Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naka

Naka Senior member

I believe it is a true angled channel, from what I've seen from the other samples in Deer's showroom.

The changes I'd make would be mainly aesthetic, but in terms of order process I would definitely have measurements taken in the morning while my feet haven't swollen up. I've noticed that in the morning the heel can be quite loose, but in the afternoon the fit is satisfactory. I'd rather have a tight initial fit that slowly loosens as I break the shoe in, than a heel that slips occasionally. My other stylistic changes I'd have to discuss with Rene to ascertain their possibility, but things like lacing options, seamless heel counters, and a double sole that tapers to a single sole in the waist of the shoe are things I'd like. Also, photos of the construction process would be very pleasing.

2. meister

meister Senior member

Could they just copy one of my favourite vintage spade shoes do you think?

3. Naka

Naka Senior member

I'm not entirely sure. I'd have to ask Rene, but if you give me a picture I'd be happy to.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

:p lolz

5. Plestor

Plestor Senior member

I'd suggest that this is likely. I've currently got an example pair (EG) with Deer to seer if we can get a more refined waist / heel.

From what I could see yesterday I agree re: the channel. Intersting on the measurements.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oh oh

7. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

Hey,
    I bought 5 pairs of trees from www.endless.com a couple weeks ago, $29.99 each, free shipping over $100 and they were here in 4 business days. From the US. Just after Christmas.

So impressed

8. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

I also saw you standing in queen st yesterday. [​IMG]
    I'll make sure to say hi next time

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

9. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Anyone visit or plan on visiting the Henry Bucks sale?

Took a look at lunchtime today. A few SF type characters around including one chap in a grey pinstripe (P Johnson Tailors?) suit with three patch pockets and a nice pair of brown double monks.

Obviously there was the usual overpriced stuff and all the sale stock they pull out over and over. But the things that caught my eye were Edward Green shoes at half price (basically down to about $1000), which I thought was pretty good (for the Australian market); a few Drakes ties (properly still better going through the Drakes site), Belstaff waxed jackets down to about $500 and some lovely Boglioli jackets. There was one which was a DB unlined, unstructured blazer which felt like putting on a old favourite jersey. This is it - http://www.henrybucks.com.au/store/Boglioli-Jersey-Wool-DB-Jacket.html - down to about $850 from memory. Also these two (I think, the Henry Bucks website is not the best) which were reduced and also captured my interest - http://www.henrybucks.com.au/store/Boglioli-Unconstructed-Wool-Jersey-Jacket.html / http://www.henrybucks.com.au/store/Boglioli-Washed-Linen-K-Jacket.html

My plan for this year was not to buy any more suits/jackets off the rack and maybe getting a suit or blazer made up by P Johnson Tailors. But these did tempt me today and also looked online for some other Boglioli stuff (which are cheaper but lack the advantage of being able to try them on). Anyone have any opinions or experience with Boglioli? Or am I better to wait and get something for P Johnson? Or maybe do something useful with my money?

10. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Henry Buck's is known around town as having unbelievably shitty service. I've walked in a fair few times to have a poke around and it's proven to be true.

I would always recommend MTM or Bespoke over off the rack any day -- even though I would say that a Boglioli garment would be worth the cost you pay for it.

That said, P. Johnson is arguably the way to go. He takes good care of his clients.

11. meister

meister Senior member

Nothing wrong at the Sydney store FWIW. They tracked down a particular tie for me in all their shops till one was found.

12. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Really? That's strange. They looked at me like I was garbage, last time I visited.

And despite the fact that I am garbage, I felt it was unnecessary.

Out of interest, what tie was it?

Plus, since you've had good experiences in the past, it might be better to rest on that laurel. Maybe pick up some Boglioli if you go overseas?

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Walking down the basement (FOB) level of Melbourne Central today and saw the poster on The Face Shop entrance. Notice the tie in the picture looking mighty like one of those awesome zegna bicolour knits. Just an observation, no real point to this.

14. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

PHUK ME - How much do EG's normally cost in Australia?

15. fox81

fox81 Senior member

i saw some kid labouring over a DB boglioli jacket, so that was probably you. they're leftover from the last sale, although agreed that theyre still great if you fit them. check out yoox as they have a fair few boglioli jackets and are cheaper than the henry bucks discounted price.

as for the drakes ties, i didnt see too many, but one i did was reduced to 69 which is much cheaper than you get from the drakes sales. i bought one last year at 95 or so dollars and that was still good. there are some other decent value ties in there.

the range of EGs is fairly limited, and at 1k AUD, its pretty similar to the full price that theyd cost in GBP.

i thought there was some great knitwear there, but again it was all the stuff from last season. hopefully they do a bit more discounting. plenty of cucinelli but still too rich for my wallet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.