Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Welcome Smeggett. What did you get?

2. fox81

fox81 Senior member

Yes, this location. The store is actually called amyst.
    Theyre closing the city store but have another in williamstown apparently.
    It hasn't been there that long.

3. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Dont get me started have had gut full of scruburbia and public servants this week. Not to mention 17 year old boys. I think i need a large G'n'T. But have to keep working as some Gorgon in the corridors of power shifted a report deadline ahead a day. Merde!

Only issue with anything purchased online at this time of year is postage and arrivals of said objects. Snail mail already is in dire straights and even recent purchase from England arrived a week later than usual.

4. blahman

blahman Senior member

Checking in again after Japan trip.

Went to Isetan Men's at Shinjuku. Scared me to bits. B1F level completely full of men's shoes C&J Weymouths about 70,000yen, Edward Greens about 150,000yen and 200,000+yen for a pair of Lobbs. Went as far up as 2nd floor before feeling way too poor to proceed.

Went into a few other more 'normal' department stores that are outside just about every single station: Marui, Tokyu, Loft etc. Paul Smith and Burberry Black are pretty standard.

In the end stumbled across a massive The Suit Company outlet store in Ueno just off Ameyayakocho. 4 levels of wonderous affordable menswear up to 50% off retail price. Quality is mixed depending on the price point. Shoes can be glued, Blaked or Goodyeared, made in Japan, China or Italy and range between 8,000 and 25,000 yen for the hardcore double soled, full broguing tank of a long wing.. Their ties also range between 2000 and 5000 yen after sale price also made in Japan, China or Italy and a couple of Alteas. Their suits and jackets are made in China, but with good fabrics including Harris Tweeds and Angelico fabrics. They all have working cuffs button holes, some with corozo or MOP buttons, and suits that has original price of 29900 seem to be half canvassed and the 39900 one I felt seem to be fully canvassed. I ended up finding my 'perfect' suit size and model there with just about spot on in every measurement including sleeve length(!). Bought 1 light tweed, and 1 Super 110 brown suit for 14,500yen each, both half canvassed. Bought 1 wool/cashmere completely unlined and unstructured jacket for about 6000yen and a black grenadine looking woven tie with silver and purple stripes and no interlining for 2700 yen and a felty (melange?) blue semi stretch 99% wool slim pants for 5000yen which I intend to cuff. They also offered free next day pant hemming which I had to decline due to time constraints.

And that was my Tokyo sartorial related wrap up.

I love their fantastic customer service. Many times I felt almost guilty not to buy an item after being served by them but found that I don't really need it. I got greeted even if I just walk straight by and get service within seconds. Their manner is very humble and the one thing that came across is that they appear to be willing to assist you in any way they can. I didn't get any attitude problems that so often plague Australian customer service. Hell I get better service from Japanese 7-eleven than just about any store here.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

5. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

So so true

Irasshaimase!

6. smeggett

smeggett Senior member

Thanks Selvaggio.

I ended up choosing a mid-grey Zegna fabric. Suit was a 2-button SB number, double vents on the jacket... actually they say a picture tells 1000 words, so...
    [​IMG]

that's what I ended up with. You'll have to excuse the RMs, as I'm still trying to find me a decent Oxford shoe to wear with them. In conversation with Patrick he mentioned that the cuffs work better with a low cut shoe to provide a break between the shoe and trousers... I'm inclined to agree, so I think I'll see what if I can find a decent set of C&J when I'm back in Melb this christmas.

On another note, never having worn anything MTM before, I couldn't believe the feel and fit when I first put the pants on - it was a real eye-opener and conversion realising clothes really can fit my figure!!

I'm quite glad I stumbled upon this place in my search for decent clothing - I've learnt a lot, and I'd like to think some day I might know enough to give something back...

Cheers,

smeggett

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Thats just me pretending to be blahman in japan. Or vice versa.

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Yep, ended up buying a few pairs of socks there. There's still quite a few left but they're going fast. The Williamstown shop is apparently not doing so well because not everyone there is in the market for $30 socks ...

9. eightace

eightace Senior member

Hi gents,

These arrived today, and sadly, I'm not in love.

The last is really not my cup of tea. Too short.

So they'll be going back next week, unless someone here wants them (Sydneysiders only, sorry)

Size 7F.

PM me and I'll do you a deal.

10. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

11. kickstart

kickstart Senior member

They aren't my size but I'd be interested in hearing how expensive it was to ship them back to Herring, and also who with? Please let us know. I'm sometimes hesitant to order cause I can't find a cheap way to return them...

12. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[/quote]

They aren't my size but I'd be interested in hearing how expensive it was to ship them back to Herring, and also who with? Please let us know. I'm sometimes hesitant to order cause I can't find a cheap way to return them...[/quote]
    It's not cheap, as I have just found out first hand, twice. I ordered the cheaney Warwick in a 9 uk, it was too big and the last too chiseled and elongated, so I sent them back for a 8.5, still too long and had some finishing issues. Each time, it cost around $65 to ship them back air freight from Canberra.

I now have a pair of the dc Lewis on the way to try out. In a bench grade completely plain captoe balmoral, which seems to be a sleek, yet not elongated last.

13. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

A special thank you to those who made it along to Herringbone's Sartorial Evening last night at the Collins Place store in Melbourne. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening for us and we like hosting these events, so we hope that those who were in attendance also had a lovely time.

For those that missed it, we'll be posting pictures up at my blog The Discourse Circus, and Christian's blog, The Style Sage.

14. eightace

eightace Senior member

Will do.

15. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.