Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip

Philip Senior member

Anyone know where to get boot trees, or will normal shoe trees work just as well? Thanks.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Not at all, thanks FXH this is very helpful.

I'm 5'10", 66.5kg and I wear 30" trousers. I do have long arms (69.5cm sleeve for shirts) and probably long hands as well (never thought about that). I'm fairly convinced that OTR jackets are never going to fit me well, but thought I would try a few before taking the (expensive) MTM plunge.

Some 36Rs seem to fit me well in the chest and shoulders, but the jacket length and sleeve lengths are always too short. I guess that affects button stance as well, as I have a longer torso than the average 36R.

In summary, perhaps I should try and find a 36L?

3. eightace

eightace Senior member

Gents,

Just in case you missed it first time around, I have the best post-Christmas bargain in the country. Observe:

[​IMG]

They're Herring Raleighs in burgundy, size UK7F, and they're yours for $195 + postage if applicable (I paid $320).

They've been worn twice, so they're like new.

Box, bags, trees everything.

PM me if interested, curious, or you just want more pics.

Cheers,

eightace

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

I don't think Herringbone does S/R/L sizing. Besides the Osaka block, that other slightly more generous block (forgot about the name) has a longer length which I think is close to the length of 38 Osakas. 36L would be too long for you I think. In my opinion, the whole cover your arse thing about jackets, like just about everything with clothing, is more a simplified rule of thumb. More importantly is that thing about balance that everyone is on about. For a person with relatively long torso compared to legs I don't see any harm in shorter jacket and with higher rise trousers pulled up higher to shorten the torso and lengthen the legs would bring more balance. Sleeves are still a problem though as showing too much cuff would just exaggerate arm length.

But then again, I might be talking out of my arse.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

That's right - Herringbone doesn't make different lengths.

The only other off-the-rack block at present (as far as I am aware) is the New York block, but I'm not sure if they make that many suits in that block any more. B-man is right, though, in that the NY block is slightly longer, slightly more generously cut and slightly more structured than the Osaka block. [At least, dredging into the memory banks, I think that it is the NY block. Please don't crucify me if I am wrong...]

6. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Love the way you have sneaked in a couple of Australian icons in the background of that pic! Should send it to Herring.

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Tobiasj - my 2cents is that the jacket looks fine sans the sleeve length. Assuming there is room to let them out I don't see anything wrong with it. On the topic of button stance, I think it is a personal preference thing. I suspect that there is a preference with a number of users for a lower button stance, probably influenced by the Tom Ford look. I used to like this look too, but Tom at PJohnson has probably influenced me to go slightly higher (albeit not dramatically), to a point similar to the jacket you're trying on. He would say too low and it can make you look 'top heavy' throwing off the balance of the entire suit.

Anyhow, there is a whole thread on button stance if you do a search (I think it's called the button stance thread).

8. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Interesting article in the SMH newsprint version, doesn't appear to be posted as yet, Tailor Made for the Screen: examines the sartorial changes of men's suits from the 20's to the 60's.

9. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

And here are the results of my straw poll (NB: posted in main forum as well):

quar -- sleeves too short
    calogero -- sleeves too short, jacket length perfect
    The Ernesto -- sleeves too short, jacket length ok
    Journeyman - sleeves too short, jacket a touch short, button stance fine
    Charlie's Wardrobe -- looks great bar the sleeve length
    fxh -- almost long enough if that was all there was but also the sleeves look a bit short, button point will be ok
    CHECKstar -- jacket looks fine sans the sleeve length
    ter1413 -- sleeves are short
    reidrothchild -- sleeves are obviously short,chest and shoulders look great. Length of the jacket is on the short side, but not too short IMO
    Poloboy -- The jacket is way too short, sleeves are too short, button stance is too high
    comrade -- (+1) The jacket is way too short, sleeves are too short, button stance is too high
    Master-Classter -- overall fit around chest and shoulders is good, sleeves are a bit short, so is the body, but the proportions are off
    jrd617 -- Too short, and too much waist suppression
    GBR -- Sleeves too short and body both too short and tight
    razl -- shoulders/chest OK, Sleeves by 1"+ and length by 1"-2"+
    lostron -- sleeves too short and body both too short and tight

What's wrong with this jacket?
    ------------------------------
    Sleeves too short -- 14/16
    Jacket length too short -- 9/16
    Too much waist suppression -- 3/16
    Button stance too high/proportions off -- 3/16

...Interesting, no?

10. eightace

eightace Senior member

It's to let Sydneysiders know that these beautiful shoes could be theirs today!

Another:
    [​IMG]

11. blahman

blahman Senior member

And the funny thing is you never posted a full length pic.

12. meister

meister Senior member

13. AscotBlue

AscotBlue Member

Hey everyone, bit of help.

Any trusted watch repairers in Sydney? First I have my datejust which was a gift that i never wore... the first time i decide to wear it in years and I managed to rip the crown off... *sigh*

Secondly I have an old Royce watch from Great-Grandpa that I would like in working order again.

Any help would be appreciated.

14. meister

meister Senior member

There is a very qualified Indian gent in Manly Vale who fixed up/rehabbed my 1944 Omega very successfully.... here is the address:

Sharma Swiss Watchmakers
    Swiss qualified watchmaker. Watch Repairs of Modern and Antique Watches. Complete restoration of special family watches. Watch Batteries, Band and Small Repairs while you wait
    Mon – Fri : 9:00 am – 5:30 pm
    Saturday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
    3, 226 Condamine St, Manly Vale, Sydney NSW, 2093
    Phone: (02) 9949 7887
    Fax: (02) 9949 9880

15. apple3210

apple3210 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

has any1 in perth had experience with G&A Farvazzo for shirt alterations?

looking to get some darts put in the back and the sides of the shirt slimmed (taken in??). have read that he is recommended on this board.

also, would i have to be specific with what i want or can i just rock up and say i want darts put in the back and the sides to be slimmer?

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.