Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

Edges are more than acceptable. Well-sealed enough and flush enough with more care in the toe area. Any more detailing than what's done is a bit of a waste so I'm pretty happy with it.

2. joiji

joiji Senior member

Would any other South Australian's (or any of you really) be interested in a small buy of Saphir products from Valmour? I need a couple of things and can't justify a big buy to offset the shipping at the moment. Prices are pretty great from what I've seen, and there are discounts for VAT/multiples of same items (~20% at 10x quantity.). I'd be happy to organise and distribute once everything arrives, but I'd understand if people want an older member to handle this.

Thoughts?

3. tone76

tone76 Senior member

I'd certainly like to source some Saphir products. How much would shipping be from Valmour? Would it be cheaper/easier to source from the US, maybe through one of the SF affiliates? Maybe some other Australian gentlemen with experience in all things Saphir would like to chime in at this point.

4. meister

meister Senior member

I opened a tin of neutral the other day to polish some shoes. Jeepers you want to make sure you polish outdoors! Powerful smell compared to Kiwi. The Renovateur is a fantastic product but the mink oil inside it is also smelly.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  5. meister

meister Senior member

6. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Ok guys, need you to help and put your thinking caps on; I have a small tear on the top edge of a coin pocket on a newish pair of suit pants. The pocket is just at the belt line, so most belts will actually cover it up. It's only small, no more then 5mm down from the edge of the pocket, but I want to know what my options are in Melbourne around a satisfactory repair job (if anything to prevent further damage).

I know we have discussed the lack of reweaving services in Melbourne, but Tom at PJohnson did mention that he might have managed to find one in the CBD. Otherwise, I am thinking of just getting it stitched up, accepting the fact that the stitching will be viable, but hoping it can be done in a way that won't attract undue attention. Any other ideas or options?

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

Small tear at a place no one notices. I would just stitch it up myself with fabric reenforced on the reverse side, which both the extra fabric and the right coloured thread should have been supplied in that little plastic bag of buttons that came with the suit, and save yourself a few bob. But then again I'm just cheap.

8. "6"

"6" Senior member

^^same exact thing happened on one of my herringbone suits. If you can do it yourself, definitely do it as blahman suggests. I went to an alterationist and got charged 10 bucks for a terrible job. Stitching was super obvious and didnt look good at all.

9. joiji

joiji Senior member

Shipping ends up as 25ish Euro for an order, which is about the same as a US order, but the prices are much better than US sites.

For instance, a jar of renovateur is a hair under $15, without taking into account VAT deduction and discounts for multiples, a US site charges around $20-22 for a jar. Similar savings on all the other products.

Here's a link for your perusal: http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-leather-1/medaille-dor-47

10. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Funny - this is also a Herringbone suit... design flaw maybe?

Still have the little bag - no cloth but has some thread and buttons - might need to pay Mum a visit! :tounge:

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Don't be a big sook - do it yourself.

12. Mirador

Mirador Well-Known Member

Well I liked them and bought them ! The more traditional arrangement for dub monks are too flamboyant for me (and dare I say it, corporate Australia). However,Carmina's Phila configuration for the dub monk is more discreet, and combined with the split-toe, makes for a nice shoe IMHO, albeit not to everyones taste

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

I don't quite know how to put this. but er ah er, and don't get me wrong I love the blahsta like a brother (well a baby brother), disagreeing with blahman on taste is not likely to get you booted off my xmas card list at least.

14. Lowly Public Servant

Lowly Public Servant Well-Known Member

That is f'n awful!

LPS :(

15. Sceps

Sceps Well-Known Member

Prowling the streets of Sydney to find Rhodes and Beckett has 25% off shirts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.