Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

Quote: Dropped into Maimone once to have a loose button on my coat re-attached; he did it on the spot and refused payment ! can't endorse his abilities but this surely says something about his character

2. quar

quar Senior member

Pretty sure Charles Edwards' prices are cost-prohibitive. I enquired 5-6 years ago, and the prices back then started at $450 or something to that effect.

Outrageous pricing, but he has stayed in business for decades, so I guess he has had the last laugh.

3. "6"

"6" Senior member

Pm'ed.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

SALE ALERT!

I popped into American Tailors in Melbourne and their sale is starting tomorrow but items are on sale now. C&J's (including at least one handgrade) for $395! Drakes ties for $79 and of course shirts and jackets as well.

Probably worth popping in today if you have a chance before the crowd tomorrow.

5. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

My opinion only:

For shirts, stick with what you have in America (I'm assuming you're American?)

For suits, if they fit you OTR, Herringbone and MJ Bale suits are very nice (HBs Osaka and Bales' SUII blocks were based on the Ring Jacket 184 model).

I 've since given up on RTW as I have found good tailors who can make what I want...

6. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Met Gerry today. If the rest of you Australian Members SFers are half a nice, stylish and knowledgeable as Gerry (in his brand new Inca Double monks fresh from The Armoury), we are in a good place.

In other sartorially news I picked up my unlined, unstructured navy Boglioli blazer today. Fast delivery and good service from Flannels Fashion. Very comfortable and a great fit for OTR. Looking forward to getting much wear out of it, probably with jeans or khakis.

Interestingly the cuffs are working cuffs but have been sewn up so the cuff can be altered easily. I think cuff length is fine (will check this properly when I get home) so will get them opened up (that is have the buttons taken off, buttonholes opened and buttons [shell, I think] resewn. The sleeves and lining are already spilt). Anyone have any experience of this?

Gerry, what are thoughts on American Tailors service (given the discussion a few pages back)? My guess is you were quite happy if you bought some shoes.

7. blake3030

blake3030 Senior member

Not sure if there has been much discussion in here about getting Alden shoes in Australia (I usually just lurk the streetwear forum) but I thought i'd share something i've noticed.

Needsupply.com have a growing range of Alden's (Indys, LWB, PTB, wingtip and loafers) in a few different leathers, including cordovan. They're one of the only sites i've seen that both sell Alden and offer free international shipping at a certain price point, plus they offer a 10% discount to StyleForum members (I think the latest code is in their affiliate thread).

As far as getting Aldens to Australia for a reasonable price, this is about as good as i've seen. Non-Cordovan works out around $400AUD and cordovan about $550AUD, given the strength of our dollar. I was lucky enough to proxy some at 30% off from J-Crew last year, but I think I was extremely lucky to be able to organise the proxy before J-Crew pulled the discount on the Aldens, as they usually do.

Just thought that might interest some people. It can be hard to be in Australia looking at these kind of shoes online. Reasonable deals like this make it a bit easier to pull the trigger on something you can't actually try on.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

8. Gerry Nelson

Kind words, my silver-tongued, pink sock wearing friend! It was a pleasure to meet you and I certainly hope we'll catch up for coffee sometime. I'm looking forward to seeing that jacket - I'm after a similar beast myself.

Just to clarify, I picked up the shoes (C&J Westfield tobacco suede semi-brogue oxfords) from Herringbone who were kindly holding the pair for me. I popped into American Tailors on the way there. To be fair, the people at American Tailors seemed nice enough and were quite happy to stay in the background while I looked around. I have to say, the C&J shoes on sale at American Tailors were a real bargain (especially the Merton at $395!) but I'm not in the market for any of the styles on offer.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Hey Pink Socks it would be awesome if you could post the tagged size and the measurements. I assume Boglioli jackets are pretty slim?

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Yeah, runs pretty slim, but not ridiculously, I am no beanpole. I sized up from 42(52) to 44(54). What measurements do you want? I have the jacket here but the tags are not much use I do not think. If you can get to a Henry Bucks you could try them on. Will try to assist though.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Hmm that's ok then, I'm about a 37R so I guess the measurements on a 44 wouldn't be all that helpful. But perhaps other members would like to know?

I looked for the Boglioli jackets at HBs but I couldn't find any, maybe because I was looking for a 38R...

12. quar

quar Senior member

Any Handgrade styles on sale?

13. Gerry Nelson

I think they had a Brunswick on sale.

By the way, is there anywhere in Melbourne I can try on a pair of brown/burgundy long wing brogues?

14. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

Also keen but I'll see what is organised. Atlhough I'm possibly not the best person to talk to about re: local OTR.

15. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

hey guys,

do any of you go to shoe shops just to try them on for size and then order online?

i'll be going to melb sometime soon and planning on trying loake 1880 or CJs.... but then order from plal :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.