Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fxh

fxh Senior member

meister is the guy to ask about this. He's got a shoe monkey on his back love that encompasses many years and shoes.

[My (limited) experience is that around one (1) size difference is about right, although in some cases it can be .5 and others 1.5.]

Keep in mind the people using the Brannock devices aren't always highly skilled, although you wouldn't have to be too clued up to use one. I thought some of those Brannocks had USA and UK sizes or maybe they are different machines. You can nearly buy one yourself for the price of returning a pair of shoes - or trying to sell a pair that don't fit - {wink}.

edit:: size comparisons from Brannock. http://brannock.com/brannock/images/chart2_revised.jpg

It would be worth getting a set of USA and UK Brannocks in each major city to swap around for say $5 and recoup the cost

edit:: Brannock Device - Adult UK Sizes (Unisex) Ref: PA1908 Price: $179.00 (Excluding GST AU at 10%) http://www.algeos.com.au/acatalog/The_Brannock_Device.html

Amazon USA or UK sizes mens and womens = usa $65.99

Same price direct from Brannock

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

2. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

$1,094. I flipped out. Who do they think they are? Edward Green? I feel sorry for the poor suckers who spend that much. Sure, they are a welted shoe with a closed channel sole, but the last shape is clunky, ugly and the leather quality looked average.

My C&J handgrades look like the bargain of the century compared to those.

3. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Edward Green wishes they were Lloyds ...

JL, G&G and Vass are quaking in their non-Lloyds boots.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Just pop over to the Outlet store. It's just hanging there for everyone to see. I know you live down that way :laugh:

And speaking of shoes... Who might make Boss Selection Goodyear welted Made in Italy shoes? Surely there can't be that many makers as Blake is by far more popular a stitched manufacturing method.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

No I don't - I'm an international man of mystery - but I did work over near those outlets a while back.

did you snap it with yr phone you cheeky bugger?

6. blahman

blahman Senior member

Snap what with my phone? :laugh:

7. RemyMichel

RemyMichel Senior member

I'm going to say something and i hope i dont get a whole lot of sh#t from you here guys. But does anybody else in this thread agree that sometimes people sacrifice looks for quality? and i dont mean because of lack of funding.

There are some clear standouts imho such as p.johnson, zegna, incotex, GC, lobb, crockett & jones etc that get the balance between traditional mens tailoring and with the times sleek, well designed clothes/footwear that take into consideration whats in fashion at the present moment. Though i dont see the appeal in conservative brands like church's, allen edmonds, H freeman, isaia or even in some respects Brioni and Kiton.

I understand that mens tailoring and fashion are two different kettles of fish, but i just like many of you i believe are drawn to mens tailoring by the aesthetic just as much as the love of quality, luxury items. Do you think that some people go to far or should i just be looking at it from the angle of yet another aesthetic choice from a different group of people?

Is it such a crime that i would rather wear a pair of hugo boss shoes than allen edmonds?

apologies for the rant :)

8. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

I agree. Most people I've seen so far dress really nicely but there are a few who I feel make some strange choices

9. blahman

blahman Senior member

^^ Just difference in aesthetic preferences, that's all. One has to remember that the demographics here range between late teens/early twenties all the way up to 60+ and from all over the world. Influences to their choice of clothing - even though we're still talking about suits here - can be quite different.

That said, AEs are butt ugly.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Impossible. Must have been measured wrongly. Too much disparity.

11. meister

meister Senior member

What could possess you to go there at this time of year? Love of frostbite? Acquavit? Herring? Midnight sun?

12. eightace

eightace Senior member

Ha ha, nice one [​IMG]

Well, that's what I thought, but that's what comes up.

Honestly, shoe sizing is a dark art.

13. blahman

blahman Senior member

Sure you didn't read the women's scale instead?

14. eightace

eightace Senior member

Very sure. I used the one in the men's shoe department in Myer. But I will double-check next time I go to DJs.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

As meister said somethings wrong. And shoe fitting really isn't a dark art. You've heard th old saying : If the shoe fits - wear it.

The Athletic Foot or Foot locker or ?? (or some similar sounding name) is a good place to go for a fit.

They have a super modern thingo that looks at footprint, interesting in terms of a quick and dirty but not as good as a podiatrist video and exam.

The Athletic Foot place often has student podiatrists as sales people.

They dont seem to mind if you just go in for a fitting. Keep in mind they are for sport shoes and "walkers" and I think USA sizes, but for all that they will use a Brannock and know how to use it.

I always think anyone who cares about their feet should have a basic exam by a podiatrist. They will look at gait, pronation etc and advise on foot health. A good podiatrist should also be able to give you your shoe requirements. Mine specifically recommends against "soft" shoes like Rockports for foot problems. He reckons around 60% of even serious foot problems are caused by ill fitting shoes. Naturally womens feet suffer the most but men will wear too small or too big shoes for years. Just look around you.

As you will have noted blahman wears womens shoes and I would not advise going down that route.Unless like J Edgar Hoover you find it very very relaxing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.