm looking but any suggestions/recommendations would be great - secondhand in good condition is perfectly fine.

Thanks in advance :)

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sat down on a train behind a guy with body odour so noxious that you had to get up from your seat and move levels of the carriage, only to find yourself sitting next to a group of fucktard 14-year-olds listening to the most irritating song imaginable on ******* repeat, all if this of course happening while a toddler screams at the top of her lungs for no reason three rows behind you?

Because this is happening. Right now.

Last edited:

quar

Reaction score

I'm 20 and still at university. Opportunities to dress nicely are rare, and when they do occur well I just can't help myself. I don't do it to show off, it just gives me confidence.
AND ALRIGHT REALLY FLASHY...but I don't think in a ridiculous way. It's a lot better than a polyester pinstripe suit, fluoro coloured shirt, and pointy white shoes ain't it?

I'll be honest with you. This is not a personal attack on you, so don't get me the wrong way.

I think a 20 year old in a 3-piece chalk-stripe flannel suit, with a contrast club collar, is going to look very costumey. I'm 28, and I don't have the confidence to wear such aggressive clothing. But you're right, in that it is infinitely better than the other outfit you have outlined, which seems to be the norm rather than exception in that age group. You clearly roll hard if you wear BBBF and Thom Browne at your age, so I just think it is a shame that you don't invest in some solid, high-quality classic pieces.

Now guys, I never said I had anything against striped suiting, I just think that it would be the 7th suit I would buy, rather than the 1st. I only started this rant because Phillip seemed so proud to proclaim his only "real-suit" was a chalk-stripe 3-piece flannel.

Grey Worsted Lounge -> Black Dinner Suit --> Navy Worsted Lounge --> Mid-Grey Worsted Lounge --> Textured Navy Lounge (Nailhead) --> Grey Flannel Lounge.....

Last edited:

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score
So my mother just bought me a few shirts she saw which were on sale. Unfortunately they are cotton/poly with what feels like a high poly content. Anyway I put one on so she could see what it looks like and oh my fcuking god how can people were this for hours on end? I had it on for about 3 minutes, started to sweat, got a slight red mark on my neck from the collar and felt like I was wearing a tablecloth.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

Has anyone ever sat down on a train behind a guy with body odour so noxious that you had to get up from your seat and move levels of the carriage, only to find yourself sitting next to a group of fucktard 14-year-olds listening to the most irritating song imaginable on ******* repeat, all if this of course happening while a toddler screams at the top of her lungs for no reason three rows behind you?
Because this is happening. Right now.

This is why I drive to work

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
Longtime lurker but relatively new to posting.

I'm currently trying to upgrade from the early 20's look that Phillip spoken of. I need to get a new suit by unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to the likes of P. Johnson whih seems to be the suit of choice.

If I'm looking for a good quality suit for around $500- where should I be looking? Or am I kidding myself. I've looked around a bit but don't really want to head to the generic stores of the likes of calibre and Saba. Should I save my pennies for a bit longer tie are there any reputable good quality suit for around the $500 mark?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm currently trying to upgrade from the early 20's look that Phillip spoken of. I need to get a new suit by unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to the likes of P. Johnson whih seems to be the suit of choice.
If I'm looking for a good quality suit for around $500- where should I be looking? Or am I kidding myself. I've looked around a bit but don't really want to head to the generic stores of the likes of calibre and Saba. Should I save my pennies for a bit longer tie are there any reputable good quality suit for around the $500 mark?

Welcome, and which city are you in? If you can mention your location, it will be easier to discuss options for you.

Prof. B. Bear

Reaction score

There wont be a tremendous amount available for $500 but if you pop into DJ's during sale seasons they usually have a few Zegna's down to $599. Myer currently have a sale on their "Domingo by Dom Bagnato" range. Most are 100% wool (not superfine) and half canvassed. Not sure if they are fused or floating but probably fused (did the pinch test and could pull the middle layer between the lining and outershell free so not too sure). They're down to $299.

I've got two. Spent $90 on alterations and they do me fine for beater work suits until one can afford P.Johnson. You just have to remember that fit tumps all other details.

Not sure where you're located so went with the two major department stores as a general guide.

Last edited:

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I should have said the location.

Im in Sydney so i will check those out. Im torn between getting a couple of nice suits or just saving my pennies and getting my first real expensive suit.. This forum has been invaluable for advice but sometimes i need to keep reminding myself that i need to build a wardrobe slowly rather than looking in the short term. I found a lot of nice fitting suits around the $1000 mark but if was going to pay that i would just save a bit more and go the PJohnson avenue..

Thanks for the tips.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try the herringbone outlet in surry hills, they regularly have suits around $500.

As for the photo with whnay on the last page, I think in his case it works because crucially he sobers it up with a plain blue shirt and navy tie. After spending more time recently and posting more frequently on waywrn, the main thing I have noticed is almost no one know how to keep things simple by getting rid of patterns. Striped suits are regularly paired with checked shirts and even busier ties and pocket squares, and the result is a mindfuck of patterns, which looks crap.

In conclusion to Phillips post and other info, wearing a contrast collar shirt with the flannel stripe suit is a bit much for a 20 year old and risks getting in to Patrick Bateman territory. Though his advice in the movie about bold stripe shirts is pretty good! A crisp white would be better (but admittedly more boring/conservative).

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score

the main thing I have noticed is almost no one know how to keep things simple by getting rid of patterns. Striped suits are regularly paired with checked shirts and even busier ties and pocket squares, and the result is a mindfuck of patterns, which looks crap.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 90% of the pics submitted there are god awful, and the circle jerk is crazy. Always amused me when a member would go in there and give blunt but fair critique and get crucified.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I should have said the location. 

Im in Sydney so i will check those out. Im torn between getting a couple of nice suits or just saving my pennies and getting my first real expensive suit.. This forum has been invaluable for advice but sometimes i need to keep reminding myself that i need to build a wardrobe slowly rather than looking in the short term. I found a lot of nice fitting suits around the $1000 mark but if was going to pay that i would just save a bit more and go the PJohnson avenue..

Thanks for the tips.

You'd be surprised what you can pick up in opshops for around $50 (+ $100 alterations).

But the law is that the loverly Canali suit for $35 that I saw today will always be at least two sizes too large. Great suit the other day Italian cloth - little wear - but size 46L - wtf?

If you were in Melb I'd say truck on down to Azzaro and get one or two of their $200 specials and alterations to fit perfecto.

I reckon you are better off with two ordinary suits that fit you well and look good. 99% of people can't tell the difference or even if they can don't care. Get a couple of pairs of good shoes and some nice shirts.

Try for one or two sports jackets and some grey trousers too.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try the herringbone outlet in surry hills, they regularly have suits around $500.
As for the photo with whnay on the last page, I think in his case it works because crucially he sobers it up with a plain blue shirt and navy tie. After spending more time recently and posting more frequently on waywrn, the main thing I have noticed is almost no one know how to keep things simple by getting rid of patterns. Striped suits are regularly paired with checked shirts and even busier ties and pocket squares, and the result is a mindfuck of patterns, which looks crap.
In conclusion to Phillips post and other info, wearing a contrast collar shirt with the flannel stripe suit is a bit much for a 20 year old and risks getting in to Patrick Bateman territory. Though his advice in the movie about bold stripe shirts is pretty good! A crisp white would be better (but admittedly more boring/conservative).

I wasn't criticizing whnay - hes got plenty of other clothes and can afford to play around. Its just not for me.

I worry about 20 year olds trying to dress like old men.

What ever happened to sex, drugs and rock n roll.

I know this will come as a surprise to blahman but I'm no longer 20 years old. But when I was younger I had 3 button 3 piece suits with flared skirts, double breasted green flannel suit with flared trousers, big window pane checks on yellow and brown suit, green velvet pants hipsters and flared, blue and white corespondent shoes with high cuban heels, RM Williams boots in Santa Fe and high cubans, fringed suede jacket, white suede driving shoes, silver satin body shirts, embroidered flowers on cowboy shirts like Nudie suits - it all seems so bland now - even on street wear.

I'd like to see more 20 year olds playing around with daring suits and dandy peacock looks instead of reading the conservative business dress thread and looking like foo or manton. FFS Foo is only 29 year old even now and he dresses like a conservative granddad - and not even ironically as far as I can tell.

Don't waste youth on trying to look like old men with no imagination or flair. Where are the cuffed suit jacket sleeves, highly flared jackets and such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads