• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't forget Buttonmania in the Nicholas Building in Melbourne.  I picked up some vintage french horn buttons for my suit, still in their box for a $1 a piece :D

Whaaaa? Damn, should have checked that out.

eightace

Reaction score
Hi im only new to this forum and need a bit of help on where to buy ties in the Sydney area. I have recently commisioned Charles Nakhle to make me a shirt and will need to buy a tie to go with it. Since im only a beginner I would prefer to go to a physical store to match the tie to the shirt. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Although my tastes are somewhat questionable, plebian even, in the past I have found some fantastic Italian- and German-made silk ties at DJ's. Look for Hardy Amies and Milana. When they're on sale, they're great value, around $40.

"6"

Reaction score

I work for R&B, so feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt, but there is a lot wrong with this post.
R&B suits are half-canvassed, made in Turkey. They are supposedly made in the same factory as Z Zegna and other brands, but that doesn't mean the quality is on par with Z Zegna.
Fabric is often Loro Piana, and sometimes other mills but always clearly marked on the inside of the jacket. There are two cuts at R&B, a slim, and regular.
I'm not a fan of the suits personally, as they don't fit me all that well, and I believe at full price they are overpriced. The finishing is disappointing for the price point.
Just wanted to clear that up.

I stand corrected. Guess I'll have to pay R&B a visit soon and have a closer look at their jackets.

Herringbone has also been skimping on the horn buttons for some years now unfortunately. I don't think procuring horn buttons in bulk would take away too much from their profit margin. Shame that its sold based on good fabric and great construction, but comes with plastic buttons. Thats just off.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For cheap ties, turning up to Country Road or Oxford outlets you can find some decent ties for $20. Especially with Oxford, only get the old stock made in Italy ones as the new tied are really quite rubbish.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although I'm not sure where R&B have their stuff made (some of it Italy, some of it China, some of it somewhere else), I believe it isn't anywhere near the quality of Herringbone -- which produces a lot, if not all of their wares in Germany and Italy. 

I think that Rhodes & Beckett might have ties (and perhaps pocket squares) made in Italy, but that is it.
Their shirts are made in China and, as noted by Naka a few posts back, their suits are made in Turkey.
Their shirts used to be made in Egypt and the store created a faux-back story to support that idea but then switched production to China a couple of years back. Perhaps a new name and a new back story are in order...

Ahh, no... You might find the odd NOS item made in Italy, but other than ties and cufflinks their apparel is made in China or Pakistan. Not a bad thing necessarily - .their new Chinese made stuff is often better cut and sewn than their old Italian made stuff

Herringbone shirts used to be made in Pakistan but since the Van Laack takeover the shirts are made in Vietnam.
Suits used to be made in Japan but are now made in China.
Some odd jackets are made in China but some odd jackets - especially the summery, cotton ones - are made in Italy.
I am not sure where Herringbone's knitwear is made - it could be Italy - but it is nice, albeit not cheap.
Some ties are made in Italy, some in other places. I picked up a couple of nice prints at a sale a while back and they were hand-made in Tunisia, that well-known sartorial haven...

I agree with Naka that R&B suits tend to fit a bit uncomfortably, although that clearly depends on body type.
I haven't tried one on for a while, but I've found them to be a bit stiff, a bit unyielding, and the trousers are tight up top around the seat and upper thighs, and then almost straight down the legs, which seems to be the opposite of the way they should be (ie have a bit of extra room up at the top and then narrow on the way down).

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who knows what this is about you know what to do :D

Specially taken for fxh:

Oh and anyone here work for BHP?

Last edited:

tone76

Reaction score

Hi guys.
Just to let you know, I am going to be scarce for a while. I broke my shoulder in a dog-sledding accident in Norway last month, and am up for about a month of rehab after an op to insert a plate and screws.
Apologies for going OT.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! If nothing else, it's one heck of a story to tell the grandkids ...

I like R&B because they fit me really well. I always had to have my shirts darted, or the sleeves taken up, but no alterations on R&B. As others said construction probably not has good as herringbone.

R&B is one of the very few brands of shirt that fits me well. Again, you'd have to be nuts to pay full price.

When I hit Sydney next month, I will have no choice but to go to the Herringbone outlet.

Last edited:

RemyMichel

Reaction score

Gents - I am still on the lookout for a recommendation for a good hairdresser in Melbourne conservative business dress...

sorry if you have had this answered but ROCKIT barbers is good, $28 and on friday it comes with a beer. I've had many a good cut there!

they're in the Mcpherson Building on Collins street down just past king.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh, no... You might find the odd NOS item made in Italy, but other than ties and cufflinks their apparel is made in China or Pakistan. Not a bad thing necessarily - their new Chinese made stuff is often better cut and sewn than their old Italian made stuff.

I didn't know that -- thanks.

RemyMichel

Reaction score

I want to give a shout out to Hwa Seng Textiles (www.hst.com.sg). Just got some smoked MOP buttons (*) in the mail from them and they are awesome. Took about 10 days to arrive and customer service was excellent.
(* To replace the crappy plastic ones on my RL blazer, kind of disappointing lack of attention to detail there RALPH)

I picked up a very worn zegna 15mil15 orphaned jacket with amazing brown horn buttons. I cut them off and threw the jacket in the bin. I got 3 larger front buttons, 8 sleeve buttons and one internal button (same as sleeve size) for the pocket all for $9.

apple3210

Reaction score
hey guys,

i know some1 recommended michael's tailor in london court (perth) for alterations.

Just wondering if any1 else from perth can vouch for his service? (haven't gone yet as last couple of weeks were too damn hot).

looking to get a couple of shirt sleeves shortened a tad, as well as suit sleeves.

can't go to G&A cos they are closed weekends :(

jobro

Reaction score

hey guys,
i know some1 recommended michael's tailor in london court (perth) for alterations.
Just wondering if any1 else from perth can vouch for his service? (haven't gone yet as last couple of weeks were too damn hot).
looking to get a couple of shirt sleeves shortened a tad, as well as suit sleeves.
can't go to G&A cos they are closed weekends :(

It was me that recommended Michael's ... I can't recall whether or not I stated that Parker & Co also use (and recommend) Michael's for most, if not all, of their alterations.

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think that Rhodes & Beckett might have ties (and perhaps pocket squares) made in Italy, but that is it.
Their shirts are made in China and, as noted by Naka a few posts back, their suits are made in Turkey.
Their shirts used to be made in Egypt and the store created a faux-back story to support that idea but then switched production to China a couple of years back. Perhaps a new name and a new back story are in order...
Herringbone shirts used to be made in Pakistan but since the Van Laack takeover the shirts are made in Vietnam.
Suits used to be made in Japan but are now made in China.
Some odd jackets are made in China but some odd jackets - especially the summery, cotton ones - are made in Italy.
I am not sure where Herringbone's knitwear is made - it could be Italy - but it is nice, albeit not cheap.
Some ties are made in Italy, some in other places. I picked up a couple of nice prints at a sale a while back and they were hand-made in Tunisia, that well-known sartorial haven...
I agree with Naka that R&B suits tend to fit a bit uncomfortably, although that clearly depends on body type.
I haven't tried one on for a while, but I've found them to be a bit stiff, a bit unyielding, and the trousers are tight up top around the seat and upper thighs, and then almost straight down the legs, which seems to be the opposite of the way they should be (ie have a bit of extra room up at the top and then narrow on the way down).

I'll take your word on the shirts - wherever they are made they aren't worth $180. IIRC HB cashmere sweaters are made in Italy, though I wasn't impressed with their cut last time I tried one on (a bit baggy around the middle).

From what I've seen of HB's Italian summer jackets, the finishing and cut is just not on par with their Chinese made jackets/suits. I have one and the finishing is somewhat... let's say, Neapolitan ("eh, whatever!") Lucky it only cost me $100 as that's all it was worth.

It's interesting to note that MJ Bale has started offering lower priced "core" suits made in China with half canvassing. Have to say I thought the quality was just not quite up to scratch compared to their full-canvas *** suits, but for $500 they are decent value and the fabrics are still Italian at least.

R&B may be overpriced compared to HB and even Bale, but at least the quality is fairly consistent, unlike Farage or some of those other "designer" brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads