Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Whaaaa? Damn, should have checked that out.

2. eightace

eightace Senior member

Although my tastes are somewhat questionable, plebian even, in the past I have found some fantastic Italian- and German-made silk ties at DJ's. Look for Hardy Amies and Milana. When they're on sale, they're great value, around $40.

3. "6"

"6" Senior member

I stand corrected. Guess I'll have to pay R&B a visit soon and have a closer look at their jackets.

Herringbone has also been skimping on the horn buttons for some years now unfortunately. I don't think procuring horn buttons in bulk would take away too much from their profit margin. Shame that its sold based on good fabric and great construction, but comes with plastic buttons. Thats just off.

4. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

For cheap ties, turning up to Country Road or Oxford outlets you can find some decent ties for $20. Especially with Oxford, only get the old stock made in Italy ones as the new tied are really quite rubbish.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I think that Rhodes & Beckett might have ties (and perhaps pocket squares) made in Italy, but that is it.
    Their shirts are made in China and, as noted by Naka a few posts back, their suits are made in Turkey.
    Their shirts used to be made in Egypt and the store created a faux-back story to support that idea but then switched production to China a couple of years back. Perhaps a new name and a new back story are in order...

Herringbone shirts used to be made in Pakistan but since the Van Laack takeover the shirts are made in Vietnam.
    Suits used to be made in Japan but are now made in China.
    Some odd jackets are made in China but some odd jackets - especially the summery, cotton ones - are made in Italy.
    I am not sure where Herringbone's knitwear is made - it could be Italy - but it is nice, albeit not cheap.
    Some ties are made in Italy, some in other places. I picked up a couple of nice prints at a sale a while back and they were hand-made in Tunisia, that well-known sartorial haven...

I agree with Naka that R&B suits tend to fit a bit uncomfortably, although that clearly depends on body type.
    I haven't tried one on for a while, but I've found them to be a bit stiff, a bit unyielding, and the trousers are tight up top around the seat and upper thighs, and then almost straight down the legs, which seems to be the opposite of the way they should be (ie have a bit of extra room up at the top and then narrow on the way down).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

For those who knows what this is about you know what to do :D
    [​IMG]

Specially taken for fxh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and anyone here work for BHP?

8. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Hope you have a speedy recovery! If nothing else, it's one heck of a story to tell the grandkids ...

R&B is one of the very few brands of shirt that fits me well. Again, you'd have to be nuts to pay full price.

When I hit Sydney next month, I will have no choice but to go to the Herringbone outlet.

9. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

sorry if you have had this answered but ROCKIT barbers is good, $28 and on friday it comes with a beer. I've had many a good cut there!

they're in the Mcpherson Building on Collins street down just past king.

10. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I didn't know that -- thanks.

11. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

I picked up a very worn zegna 15mil15 orphaned jacket with amazing brown horn buttons. I cut them off and threw the jacket in the bin. I got 3 larger front buttons, 8 sleeve buttons and one internal button (same as sleeve size) for the pocket all for $9.

12. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

hey guys,

i know some1 recommended michael's tailor in london court (perth) for alterations.

Just wondering if any1 else from perth can vouch for his service? (haven't gone yet as last couple of weeks were too damn hot).

looking to get a couple of shirt sleeves shortened a tad, as well as suit sleeves.

can't go to G&A cos they are closed weekends :(

13. jobro

jobro Senior member

It was me that recommended Michael's ... I can't recall whether or not I stated that Parker & Co also use (and recommend) Michael's for most, if not all, of their alterations.

14. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'll take your word on the shirts - wherever they are made they aren't worth $180. IIRC HB cashmere sweaters are made in Italy, though I wasn't impressed with their cut last time I tried one on (a bit baggy around the middle).

From what I've seen of HB's Italian summer jackets, the finishing and cut is just not on par with their Chinese made jackets/suits. I have one and the finishing is somewhat... let's say, Neapolitan ("eh, whatever!") Lucky it only cost me $100 as that's all it was worth.

It's interesting to note that MJ Bale has started offering lower priced "core" suits made in China with half canvassing. Have to say I thought the quality was just not quite up to scratch compared to their full-canvas Jap suits, but for $500 they are decent value and the fabrics are still Italian at least.

R&B may be overpriced compared to HB and even Bale, but at least the quality is fairly consistent, unlike Farage or some of those other "designer" brands.

15. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.