Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

Are we really in the middle of summer? I wore tweed today!

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I wore my 3-piece today. Don't worry - summer will be back by the weekend.

3. blahman

blahman Senior member

In the mean time: flannel tomorrow :cry:

4. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

5. adamadelaide

adamadelaide Member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tailor for suit and shirt alterations in Adelaide?

I'm looking to get some reasonably minor work done to a suit and a few shirts (collar lowered, sleeves shortened, waist taken in from trousers, darts/trimming of shirts).

I've spoken to folks at DJs (Hugo Boss) and Rhodes and Beckett, both pointed to an alterations shop in Da Costa Arcade, 'Ann' ALT Professional Alterations.' Forum search here also has mention of Joe Izzo, but that was 3+ years ago now. Anyone had work done by either?

EDIT: Oops. About a minute after I posted this I found another reference to Joe Izzo in this thread 100 or so pages back. Looks like the safest bet?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Mines the izoard also, I bought the frame and built it up with my current dura ace off my BMC and splurged on a pair of clincher magic cosmic carbones, which are almost the toughest wheels I've ridden over the years I reckon. I'll see if I have a pic of it somewhere.

7. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

In the early 80s my burnt orange metalic Apollo 10 speed ( with toe clips and without helmet) was my pride and joy and I would ride all over Sydney on that thing. Then I moved away from the suburbs, went to uni, and stopped cycling.

In 2004 I decided to get back in to cycling to get fit. I was vaguely aware of clipless pedals, but I had no knowledge at all that STI had been invented...which caused me some embarrassment the first time I went for a test ride and had to ask the guy in the bike shop how he expected me to change gears if there were no shifters on the down tube.

Had a similar experience with skiing. I stopped for about ten years for various reasons and when I resumed, I fetched my trusty old rosi's from the attic and the bases just crumbled in my fingers. Off I went to the local ski shop to hire a pair. "what size do you normally ski?" ..."210!" came my confident reply. The young guy just stood there blinking at my pudgy 175cm frame wondering what to say next.

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

SFer on the 96 tram last night? Brown toe cap double monks, navy flannel chalk stripe with peaked lapels?

9. Marbles

Marbles Senior member

10. tone76

tone76 Senior member

+1 MT

On a related note, I posed a question about Carbon Copy shirts many moons ago. Looks like I'll be able to answer my own questions about them as I pushed the button and bought one of their shirts the other day during their clearance sale. I'll soon find out whether or not I just wasted $45, or if I may be able to purchase 3 acceptable staple shirts for $99 from them in the near future. Staple fabrics are one thing MT sorely lacks, especially at the entry levels.

+1 Izzo

I've used him on a number of occasions and I have been very happy. Very reasonably priced - in fact, more often than not, I pay him more than he asks. I've had suits, shirts and trousers altered. He's not the quickest in Adelaide (he'd be at least 80 years old!), but he does a great job. He once made a suit for Dean Martin (yes, THE Dean Martin), so there you go.

11. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

^^ Just an FYI... MT have moved to address that 'no staples' problem, and are now aiming to keep some staple fabrics in stock for at least 6 months, at around the $75 price point. R80929-03 is one of them. More deets on their Facebook page.

Edit: It's true that these aren't entry level prices, but for pure cotton two-ply fabrics I'm happy to pay it.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Good letter to the editor of the Fin Review today entitled "Please stop whingeing, Gerry Harvey".

13. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Yer, sounds like me.

14. scar3face

scar3face Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just a quick intro to say hello. New Aussie member, been lurking for a while and decided to join up. Soooo much fantastic information, suggestions and above all, style here.

Looking forward to contributing.

EDIT: Should've included a little about me: newly single after 10+years marriage, mid 30's and are looking to 'start again' so to speak.

So I'm starting from the feet up!

I saw a few pages back a navy P Johnson suit that I can't stop thinking about, would love to get my hands on one of those (or similar).

15. fox81

fox81 Senior member

I've been tempted to get a pair of the carbon clinchers from planet-x. around half the price of the cheapest cosmic carbones.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPX52CCL/planet_x_52mm_carbon_clincher_wheelset

im riding a look 585 with sram force

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.