Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

the chief financial office (a.k.a wife) has tightened the financial purse strings this financial year.

Generally referred to as "the handbrake"

Good work PG - its important not to be a dick.

I'm always straight forward with small shops - just looking, or even "Is it OK if I just have a look" and " You are busy with real customers - I'll leave you alone"

Anytime you need advice on raising kids - just ask.

In fact I might start just popping a bit of gratuitous advice in every now and then.

( I'm pretty busy with blahman but I do have some time)

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

sounds like kicking to me.

anyway, he mentioned something about having some sort of C&J night with discounts, custom orders and what not.

3. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

The irony is that it was the CFO who helped encourage my dabbling into sartorial experimention to begin with, as she certainly encouraged much 'splashing of cash' at Azzaro over the past three years.

Now she's had to reign me in a little bit...a perfect example of 'be careful what you wish for'.

But honestly, I've got 9 suits and a sports jacket now.
    1 Dinner suit
    1 'Best suit' (Navy with red and white pinstripes...can look almost purple depending on accessories).
    1 Linen suit
    1 Unlined summer suit
    1 Navy work suit (from Op shop)
    1 Corduroy suit (from ebay)
    1 Charcoal great work suit
    1 Chalkstripe winter flannel suit
    1 3-piece P.O.W check suit
    1 sky blue sportsjacket

That's enough for a decent wardrobe for someone who only wears suits a couple of days a week to work (as I try and ride in the other days). I only need to maintain it. One the 'wish list' is another summer linen suit and a 3-piece corduroy (which I'll buy when my current corduroy bites the dust).

The wife has acknowledged the theoretical need for a pair of black double monks as a casual (but classy) evening shoe..but when this theoretical need turns into practical reality is anyone's guess!

4. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

'Kicking' to me is spending hours trying on suits, shirts, trousers and shoes with no intention what soever of actually buying them.
    I should know...I'm an excellent tyre kicker!

I'm interested in this supposed 'C&J night'.

5. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Do you get much wear out of that one? I just picked up one in navy with a pale pink stripe (VBC cloth) el cheapo and it needs a bit of alteration. Now I'm having buyers regret. Not only is it a bit of a statement, I'm worried it will be too hot.

6. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I have a charcoal coloured suit with a prominant double stripe. I only wear it in winter. And yes, it does make a bit of a statement, but hey, I don't care. It's paradoxically both conservative and outlandish as only a chalk stripe suit can be.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

You're right. There is something a bit FU about a chalk stripe - will have to wait until I am in FU mood....in July or August.

8. Philip

Philip Senior member

I know my opinion doesn't count for much since I am more of a streetwear guy and I hardly ever post in here, but the only 'MC' suit I own and ever plan on owning is a Caruso three piece navy flannel (mute?) chalk stripe and I fucking love it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  9. fxh

fxh Senior member

We need more street wear guys here

10. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Yep. It's generally worn once a week from about April to September. Basically on days that are 16 and below, but it really shines on the god-awful Melbourne winter days where it struggles to get about 12 degrees. If I wear a light jumper/sweater underneath I find I don't need an overcoat. And the flannel trousers are fantastic and keeping your legs warm when the cold southerly is blowing.

It's such a brilliant suit that I'm thinking I might buy another one.

11. quar

quar Senior member

So what do you wear to a funeral that isn't a gangster themed funeral?

If you only own 1 suit, that's a horrible choice.

12. teeo

teeo Member

i searched through this thread and i've found some members who've used otticanet.it. i was wondering if anyone has purchased prescription glasses from them? if so, does anyone know what us aussies use for our prescription axis measurement method? tabo or international? tried googling around, no help.

cheers.

13. Philip

Philip Senior member

I don't think it is. The chalk stripe I have isn't overly striking in the slightest, it's actually very subtle.

The only time I will ever be wearing a proper suit is to general fine arts events, or certain social gatherings if appropriate. Apart from that I don't intend on working in a conservative environment.

Also when I said my only suit that was a bit misleading, because I also have BBBF...and Thom Browne...

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see stripes as too bold. Heres one of mine - I think of it as conservative business for almost anywhere.

Its grey, white broad stripes - + blue pinstripes guarding white.

15. quar

quar Senior member

Fair enough. I just don't see how it is a good idea for your only conservative (non-fashion) suit to be chalk-stripe flannel. If you never need to look conservative, then I stand corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.