• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gassyndrome

Reaction score

Guys - how on earth do I get my socks to stop squeaking against the soles in my shoes?
Happens on both my Cheaney's and my Herrings....
Do I need a super thin fabric innersole? I feel like it's my thin dress socks rubbing against the leather lining.
People can hear me walk by around the office as I squeak along!

I once heard a splash of talcum powder in the shoes would do it, but that may have been myth.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I once heard a splash of talcum powder in the shoes would do it, but that may have been myth.

No it works. Amanda Vanstone recommended it on TV according to my wife! Go figure...

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I just came back from London and that place is a shopping haven for me. (Can't wait to make my next trip again). Not only are suits, shirts & shoes way cheaper than Australia, the selection they have there are extensive to the point I had a hard time deciding what to get. Suits I was aiming to get were astoundingly cheaper (at their regular full price) in London, whereas in Australia, the store I frequent is hammering at more than TWICE the price. **** that. In the end, with VAT deduction, I have got a bloody bargain to boot.
I just don't understand why Australia market are stupendously marking up prices. I guess people are still buying marked up ****. I have been guilty, just because I didn't know things are dirt cheap elsewhere. Is there a luxury tax on clothing items that I am unaware about? Educate me.

No just a rip off that has made some people exceedingly rich and who are recognizable every weekend in the social pages spending their profits on various expensive knees ups. Eventually they become the subject of an ATO audit or worse a client of Korda Mentha in a wind up action.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ralph Lauren on Collins St in Melb has 'Anthony' Cut Blazers in Navy (with the Silver buttons) for around $500.
This is a great price on a nice Caruso Jacket - they are a staple solid that never go on Sale in my neck of the woods.

Definitely going to check that out. What is the cut like? And do they have many sizes?

Smetana

Reaction score

Gents - I am still on the lookout for a recommendation for a good hairdresser in Melbourne conservative business dress...

Steven at Herr Blick is amazing. He does really good classic styles and is based on Collins Street. He's very pricey though.

I have heard good things about the Melbourne Barber Shop as well. I will go there in a couple of weeks to check them out.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Melbourne interested in some full shoe trees or other stuff from Bexley? I'm about to put an order down for 5 for 59 Euro trees and a pair of midnight blue suede oxfords. Any one want to combine an order and save on some shipping?

Shoe trees should work out to be about $23 each including shipping we can meet up in the conservative business dress after work.

Last edited:

Smetana

Reaction score

Anyone in Melbourne interested in some full shoe trees or other stuff from Bexley? I'm about to put an order down for 5 for 59 Euro trees and a pair of midnight blue suede oxfords. Any one want to combine an order and save on some shipping?

I would love to pick up five myself. I'll send you a PM.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ralph Lauren on Collins St in Melb has 'Anthony' Cut Blazers in Navy (with the Silver buttons) for around $500.
This is a great price on a nice Caruso Jacket - they are a staple solid that never go on Sale in my neck of the woods.

Had a look at some pictures on the internets. Shoulders look a bit extreme...

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone in Melbourne interested in some full shoe trees or other stuff from Bexley? I'm about to put an order down for 5 for 59 Euro trees and a pair of midnight blue suede oxfords. Any one want to combine an order and save on some shipping? Shoe trees should work out to be about $23 each including shipping we can meet up in the conservative business dress after work.

That's surprisingly inexpensive. I remember looking at Bexley a few years ago and their shipping costs were horrendous at the time, which dissuaded me from using them. $23 a pair is a great price for nice cedar shoe trees including shipping.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to place the Bexley order Monday night as the marginal savings on shipping beyond 15 pairs is pretty minuscule since the initial fixed portion of the shipping cost is now way eclipsed by the variable portion. So far I have my 5, Checky for 2 and Smetana for 5 trees. It is at 18.129 Euros per pair shipped and according to Google it is roughly $22.36. Unless some shitstorm of a day happened tomorrow that change the rates drastically we're looking at $23-23.50 each tree which I hope is enough to cover the xrate spread. So for those in Melbourne interested in shoe trees (especially beneficial for those looking for only a couple of pairs), this is the last chance to sign up and pm me how many pairs.

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's surprisingly inexpensive. I remember looking at Bexley a few years ago and their shipping costs were horrendous at the time, which dissuaded me from using them. $23 a pair is a great price for nice cedar shoe trees including shipping.

That is still pretty much the case. It is not worth it to just buy a couple of items and really need to buy quite a few items to use the set discounts to offset the shipping cost enough.
Buying 1 pair of trees costs 55 Euros which is quite insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads