Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

AFAIK - this $9 charge was imposed on USPS by Homeland Security ( special handling for any package over 500g imported to the US) - to make us living here feel so much safer.

I sent myself back 10kg on Friday and that is what Oz Post told me.

2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Yes.

Its a tax we pay to keep USA safe.

3. fxh

fxh Senior member

Been in there lots of times over the years.

Never purchased anything yet. (Although I have taken in others who have purchased)

I've always treated them well, and they have always treated me well.

Had many long conversations about clothes and Opera.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yep - +1. According to Australia Post, at least, it's not their fault but it is a surcharge imposed by the US to cover the cost of security checking of overseas parcels. The US Dept of Homeland Security (or whoever checks the mail) charges the fee to Australia Post, who then passes it on to us.

5. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

Thanks for the feedback. I honestly prefer something with a nice deep pocket for notes, but it's not like I tend to drink in a lot of rough bars really.

I'd be lucky to carry 10-12 notes. I've had the rare client that pays me in cash, but that gets taken straight to the bank in its brown paper bag so...

6. meister

meister Senior member

The AUD9 Obama postage surveillance levy that the Aussie Government is collecting and brought in temporarily was supposed to be finished last Christmas and is still going. Whether Obama is ever seeing the money I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

7. blahman

blahman Senior member

I miss the days when people make deals with briefcases of cash.

Oh fellas who ordered trees please check PM and send me yo cash.
    Or I'll find you and bust a cap in yo ass... or something.

8. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

They came with the shirts - can't remember which brand. I still have a little case of collar stays I bought in Gowings in a mix of short and long sizes. I miss that store. Not always the best quality, but you could get just about any item of menswear there.

As well as collar stays, here are some things they stocked that you may be hard pressed these days to find:

Shirt studs, button braces, Taylors shaving cream, decent shaving brushes, good hats, nice cotton boxer shorts, proper dressing gowns and pyjamas, arm bands, $5 haircuts etc

You may still be able to get theses things if you hunt around, but Gowings had them all in one convenient location.

9. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I spent $100 on an Oroton wallet four years ago and that was why I got the BB Cordovan its falling apart not good value at all

I would never put coins in a wallet

Simple solution get card wallet, I think on average most people would carry 6 bits of plastic these days, BC MC, Visa, Medicare, Licence Health insurance, transit card and best of all Cabcharge saved me at 1am staggering penniless from a party or pub.

And then get a money clip I mean who carries cash? If not at pub, football, markets or even buying lunch, why hold cash? mind you having a 17 year old son who thinks his father is an ATM is my reason for not carrying cash. But virtually everything I do these days is done via plastic.

10. Geoffrey Firmin

WTF double post?

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Yes Gowings was one of those institutions whose demise I sadly lament, Bonds white cotton singlets for $2. I used to use the barber shop a regularly in the early 80's one of the German barbers used to do a precision military short back and sides for $5 great value for money. Sad what happened to it.

Arm bands I think I still have a pair gathering dust some where, still have a clothes brush my father bought there.

12. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I think they jumped the shark when they started stocking all that adventure gear and novelty products.

13. tone76

tone76 Senior member

I guess that's what cars are for. But often, one ends up with little bits of shrapnel through one's travels. Whilst I prefer to use plastic so I have a paper trail when I conduct my monthly financial post-mortem, it is inevitable that incidental expenses will require cash. It is also inevitable that said incidental expenses will generate change ... and I could put it in my pockets until I get home or to my car, but I find the sound and feel of loose change rattling around quite jarring.

Therefore, despite the fact this is most definitely not SF Approved[​IMG], I am one of those infuriating people that carries coins in his wallet.

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Gents, my first Cordovan shoes. I tried on with Dark navy pants looks quite good actually to dress them up as business attire.I may even try a darker polish. Haven't tried them with grey pants yet. The colour is Dark Cherry. I still couldn't find a belt to go with it.Any suggestions ? Would wear at work once a find a nice belt. Until then they are on my store room !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

For some of us it hasn't gone. Not briefcases, that's only in films. It's usually a plastic shopping bag or if dealing with Italians a rolled up wad of notes in an elastic band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.