1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I've heard rumours that Blah may be a thespian - then again, it could just be an act.

2. mh4k

mh4k New Member

Will anyone else be attending the MJ Bale invitational event tonight?

(also, this is my first post, so hello from Sydney!)

3. xiaoli

xiaoli Senior member

^ i am going for the free tie :embar:

i am wearing all cotton today, and going to a wool event...

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

So what do we all think of this dude?:

http://kolonelmustard.com/

I think this is one of the better renditions of very skinny fit.

[​IMG]

5. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Gecko, I'm on a similar jopurney mate. I have always had a bit of an interest in dressing well, but when I was heavier than I am now I was happy just to blend in with a generic, slightly daggy look. Then a few years ago I decided I wanted to dress better and be a bit healthier too - so there was a real danger of over-capitalising in the clothes department at that point.

What I did was very consistent with fxh's advice - that is I replaced the drab poorly fitting suits with second-hand. I hadn't bought second hand since clothes since I was at uni and that was part of the look then - but I was astounded at what people throw away. I got a small collection of nice quality suits (Canali, Dunhill etc) and because they were so cheap I could afford the alterations needed to make them fit and still not break the bank if they ended up too big. If you are not put off by the thought, check out Vinnies in Paddo. For example I saw a Hickey Freeman (very high end USA) suit in what I think was a 46 or 48 long (was way to long for me) not that long ago. Priced about $40. Vinnies at Rozelle is also worth a look.

I lost a bit of weight and most of those original suits went back to Vinnies. I have now moved into the middle phase. Still want to lose some weight, but as this phase is (ahem) dragging on a bit, I have bought a few new things when they have been a good price, but I have made sure they are a decent fit at the shoulders, so taking in is an option down the track. Azzaro in Melbourne is good for this. We have Voi up here, which can be good value. Bought a nice Cantarelli suit at a clearance off-shoot from the posh menswear shop in Perth (can't remember the name).

Also I have a couple of suits I had made in Hanoi - not exquisite quality, but they weren't dear and have proved very durable. If contemplating going down this path, it would pay to do your homework. HK has some top tailors which would be too costly unless you were confident you were at your preferred weight. I have dealt with cheap tailors in HK, Thailand and Vietnam and, honestly the suits were rubbish. But I have used (by Asian standards) a couple of middle of the road tailors - the one in Hanoi I mentioned and one other in HK - and the quality:value ratio was excellent and the fit very good.

When I lose a bit more weight I am going to build a higher quality wardobe from scratch (a nice incentive!). I really like the P Johnson product - so that might be an option for you too (look him up online). In photographs they can look a little too fitted, but when you see them in real life settings, the quality and fit is super. A member here, ColdEyedPuglist, wears pretty much all PJ and, having met him, his gear is immaculate. I also thiink they are good value suits.

fxh raises the problem that PJ's blocks may be too oriented towards slimmer guys with more standard proportions. The suits are made to measure, but from a limited number of house-style patterns. What level of variation from the standard block can they work with ? I'm going to cross that bridge when I come to it - though I do note that EthanDesu (who is a bit of classic menswear guru - you can check out his tumblr) worked for PJ and wore the house brand for a small while - and he is tall and solid.

Sorry for the ramble - hope it helps.

6. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Thought I would share my new purchase with everyone- these arrived today. They are my first "adult" pair of shoes (by adult i mean not aquila standard!). Second hand but in great condition

Gaziano and Girling Rothschild

[​IMG]

7. Gerry Nelson

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

You went from Aquila to G&G as first shoe!

I don't usually drool - but the waist on those is wonderful.

9. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

They fit really well allthough there is a lot of room in the toe box. I am probably more of a 7.5 than an 8 but there is no hell slippage and seem great.

I hadnt planned on jumping straight up to G&G- i love them of course but first hand they are prob a bit out of my price range. They popped up on the classifieds threads and here they are. Makes my day better as i was outbid on a pair of carminas today on ebay. Damn computers. What a day that would have been.

10. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Great advice here. I too lost a fair bit of weight (20kg) last year and got a lot fitter. The result was that I had to get rid of most of my wardrobe as I was just too big (tried to get a few things altered but it turned out to be a fruitless endeavour, even stuff that used to be tight was too large). So I decided to slowly and surely build a versatile and classic wardrobe (with the odd impulse/random purchase to keep it interesting).

Once I got to a decent weight I got a suit made by P Johnson Tailors. I love it and the benefits of getting a MTM suit are multiple but here are 3 lesser discussed.
    1. Getting a great MTM suit gives you another incentive to stay in shape.
    2. If the suit starts to be too tight watch you diet and exercise regime.
    3. If it starts to get too loose go for takeaway!

Good luck with the sartorial journey (I can recommend P Johnson Tailors - very much looking forward to getting another suit and some shirts made up) and the weight loss (James Duigan's book Clean and Lean helped me, as well as lots of training, but everyone needs to follow what works for them).

11. Gerry Nelson

You make some interesting points - I lost about 25kg last year but was waiting to get to a consistent point before going down the MTM path. I read somewhere that Tom (at P Johnson in Melbourne) upon hearing that a prospective customer was beginning a new exercise program, actually advised him to hold off getting his suit made until his body measurements had 'stabilised'.

12. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Hi gecko.

Azzaro stocks Canali, which have a cut that's well-suited to those of us a bit thicker in the middle. You might be able to find a Canali there for about 1/3 what the menswear shops will charge RRP. Some of their other stuff, like Versace, might be too slim-cut for you.

I have a few nice 2nd-hand suits in 46 and 44 that don't fit me any more. However you're a few inches taller than me, and are probably an L rather than a R, so that might not help much.

13. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

That was me - but my issue was weight gain rather then weight loss. In fact, although I did not intentionally set out to 'bulk up', we still had to increase my chest and arm measurements on my latest commission marginally compared to my first two (not significantly, but more in the pursuit of perfection).

14. MickyD

MickyD Senior member

lovely shoes. This is going to sound really anal, but try 'swapping' one of the directions you do your knots when tying your laces (i.e. instead of R over L, R over L, try going L over R, R over L). It'll make the bow site nicer. Someone suggest it to me last year, and it took a while to get used to, but it makes a MASSIVE difference, and my laces NEVER come undone during the day now.

15. Gerry Nelson

This?

16. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

This works.

Good point about stabilising GN.

17. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I really want some Longwings by Alden :drool: but I can't seem to find out where to get them...

What would be the next best thing to them?

18. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

19. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Do leffot or the shoe mart? Leather Soul do - give Tom a call

20. md2010

md2010 Senior member

amazon.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.