Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennier

lennier Senior member

Lol, thanks PG :) Little embarrassing that I was wearing the same crappy online MTM jacket I had on at the drinks meet, but fortunately its fit issues aren't too obvious if I walk fast enough. Where were you having lunch, somewhere near Mr Mason? Plan to be rather better attired tonight for my 10th anniversary dinner - PJohnson and Sam Hober :)

2. meister

meister Senior member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

Wrong diagnosis. If you really caught it you would have asked whether anyone else want anything from Bexley then you can share shipping. :teach:

And looking forward to seeing akula and checky tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

4. fxh

fxh Senior member

Tell them both not to look down on you.

5. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

How thick are we talking?

Too thick for an Australian winter even?

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

If their shoe size is anything to go by, I need a stepladder. :laugh:

7. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

prob fine for Aus winter - id prefer buy a pair something i can wear 3/4 seasons not just for 1 season.

8. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

places for a resole in perth?

9. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

Ah right. Yeah I've always been keen on flannel but have been worried about how useful it would be in australian winter. I've got some lightweight ones on the way so they'll be a good test.

10. blahman

blahman Senior member

Well last winter was frigging cold since the drought broke down in Vic. I had to go buy a knee length overcoat for first time in my life to survive.

11. joiji

joiji Senior member

Bump on this.

Also, reccomendations for a good cobbler in Adelaide? Wanting to get toe taps/plates put in, and while none of them seem to be able to find the actual plates I want, I'm sure I'll need one of them to install them once I find somewhere to source them from.

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Depends where you live I guess, they come well in handy here but we get regular -5 mornings in winter.

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

My experience with Bexley socks is that they aren't all that great. They look great, come in many, many colours and the ribbing looks just right, but the darned things just don't want to stay up. I bought about 15 pairs when I was in Paris, and don't wear any of them..

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I just ordered two belts from Bexley last night- hope there are no issues with them. It's been a real challenge finding a belt to match a tobacco suede shoe.

On another note, is Rekaris the best person to apply sole protectors in Melbourne? Any idea how much he charges? This blog post got me thinking there's no reason why I shouldn't get them applied: http://blog.styleforum.net/?p=571

15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Gerry, I've done this to a number of my blake-stitched leather soled shoes, and one pair of goodyear welted shoes. I've noticed no degradation in quality of the goodyear welted shoes as a result of applying a rubber half sole. As for breathability, people tend to have very fixed views, but I haven't noticed an adverse impact. That said, there is a certain romance to walking on leather soles - every stride an affirmation of the shoe's inherent craftsmanship - but it comes at a price. One, which, as a graduate, I cannot always afford. Nevertheless, if you do opt for rubber, get them to put the Topy Elysee on the shoe, which is a 1.8mm rubber covering. It's the thinnest I've seen offered in Australia for men's shoes. As for the pictures in the blog you posted, it appears they have used Vibram for the Carmina boots with an inlaid metal toe tap. I don't know anywhere in Melbourne who offers inlaid metal toe taps, though I haven't done an exhaustive search as yet. If anyone does know where to go for this, please us all know.

B Nelson Shoe Repair in the US offer it and have a postage service so that may be an option. Any relation to you, Gerry? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.