Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

They say never worn, and they seem never worn looking at the soles, but there seem to be use creases on the top?

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I'm surprised they're still for sale! It's a great price! They're in my size as well but I'm not in the market for brogue derby shoes.

3. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I'm a bit late;
    Brooksfield in World Square (opposite [C]Oxford and Jack[off] London) stock Edwin Denim. I bought a pair of Edwin Sen Selvage jeans for $129 on Boxing Day. If you get there quick, you'll be able to get a pair for $180 or so, down from $239.

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Well I hope you've learned your lesson :)

5. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

I'd like a blue suit that's "not quire navy". Perhaps a bit like this:

http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com/post/4075064843/loro-piana-the-wave-drakes-herringbone

Or this....

http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com/post/4050593155/loro-piana-the-wave-drakes-navy-twill-thomas

and potentially a shirt if I can deal with the financial commitment...I don't earn enough!

6. lennier

lennier Senior member

I'm biting the bullet on a cotton suit I think. Only problem is the fabric I think I want was out of stock and I don't know if it will all be doable before summer is over...

7. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

I've been thinking of getting a navy 3-piece suit and a blue sportscoat (probably a whisker lighter than navy, but we'll see)... The trouble is trying to find the time for an appointment (living a 4 hour or so drive from Adelaide)!

8. Deapht

Deapht Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

lined or 1/4 lined?

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'll bet blahman only went there 'cos the girl trapped in that glass toilet cubicle was dressed in Hello Kitty gear.

11. Tano

Tano Senior member

Shoulder is one of the most important fits to get right, most other measurements can be taken in/out a little bit. Tight shoulder will pull across the back and will make range of motion more difficult. For me, i wouldnt go more than 1/2" less than my ideal shoulder measurement but i do go up to 1" larger and then get the chest and waist taken in. The price seems good

12. math_grad

math_grad Member

Ok guys just started my first 'proper' job and the office dress code oddly requires a tie but no need for a jacket :eh: I've been searching this forum for recommendations on brands for ties but couldn't find any standouts. Looking for under $60 preferably. I was thinking Herringbone outlet or specials (some for $70 at the moment). Are any of u familiar with 3 wise men, they seemed to have some ok stuff for a reasonable price.

13. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I'm all about Lands End on the low end (very good value, esp. on the 'bay, and they have 3.25" widths), and Sam Hober on the high. Don't really need much else...

14. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Chester Barrie make (or made) good quality stuff, but speaking personally, I wouldn't get that jacket.

Firstly, the cut looks a bit dated, as the buttons are lower than is the current trend. This was a popular style back in the 1980s, but nowadays (and in earlier decades, too), the buttoning point is typically a bit higher.

Secondly, as the cut looks rather dated, it is too expensive even though I'm sure that it is well-made. You should be able to find a something such as a brand-new-with-tags (BNWT), made-in-Italy Polo RL navy jacket on eBay for only $100 or $200 more than that. Alternatively, here in Australia, look at Herringbone or MJ Bale during sale time if you happen to have a store near you.

Thirdly, the jacket has metal buttons. This is a stylistic choice - blazers usually have metal buttons and some people like them. I prefer brown horn or corozo nut buttons, as they look nice without standing out quite as much as metal buttons. Personally speaking, I think that metal buttons make the jacket a bit less versatile as I'd feel a bit odd wearing it with jeans as well as with trousers.

Fourth and finally, don't buy a jacket if it looks as though the shoulder width is too narrow for you as that is one thing that you cannot alter - you can let out quite a few other seams (by a little bit, at least) but you can't let out the shoulders of a jacket. Before buying online, it's best to find a jacket that fits you well and to take the measurements from that. You can then compare that to the stuff that is available online so as to get a better idea of what will fit you or not.

15. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Three Wise Men are okay -- I have a knit tie I bought at a steep discount on the cheap. Sure, it's made of Polyester, and feels like a limp snake, but it's handsome and 3 inches wide, so I don't care. Their woven silk ties are a bit lame though.
    Otherwise, your best bet just might have to be Ebay if you're after quality X cheapness. I've seen Drakes and Alexander Olch ties for about $70 on there.

You could just throw in the towel and go to TheTieBar.com?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.