• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suppose, hypothetically speaking, you were to visit the Henry Bucks sale and tried on a few Boglioli unstructured jackets that fitted you very well for Off the Rack and looked and felt very good, and though they were very nice and you were tempted you decided $800 or more was too much to spend on an jacket that was not MTM and that you did not necessarily need (or where not thinking about getting for a while)...
Then, hypothetically speaking, you were just browsing online as you liked the jackets and wanted to know more, get peoples experiences of the brands and see more options and photographs. Then, hypothetically speaking, you might be tempted by the prices available, which were less than half price (including delivery) of the sale items in Henry Bucks (see links below).
http://www.kafka.co.uk/sale/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.kafka.co.uk/browse/Boglioli_0_413_0_de_c.html
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale.aspx
http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-new-season.aspx
http://www.yoox.com/YOOX/BOGLIOLI/m...dAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.yoox.com/searchresult.as...dAuthor=&size=&spr_code=&textSearch=&last=ipp
http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=boglioli
What then if you, "hypothetically speaking", bought one as your size was available and cheap (ish - based on what you have seen and read) - http://www.flannelsfashion.com/designers/men/boglioli/boglioli-sale/boglioli-sale-details/i/14144-b1 . Should you then feel guilty for using Henry Bucks as a "try on" service and not supporting Australian business or lament that you you are priced out by the Australian retailer. It kind of upsets me when one of the main reasons I started to think about a Boglioli jacket, or even buying a blazer now, instead say in 6 months when back in the UK, was that I saw it in Henry Bucks, but buying it for double the price just seems ridiculous. 10% price up maybe but not 50% (especially when that is literally hundreds of dollars - not small change, even in Prince of Paisley's book ).
Anyway, just in case anyone else, hypothetically, have visited Henry Bucks and had the same thoughts. Hope it turns out well and I am not hit by some sartorial karma.

I can see your dilemma. But IMO, HB's markups are quite exorbitant. Though they may argue that this is the only way they can survive, due to lower volume of sales, I am strongly in support of the "adapt or die" mentality and cannot in good conscience condone the high mark ups they are currently charging. I do not expect them to match online prices (for that not feasible), but I also cannot see why as a retailer who buys at wholesale prices from suppliers, they somehow see fit to charge twice the amount of recommended retail prices offered in brick and mortar stores overseas. Not to mention the savings they would have had from the strong Aussie dollar these past few years which, by most accounts, they have failed to pass on to their customers.
I second the not guilty verdict.

I think the key difference here is that HB is basically re-selling a foriegn brand at an inflated price. This not only allows consumers to find the exact same thing online for half that price, it encourages this behaviour.

Where Australian retailers sell their own designed, sourced and branded items (alas, generally never "made" as well), it becomes much harder (read: impossible) to look online for the same thing to get it cheaper. The proposition then simply becomes "will I pay $xx for this nice jacket?", not "will I get this for half price online?".

In the former case I would pay $800 for the right RTW jacket, sure, assuming the quality and fit justified it in my mind. In the second case, I think you'd be pretty foolish to pay significantly above the odds to a capitalist - whether he be local or not - for something that is clearly worth a lot less than what you would be paying for it.

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score
Dudes the Internet is here to stay and those companies like HB who don't adapt will die. There is no reason why they can't turn to the Internet and compete on a global basis. I see no shame in supporting innovative business which provides the same service cheaper.

Maybe they need to do something about the wholesale costs, or move to different products. But it is no different to what other companies are facing and unless they get with it they will lose business.

budgiesmuggler

Reaction score
If you're looking for a quality cheap suit, TM Lewin have just launched at myer. 30% off their suits for the next few weeks, which is about $250 for a full canvessed suit.

Not my thing but I recommend their gear, it's quality. Not many companies make shirts with floating collars and cuffs and these guys do it and keep costs down.

lennier

Reaction score

If you're looking for a quality cheap suit, TM Lewin have just launched at myer. 30% off their suits for the next few weeks, which is about $250 for a full canvessed suit.
Not my thing but I recommend their gear, it's quality. Not many companies make shirts with floating collars and cuffs and these guys do it and keep costs down.

Their suits are great value basics on sale, at least have been online, but as far as I know they're half canvassed, not full (I have two of them).

bhall41

Reaction score

I'm curious as to how American Tailors has been lumped into the 'Henry Bucks mark-up' bin.
When Henry Bucks have sales, their prices move from ludicrous to expensive. When American Tailors have sales their products are often the cheapest you will find anywhere on planet Earth.

Duly noted - TBH I rarely shop or even browse at American Tailors as they seem a bit aloof and disinterested, even when I am suited. So, given the choice of purchasing C&J from Herringbone or AT at the same price, I would chose the former.

Last edited:

Mirador

Reaction score
Henry Buck's is one of those organisations failing to adapt to the combined affects of online-shopping and a strengthening dollar. Their client base is probably someone conservative in their 50's who probably doesn't use the internet for shopping, isn't fashion-forward, and is a creature of habit with their purchases. However, those days are evaporating fast, i want to support them, but their costs just don't make sense, at least Harrolds has proper air-conditioning
wink.gif

BTW, will Henry Bucks have further discounts or do they typically lock in a reduction rate and stick to it ?

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a bit of a dilemma here...maybe someone can give me some advice
I got quoted around $250-300 form Katrinas to get my 42R suit sized down to a 38R which includes fixing the shoulders, tapering the sleeves and taking the waist in (without adjusting the length of the jacket which I think needs to be done (which is probably a mammoth task)). On top of that it's $50 to alter the pants (waist taken in, tapering of the legs and hemming). Now looking at it from an economics point of view, it would be cheaper to do this than to get a new 38R suit from say...Herringbone for $900.
The suit that I'm considering fixing up was $500 when I bought it. It's some no name Daniel Hechter brand. Should I consider saving it?

42 down to 38 is a big step, and probably not worth it for that suit. Maybe take your cash to Azzaro and have a look at the Enrico Coveri suits currently going for 250.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the things you need to understand here in Australia is that if our farmers (honest proper real genuine hardworking dinky di aussies), or miners ((honest proper real genuine hardworking dinky di aussies) or car workers (honest proper real genuine hardworking dinky di aussies) manages to produce something cheaper, at better quality and give better service and thereby undercut nasty un-australian overseas producers (say Canadian miners, USA wheat farmers, everyone wool producers, USA car workers) then that is A GOOD THING. Not only is it a good thing - it is patriotically Australian to sell oz goods cheaper and better to any overseas country.

On the other hand.
If some overseas country (nasty non australians who can't work properly like us) manage to produce some goods cheaper, better and offer better service than us (like clothes, cars, food, TVs, computers) then that is very very nasty underhand competition or dumping and is not only unfair to the true australian hard workers ( farmers etc etc) but it is every australian's duty to not buy things that are better and cheaper from overseas.

In this we are to be lead by our heros:
1= Dick Smith, who made his millions by importing cheaper and better overseas electronics and undercutting all the small australian electronics stores and distributors and also putting the great Australian company AWA out of business. Dick now makes bad tasting knockoff s of Australian food spreads and biscuits and charges us extra for them. Dick is now opposed to anyone else building a business by better and cheaper imports.

2= Gerry Harvey. Good old Gerry now makes very little sense. But when he could put a few words together he was urging us to not buy cheaper and better on the nasty un- Australian Internet. He also deplores cheap and better and more reliable imported goods made by Chinese in particular. Gerry urges us to support local Australian stores like his. Gerry never mentions that he built his fortune on building big sheds of stores with no service, that sold imported TVs, fridges, washing machines, couches etc, and put an end to the thousands of small family owned white goods and furniture and electronics stores in each suburb and country town. Gerry never mentions that there is hardly anything at all Australian made in his stores. He buys it all from overseas. Perhaps even by that nasty Internet?

St Dick and St Gerry are given many many hours of free media space, even on the ABC, and an easy ride by reporters, in order to advertise their businesses and spruik their self serving nonsense.

Its a funny old world isn't it.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a bit of a dilemma here...maybe someone can give me some advice
I got quoted around $250-300 form Katrinas to get my 42R suit sized down to a 38R which includes fixing the shoulders, tapering the sleeves and taking the waist in (without adjusting the length of the jacket which I think needs to be done (which is probably a mammoth task)). On top of that it's $50 to alter the pants (waist taken in, tapering of the legs and hemming). Now looking at it from an economics point of view, it would be cheaper to do this than to get a new 38R suit from say...Herringbone for $900.
The suit that I'm considering fixing up was $500 when I bought it. It's some no name Daniel Hechter brand. Should I consider saving it?

Definitely not worth it. Not even worth it if it were a Borrelli suit, and most definitely not worth if it is a cheap brand.

Sell it or give it away and buy a new suit in a size that fits you well. Buying a well-fitting suit in will always - always - be better than having one that is two sizes too large dramatically altered to fit.

Shortening the "skirt" of the jacket isn't much of a job - although you can only take it up by 4-5cm at the very, very most in most cases otherwise the pockets will look too low - but taking in the shoulders is a big, complex job that most places would charge $180 to $200 alone to do. Combine that with all the other bits and pieces that need to be done and it is simply throwing cash away that could be much better used to buy a suit in the right size.

Hope that doesn't sound too forceful, but I'd much rather you used the money to buy a new suit that fits well and then just have the sleeves and trouser length adjusted.

streetminimal

Reaction score

Definitely not worth it. Not even worth it if it were a Borrelli suit, and most definitely not worth if it is a cheap brand.
Sell it or give it away and buy a new suit in a size that fits you well. Buying a well-fitting suit in will always - always - be better than having one that is two sizes too large dramatically altered to fit.
Shortening the "skirt" of the jacket isn't much of a job - although you can only take it up by 4-5cm at the very, very most in most cases otherwise the pockets will look too low - but taking in the shoulders is a big, complex job that most places would charge $180 to $200 alone to do. Combine that with all the other bits and pieces that need to be done and it is simply throwing cash away that could be much better used to buy a suit in the right size.
Hope that doesn't sound too forceful, but I'd much rather you used the money to buy a new suit that fits well and then just have the sleeves and trouser length adjusted.

Just re-affirmed my decision to buy another suit! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads