1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i didn't know. i dislike his online persona, though.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Nobby
    It might be the volume of shoe is too big, or the shoes tree isn't tight enough, or none of those just natural wear and tear, patina in other words, it adds character to shoes and individuality, so your shoes aren't like all those other iGentt shoes that look like they are just out of the box and haven't been worn by one of your actual humans.

Wear them proudly, don't worry.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

with 25 pairs of shoes, there's no need to topy, imo. i have done it and do not regret it. it was a technical decision by my cobbler and we discussed it upfront.

actually, why don't throw rubber solded shoes into the mix? the good rtw makers really know how to do it.

i'm not in the hater camp. just try to understand the logic behind?

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Unlike shooey, and he's always on my back, I have a fair few pairs of rubber soles. I don't have a problem at all. Shooey does.

Anyway fritzl, what time is it there and what is the temperature?

I was at ballarat on the weekend and a top of 10C

7. Romp

Romp Senior member

I agree here.. Makes more sense buying rubber soled shoes for wet days. The problem is if you do have decent leather shoes in australia, when they do eventually need a resole (even with 25 in rotation they will eventually need a mend), options are very limited.

Anyone think that applying a topy to the front part of shoe and leaving the heel in original condition will change the pressure on the mid section since the shoes angle when resting has changed? I.e. higher at front, lower on the heel. Could that have been another reason for the creasing?

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you're eight hours ahead. it's lunchtime here. it's fwocking cold since two days. actually not more than ten degrees celsius, dang.

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

Isn't it nearly bloody summer there?

Yeah I've had a big long weekend, Friday, sat, Sunday. Been up country on business stayed ata mate who has a small winery. Had to help with tasting. Also a bit of a night Thursday.Now skyping with Taiwan , sorting out business.

Anyway tonight I'm tired, light a fire, a bit of harmless tv and bed.

10. joiji

joiji Senior member

Not sure on the resting, but as with any surfaces which are glued together, they obviously cannot slide against each other. This inability to the surfaces to move independently is sure to play havoc somewhere, although that may not be what has caused this. There have been a couple of long standing cobblers/shoe makers poking their heads up on the forum recently, I suspect they would be better armed to determine the cause. In future, maybe ask for a thinner outsole to be applied? My local cobbler has quite a stock of them, and generally uses one between 1-2mm thick. I'd be interested to see if there was any difference between the effects of different thicknesses.

On another topic, anyone in Adelaide got any Loakes in 10.5/11? Looking to see how I fit the Capital/026 lasts in F fit. Alternately, if anyone can drop by Rundle Mall and check out if DJs has anything in these lasts on display? I don't have any time to make it in there for the next couple of weeks. Happy to work something out with you for your trouble.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

nearly. weather is not very reliable here...

busy times. take a rest. your plan sounds good.

12. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Working from home today:
    [​IMG]

Shoes: RL Marlow by C&J
    Socks: Falke
    Trousers: Uniqlo vintage chinos

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Rhodes and Beckett warehouse sale time again tomorrow and Wednesday.

And I finally bought myself a canvas bag from Fossil.

Bought one of these from DFO for $85:
    [​IMG]

I think it uses the same #8 duck canvas weight as the Filsons, as I assume the thinner bags from Fossil would be the more common #10 canvas.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Hey Blahman, are you looking for anything from the R&B sale? The bag looks pretty good and that's a good price as well. I'm interested to know how it will wear over time.

15. blahman

blahman Senior member

Still on my purchase ban, so nothing for me. I bet R&B still going to have heaps of those maroon/navy knit ties left if you're still interested :p.

Thought give heads up to people who are not on R&B mailing list and looking possible for some knit wear. At the last warehouse sale there were quite a bit of knit wear on sale for quite cheap. Although that was 6 months ago when going into summer.

Hope the bag holds up well enough over time but I shouldn't be too optimistic.

16. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Guys I've got 5 two piece cedar shoe trees that I would like to get rid of. They are suitable for size 8/9 UK shoes and I'm looking to get $25 each. Hoping not to have to ship them so anyone in Melbourne interested in them? They look like this but without any varnish ...

[​IMG]

17. lennier

lennier Senior member

I'll take a pair off your hands Appolyon :)

18. fox81

fox81 Senior member

ill take some if he doesnt want all 5

19. math_grad

math_grad Member

fxh, you've made this statement before. What do you mean by properly repair; are you talking channeled soles, beveled waists etc, or just a straightforward stitched sole? Incidentally, who are these 2 cobblers?

20. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Strolled past the Rhodes and Beckett shop at the West End of Collins St. Looks like they are getting ready for a sale, as they had loads of cardboard boxed layed out over all the tables.

Can we keep an eye on this please? I need to pick up some pocket squares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.