Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

What he said...Pink socks? Red too. Interested in OTC.

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Great idea Charlie - you've probably heard me whinge here about how hard it is to get decent stylish socks - without importing them individually from half way around the world which is ridiculous when you think about it.

Personally I think ribbed designs tend to look smarter than plain woven socks, and hold their form longer. Your colour choices sound good - there is no shortage of colourful stuff in the stores, it's the rich classic colours that seem to be in short supply. Also, I personally think mid calf is appropriate for our climate here; OTC socks seem to be more suitable for colder climes.

Good luck with the venture!

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Thanks everyone for the replies, some interesting answers there.

I'll also being doing pure cashmere scarves next year (100% Scottish woven and made) in some great colours. Mainly plain in navy, charcoal, mid grey, purple, camel, wine plus a few checks also. Looking at this stage being around the $99.95 price point which I think is very reasonable for the quality. These and the socks won't be up till the site launches in march though.

Ties will be here Friday and all going well more info will go up on the weekend.

Cheers
    Jason

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

4. jobro

jobro Senior member

Perth update

Parker and Co outlet have 70% off their trousers. Some great styles available, even a few pairs of linen. Copped some Pal Zileri pants @ $120 down from $390.

Had a suit altered by Michael in the London Court (stairwell H). He did a great job and his prices are very reasonable.

Herringbone and Thomas Pink both now have a retail section in the Perth David Jones. MJ Bale shirts are being sold in David Jones Claremont.

Parker & Co Claremont have a lovely Russian girl working the counter.

5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

From my experience linen beats tropical wool in the rural heat and its also good on the coast but humidity is a problem always found it cooler.

Agree about the capri pants and as for the cargo shorts there PRL plain khaki but the problem is no one make a decent knee length short. Also the multitude of pockets are useful in summer ( when it arrives) for the multitude of items one carries.

6. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

Endless has 40% off designer shoes which includes A.testoni, Magnanni and others. Worth a look.

7. Tano

Tano Senior member

I could only find 2 styles of Magnanni shoes on sale at endless.

Also where is the Parker and Co outlet located Jobro ?

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

Murray street, north of King street.

9. jobro

jobro Senior member

Whoops, double post.

10. meister

meister Senior member

Thanks I got a nice pair of Magnanni dub monks in burgundy. I have been after that colour. Notice that they still hit me up for USD10 for postage but what the heck. 40% off plus USD10 postage = USD261

11. hotmustardsauce

hotmustardsauce Active Member

The prices shown are before applying the discount.

You can get some nice hand burnished magnanni romas for $170ish posted. Good price.

Pics please when they arrive.

12. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Fletcher Jones is closing down! Today is going to be a GOOD day.

13. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

Do you mean everywhere and forever or just your local one?

14. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Fletcher Jones on the brink

Venerable clothing retailer Fletcher Jones last night became the latest casualty of the gloom gripping Australian retail, being placed in administration after 93 years in the tailoring trade.

The company joined a string of retail sector failures this year that includes outdoors wear chain Colorado, Borders bookstores, and fashion groups Ed Hardy, Bettina Liano, Brown Sugar and Satch.

Staff at Fletcher Jones’ 45 stores across Australia were told of the predicament at 4pm meetings yesterday.

Fletcher Jones stores will continue to trade while administrator Bruno Secatore of Cor Cordis assesses the company’s situation.

‘‘It’s business as usual for customers and everyone,’’ he said last night, after confirming he had been appointed.

Founded in 1918 in Warrnambool by World War I veteran David Fletcher Jones, the company expanded through the 1920s and 1930s to become a postwar manufacturing success story that at its peak employed 3000 at four factories.

But it was hit by the rise of Chinese manufacturing and the dismantling of clothing tariffs from the 1980s.

Fletcher Jones' current owners, the Dimmick family, bought it in 1995. They slashed the number of shops, closing stores in shopping centres where rent was expensive in favour of lower-rent shopping strips.

theage.com.au

15. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

That's really a sign of the times isn't it. There is (was?) as large FJ store on George Street and whenever I went past it was always empty of customers.

It would be nice to think new owners may come in and do something with the brand - but I think it is probably too late for that.

I think Jason used to work at FSs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.