Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Just rather unhappy with the last few cuts to be honest - they seem to be great with short hair, but anything with a bit of length seems to be disappointing (probably partly due to the white collar short back and sides clientele they normally serve).

2. blahman

blahman Senior member

I'd love to recommend my hair cutter dude, but you might end up looking like you're in a Korean boyband.

3. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

This is not a discussion that, sadly, has any interest for me anymore!

4. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Got my shirt from Carbon Copy today. I haven't tried it on yet as I'm at work, but my first impressions are that despite the fabric being 2-ply Egyptian Cotton, it doesn't feel that nice (although this may improve after a wash), and I'm a little disappointed there is no capacity for collar stays. It's noticeably better than the Pierre Cardin and Van Heusen stuff I used to buy pre-SF, but the claim that the shirts "are unashamedly a copy of a shirt you’d expect from a Jermyn Street, London shirt seller" is perhaps a little optimistic. It's about half a notch below the likes of TM Lewin.

Still, if you can live without collar stays, and you need to bulk up your wardrobe with staple beater shirts, the 3 shirts for $99 deal is decent value and you could do much worse for the price. However, I'm not sure I'd pay $69 each when bought separately, especially when I can buy something in a nicer fabric from MT for that kind of coin.

My $0.02.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Did anyone go see David Sedaris this week at the Athenaeum? I went last night --absolutely hilarious.

To make it SF-related: he commented on the modern tendency for grown men to dress like boys (pleated khaki shorts, t-shirts, white runners). Also this gem: "the way most Americans dress when traveling is like they were washing shoe polish off a pig, threw down their sponge and said f*** this, I'm going to LA!"

6. fox81

fox81 Senior member

im interested. any guidance on pricing?
    and i take it he wont be back that soon to do a fitting?

7. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

In regards to pricing, here's what Eric from Gordon Yao told me -

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We’ll be visiting Melbourne on Feb 23rd (Thursday) to Feb 24th (Friday). Tentatively, we’ll be staying at Melbourne Marriottl Hotel (subject to confirmation).
    You can reserve the appointment time and date with me via e-mail (recommended) or give us a call prior to your arrival to check for the appointment availability. I will send you the finalized itinerary when available and I’ll also update the confirmed itinerary on the style forum and our website. It’ll include the hotel phone number there.

All of our suit are fully canvassed. The price is depending on the fabric. The price for a 2-piece suit is starting from US$1200- and up. On average, an excellent quality English or Italian fabric 2-piece suit is about US$1650- to US$2200 range. The price for an extra pants is about 1/3 of the price of the suit. Sport jacket with excellent quality English or Italian fabric is around US$1200- and up.

Let me know if there are further questions.

Cheers,

Eric

and

Our shirt with Thomas Mason and Monti fabric is about US$200- and up. Minimum order is 3 shirts per order.
    On average, each appointment takes about 45mins but it really depends on how long it takes for you to select the fabric. The appointment start at 9:00am to 7:00pm.

We’ve finalized our Australia Itinerary. Enclosed is the confirmed Itinerary for your reference.
    We’ll be at Melbourne from Feb23rd to Feb24th. We’re staying at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins. Please let me know which day and time you would like to come.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

8. TCW

TCW New Member

I started going to All the Kings men around 5 years ago when they were around on Errol, it was always nice and quiet, now they've moved around the corner it takes up to two hours to get a cut! On the up side, they now have skateboarding magazines to read (Although none of the staff members actually ride a skateboard, which is a bit odd).

9. quar

quar Senior member

YGPM.

10. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

their suits were previously 950 and upwards.. What they're asking now is ridiculous

11. quar

quar Senior member

What do you expect to pay? I feel that the Australian Members thread is full of people with unrealistic expectations of what quality clothing costs.

12. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I don't how long ago that was Gordon Yao's prices started at $950. The prices are on par with WW Chan's prices, I don't think it is ridiculous. If you compare to what is available in Australia.

I don't know where else you can get a decent bespoke suit for around $1700 without having to travel to Asia.

13. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Can't agree with that, JP

Given what bespoke tailors charge in Oz, these prices seem eminently reasonable.

After all, Yao has a rep as one of HK's best.

And if I weren't already happy with P Johnson Tailors, I'd might actually give them a try.

QFT

14. eightace

eightace Senior member

For all those with a penchant for items which include the words 'Made in Australia' (and with more esteem for their underwear than has blahman), worth a look is this company. I have several of their fit shorts, which, according to my wife, make me look very fit indeed!

NB two things: 1, free shipping and 2, not everything they sell is made here - check details to be sure.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Went there this morning. Took 2hrs 15 minutes from start to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.