• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All stores. The liquidators have instructed all stores to liquidate stock at low prices. No one has bought the FJ name and network.
Haven't seen anything desirable at FJs for many years.
Such a pity. Used to have good sports coats.

Was thinking of turning up to snag a bargain, but then realised I don't qualify for a Seniors card yet so I decided to stay home and sleep in..

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know not everyone will like this comment.. But are a few of the guys at American Tailors absolute wankers?

I think it depends on the customer.

I have been in there a few times, with others, in the last two months.

Always pleasant and chatty for quite a while.

I know they hate people trying on shoes and then buying online.

"6"

Reaction score

Still not a good enough reason to give shoddy service IMO, there's just no reason for that sort of behaviour. From personal experience, I find most times they seem uninterested at best. Currently I avoid that place based on how they have treated my friend in the past, but that's my beef.

To be fair to them, as reported in recent posts on this thread, their shoe prices are rather competitive with online retailers. Especially considering you can fondle the actual merchandise before deciding to buy, and you can get your stuff right away.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rafa and Nole are going at it hard 5.5 hrs of that stuff is nuts.

Plestor

Reaction score
+1. I have a pair of Deer shoes I'm very happy with.
http://www.deerstyle.blogspot.com

MTM or from your own last or off the rack standard?

Deer have a couple of toe shapes that they tend to use, but the rest of the shoe is customisable, based on a variety of foot measurements including heel width, foot height, width at a couple of points and so on.

IIRC you can do your own last if you have one.

OT: Modern tennis is stale.

Last edited:

__PG__

Reaction score
Jaypee said:
I know not everyone will like this comment.. But are a few of the guys at American Tailors absolute wankers?
Maybe they could tell you were from Sydney? :D ;)

Last edited:

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe they could tell you were from Sydney? :D ;)

Really? I even put on fake tattoos, got a **** haircut and pushed around a single speed to fit in though? :(

I think it was probably because i'm 26 and he thought I was a time waster. Owell, i'm sure a few of the fellas in there are decent

fox81

Reaction score

I think it depends on the customer.
I have been in there a few times, with others, in the last two months.
Always pleasant and chatty for quite a while.

Ive experienced both overly friendly and aloof service in there. It really is a mixed bag.

None the less, their shoe prices are extremely competitive, and theyre obviously keeping up with the market, stocking brands like Carmina and Gaziano & Girling, when they have no australian presence otherwise. If price and product range are what drives you to shop online, then you have no excuse not to shop at American Tailors and you should support them for listening to the consumer. Frankly, i dont go buy abroad for the quality of service.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really? I even put on fake tattoos, got a **** haircut and pushed around a single speed to fit in though? :(
I think it was probably because i'm 26 and he thought I was a time waster. Owell, i'm sure a few of the fellas in there are decent

Mate, you forgot the ironic mustache. Rookie error.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit surprised to hear about American Tailors. Always been to chicken to go in and poke around (with no intention of buying anything). Did walk past one day and heard one of the blokes going off in Italian to a mate, something along the lines of 'f#cking blazers, what f#ck with all the blazers!'.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I said exactly that but swap 'blazers' with 'shoes' when I went down to the basement level of Isetan Men in Shinjuku on my Japan trip. :laugh:

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've only been in once (last week) and encountered one real '******* Schmuk'. I noticed 4 boxes of G&G's on the floor and he got all pissy when i asked if I could take a look.
Needless to say, i did not stick around. I feel sorry for you blokes still in Melbourne - at least there are some great online affiliates here for you.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ How dare you ask to see the merchandise!

Story from the LA Times on custom shirting over there:

Custom shirts, cut from a different cloth

Custom-made men's dress shirts were once considered the privileged peacockery of the moneyed set — a dash of sartorial swagger that could be afforded only by Hollywood A-listers, Wall Street bankers and monocle-wearing aristocrats of a bygone era.

But today, thanks to advances in technology, a competitive market and consumer demand, custom clothing has moved within the barrel-cuffed arm's reach of the common man. Click a button in Burbank and a factory in Beijing can cut and sew a dress shirt made to specification — not just in size, shape and fabric, but with a mind-boggling number of other options as well (including mitered pockets, contrasting buttonholes, French cuffs and rounded collar points). And it can be delivered to your doorstep in less than three weeks for the sum of $100 — less than half the price of an off-the-peg luxury brand using the same high-end Italian fabrics.

That's the business model of 5-year-old, Dallas-based custom clothier J.Hilburn, which couples e-commerce with a nationwide direct-sales team of "style advisors" armed with fabric swatches and tape measures who do initial in-person consultations. The company has gone from selling $1 million worth of custom dress shirts in 2008 to more than 10 times that last year, according to co-founder Veeral Rathod. "We sold 100,000 custom dress shirts in 2011," Rathod said. "Up from 60,000 in 2010."

More: http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-custom-shirts-20120129,0,1643119.story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads