Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

quar - what did you think of the pics I posted ?

Granted its not a full fit shot taken in a public restroom and it really doesn't capture the colour of the material but its a reasonable enough representation of one of my suits I consider pretty "normal".

This is isn't a trick question or a challenge - I'm just interested in different perceptions.

of course it may not be what you are talking about as chalk stripes.

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

Someone say chalkstripe flannel?

[​IMG]

3. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

That's tame compared to my suit! Unfortunately you'll have to take my word for it as the suit is in storage at the moment.

4. quar

quar Senior member

I'll borrow this photograph of whnay to demonstrate what is a classic chalkstripe.

[​IMG]

I personally think that fabric you've posted is a little busy for my taste. I wouldn't consider that conservative by any stretch. But this is coming from a guy who wears the same Thomas Mason mid-blue end-on-end fabric as a shirt everyday of the week. So my taste is certainly at one extreme end of the spectrum.

Don't get me wrong, I understand stepping outside the realm of conservatism, but I don't see how it can ever be a good idea to have one "real" suit, and have that be a flannel chalkstripe. I guess I just find it surprising that people opt for non-basic items, before getting the basics right. A solid grey or navy worsted suit is so much more versatile and smarter looking.

5. Philip

Philip Senior member

I don't have a photo of my suit but i think this is a pretty good representation of how it looks

[​IMG]

I normally wear it with contrast club collar shirts, and the (currently) one Drakes raw silk tie I own, which I guess ups the ante on 'non-basic'. However I think i'm entitled to some concession since I am predominantly a streetwear guy and am naturally inclined to being a BIT flashy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  6. quar

quar Senior member

Flannel Chalkstripe, 3 Piece, Contrast Collar, Club Collar, Raw Silk Tie = "a BIT flashy". :confused:

7. Philip

Philip Senior member

I'm 20 and still at university. Opportunities to dress nicely are rare, and when they do occur well I just can't help myself. I don't do it to show off, it just gives me confidence.

AND ALRIGHT REALLY FLASHY...but I don't think in a ridiculous way. It's a lot better than a polyester pinstripe suit, fluoro coloured shirt, and pointy white shoes ain't it?

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

In my defence I'd say the material I posted is somewhat subdued in real life and, at least in my mind, unremarkable. The stripes sit back into the fabric more than the camera shows.

Anyway. The suit/fabric above of whnay is not something I would wear. It just looks too gangsterism to me. The stripes are too far apart, and too thick and too defined. To be fair some of the high definition might be an artifact of the camera. But even conceding that I think the stripes are too far apart. In my mind a chalk stripe should be faint/ feint and shadowy as if it was actually lightly drawn in chalk.

The preference for single plain colours is constantly reinforced on this forum as the archetype conservative versatile suit. I tend to think this is an American thing being interpreted on this forum. Perhaps I'm wrong here but I'd see the use of stripes , pin, self, herringbone, chalk, guarded etc as possibly a more relaxed English approach. Strangely the Americans are in many way much more rigid and conservative about what is acceptable business wear or CBD as one thread named it.

In USA young men on the make, and perhaps young women for all I know, appear to be fearfull of "out dressing" their perceived superiors and those who hold the power of advancement keys. They also appear more deferential and cautious and this translates into clothes.

So we see on the various photo threads the blandness of approved CBD wear and almost monochrome palate and the contrast of the anything goes as the only alternative. Not much in between, no real dandies, no one standing out.

Below is two swatches I'd call chalk stripe. I can't work out how to get the images to paste on my iPad.

http://www.taylorandlodge.com/index.php/581-2-navy-flannel-with-chalk-stripe-swatch.html

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Sorry to hijack the thread but how would you describe the jacket on the right? I'd like to get something similar but am not sure of what I should be searching for.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'd describe it as a fairly bland grey jacket with patch pockets that would be expensive as I suspect it's made by the forum godheads - Rubi cappuccino or something and would be the price of a new medium sized imported car in Australia. Otoh it might be more interesting than it looks and have a nice tweedy nap to it.

11. lennier

lennier Senior member

Absolutely!

12. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Not if your my cousins. They love that shit. I'm the only Samoan I know that fux wit club collars.

13. eightace

eightace Senior member

Gents,

Opinions/recommendation please, for my first pair of shell cordovan shoes.

Not concerned about the price difference.

Carmina or Alden?

Cheers,

Eightace

14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Can't say I'm a big fan of either lasts... then again my preference is elongated chiseled lasts. But since you offered those two choices, I pretty much just said nothing of worth :laugh:.

15. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Carmina. I've been less than happy with the quality of alden (nothing bad per say I just expect more in that price bracket). NB: this is re owning non shell alden and veiwing shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.