Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Anyone pickup any good deals on Boxing day? I was working through Christmas & boxing day so I missed out.
    Had a day off today to do some catchup. Dropped by DJ, Myer, Harrolds and it has been very uninspiring.

Dunhill cufflinks @ DJ that I wanted was not on sale. Bugger.
    Z Zegna still have good stuff but the colours & materials weren't my type. Although there is this gorgeous Z Zegna 100% cashmere Peak Lapel Black sports coat size EU 50 for $800+++ 50% off if anyone's interested. Didn't check the shoes section as I was there last week and nothing interesting. Seems like the shoe stock has remain stagnant for a while.

Harrolds hardly had any interesting items on sale. Tom Ford isn't on sale (except eyewear & apparently will not go on sale ever at Harrolds (ironically, few months ago, they had shoes for half price, and some sports coats with 30-40% off at Crown). Moreschi & Artoli shoes are still full price. Bugger, bugger.

Got a few al cheapo merino wool socks & off I went. At least I didn't spend much. Anyone pick up any goodies?

2. AscotBlue

AscotBlue Member

I get more and more disappointed at the offerings Australia has for menswear.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

I am off to the 'big smoke' (Sydney) on Friday and are the Herringbone knit ties on sale? And if so which store has the best selection?

I might have a look at DJ's and wander around Centrepoint.

Any one here use Creed Green Irish Tweed? If so how would you rate it and describe it?

4. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Fit critique please:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I right in thinking the sleeves are a fraction short? What about the jacket itself -- also short?

This is the jacket from a fused Herringbone suit in 130s wool. $645 -- reckon it's worth it? (I'd say it's a bit expensive...)

5. quar

quar Senior member

Sleeves too short.

Doesn't seem expensive to me, are the pants included at that price?

6. calogero

calogero Well-Known Member

@tobiasj: The sleeves are a bit short, the jacket length is perfect to me though.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Thanks guys. Yes the price includes trou as well. Anyone hazard a guess as to whether this jacket is Osaka block? Regardless, I like the cut. I suppose $645 is reasonable for a staple OTR suit, though I wonder whether I should put it towards P Johnson instead...

8. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Agree with other comments. Sleeves too short. Jacket length OK.

9. Philip

Philip Senior member

so i'm getting a lil bigger in the middle and I need to let out the waist in one of my old blazers. Can anyone recommend a tailor in Sydney? Sorry getting fit is not an option

10. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I posted on the main board about this as well, and some people said that the button stance on the jacket (pics above) is too high. I don't know much about button stance, but does anyone agree that it would ideally be different?

11. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

My preference is for the first button to be at my waist or very close. I don't know what the ideal would be.

On another note, American Tailors are getting some new Carminas in very shortly :)

Also, when I was at Henry Buck's in Melbourne on Boxing Day, I overheard one of the staff mentioning that their big sale was on Feb 3 and that this one was just a small one.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Agree that the sleeves are too short, but they should be able to be let out a little bit. I don't think that Herringbone does working buttonholes on suits anymore and if so, that would make it easier to let the sleeves out.

The suit would be on the Osaka block, and I think that it is a three-roll-to-two (ie the lapel rolls down to the second button, and you don't button the top button). I think that the buttoning stance is fine, particularly as it is a 3-roll-2.

For my tastes, the jacket is perhaps just a touch short, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker. As long as you can lengthen the sleeves a bit I think that it will look good.

13. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That's a load of bullshit that the Button point is too high. It looks great bar the sleeve length which easily fixable these days on herringbone stuff

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

hence it's important to know, how to fit your shoes, imo.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

tobias - always a bit risky making pronouncements on fit etc for people you don't know on the basis of a dodgy photo. But you did ask.

Its always a bit hard to tell about a suit when the whole suit isn't on and theres no tie or white shirt in a photo.

Theres something off about the whole thing for you. ( going back I realise the first photo the jacket bottom is caught up on one side and in the bottom photo its still stitched up. - not all so bad after all)

Its almost long enough if that was all there was but also the sleeves look a bit short. Or rather it looks to me as if you have long arms and you certainly seem to have long hands. I'd suggest you need to think in terms of how you shirt, jackets sleeves etc might fit you best and not emphasise the long arms and hands ( if indeed you have long arms). If you do have long arms and then have a LOT of shirt cuff showing - it tends to look as if you have slipped on your small brothers jacket and it doesn't fit. Someone with shorter arms doesn't have this problem so much. You might do better with longer jacket sleeves and showing a lot less cuff.

If the sleeve and length looks a bit short then maybe you need a different jacket to get the proportions right rather than just altering that one.

Actually when I look at the middle photo again, (the one with that fish swimming past!!) the jacket looks to be long enough. It will look ok with matching pants. I suspect you have long arms and need to make allowance.

How tall are you? what size waist?

Button stance is largely a matter of preference. I think with a tie that that jacket button point will be ok on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.