Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Depending on his workload, a guy named Mikhail Zenon could help you out. I send my denim alterations interstate to him - he's a real credit to Australia's denim industry IMO.

If more thigh room is what you need and you're already satisfied with the APC NS denim, then opt for the Rescue cut and either wear them as is, a fuller fitting jean, or have them tapered.

Re: the belt, no biggie as I tend not to wear one.

2. thebrownman

I wear t-shirts in summer on the hottest days.

Bring on the SF hate! :slayer:

3. thebrownman

We usually have common sizes (7-10) in stock or can source them from an interstate store. In some cases, we need to get stock directly from C&J which can take months to arrive as it must be specially made. You can tell your size from other shoes built on the same last, but in my experience, you want to test the fit of a loafer. Pop in whenever you have a moment and try on some sizes. We have 9.5E in the Sydney in stock.

4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

No hate here, me too!

My weekends generally consist of riding bikes, fishing and bumming around in cafes or in the outdoors, so my dress reflects that.

The thinking that you should have to wear jackets and shirts on the weekends (or sometimes ties in waywrn) is kind of ridiculous for us Aussies especially. In summer, it's shorts, tees and thongs or jack purcells on the weekends when it's hot. If its not that hot plain dark denim and white t-shirts are usually the go.
    Going out etc is a different story obviously but I'd say most SF members wouldn't recognize me as a member on the weekends, and I kind of like it that way.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

5. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

My weekends consist of riding a vintage powder-blue Vespa around cobblestoned streets while a gorgeous woman clutches my waist and laughs gaily, tossing her hair and exposing her perfect teeth, at the witticisms I periodically throw over my shoulder.

For that, jackets and shirts are perfect.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I don't understand making such a fuss about dressing up for work...and then bumming around in Abercrombie and Fitch T-shirts on the weekend.

7. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

After living for years in Wagga with bouts of 42c+ running for a couple of weeks on end in summer I became a confirmed linen wearer or else it was shorts and being a cultural creative I even fronted a lecture or workshop wearing them. I wont mention the mambo shirts.

If one is going to sloth out on a hot weekend at least do it in style. I wear polos and cargo shorts during the day and depending on the situation I may even iron the cargo shorts. I had a great collection of Bombay Bloomers which I wore for years, either ex Army or Gowings who did make a reasonable pair. I never wore three quarter length pants as i always though Capri pants were for women.

I haven't owned a pair of thongs in years I prefer sandals.

While at night its linen shirts and Bills Khakis for most summer occasions and I do have Black Bills for formal occasions and a blue linen jacket to go with them, only problem with the Bills was changing the brown buttons to black but the wife can sow. Culturally the only way to cut in this country in summer is linen but given the humidity on the coast even then its risky.

8. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I have found on really hot days that a loose fitting long-sleeve linen shirt beats wearing a T-shirt hands down.

9. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

I hope this doesn't seem snarky in print, because that's not my intention, but wouldn't tapering your trousers emphasise your narrow legs? Would a fuller leg give more balanced silhouette ?

10. thebrownman

It depends on the fabric and the type of trouser/its purpose or when and where I wear it. When altering trousers I'm sort of changing the fit to the way it would fit if my legs were in the same proportion as the RTW manufacturer intended. On some occasions I go past this to my own likes and dislikes about how I like to wear clothes. It's something that falls into the "it depends" basket. Although, I think I've talked up the skinny-ness of my legs a bit much, haha..

On some trousers, I wouldn't do it. On others, I view it as a necessity. It really depends man. Many slim trousers are categorically baggy from the knee down and so tapering them actually helps rather than hinders. FWIW, I have trouser leg openings of 6.75" laid flat across the hem to 9" on others.

11. Selvaggio

Selvaggio Senior member

The art and science of fit... I have the opposite problem. I prefer a fuller cut on trousers ...perhaps because I am a fuddy-duddy about these things. But I don't have skinny legs (or anything really) and I am coming to the realisation that slimmer actually looks better for me. Though, as you say, it depends...

12. eightace

eightace Senior member

Gents,

I need your help.

I can't decide between these (Herring Chamberlain)

[​IMG]

and these (Herring Raleigh II)
    [​IMG]

So I thought I'd follow someone else's lead and ask you guys.
    As far as I can tell, the only difference is the Chamberlains might be made from finer leather than the Raleigh, but really it's the colour I can't decide on.
    Recommendations?

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depending on what the purpose is and what trousers you have I'd go for the Raleigh - depending on the last.

Its a nice dark colour and would look good if you polished it in dark brown to take it darker. The brown with burgundy underneath looks great.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

with the iGentt prescribed no socks, high water mark pants cuffed at 4" and sweaty feet?

There is the added touch of appolyon's camo braces/suspenders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.